Akitas!

Zoom said:
Actually, it would. :) We've been working on walking "pretty" and he's getting better at it.
When Tank was going to daycare almost everyday he had Aki the Akita written down as his favorite playmate for the day. :)

Melissa_W

BigDog2191 said:
That's a good idea. Thanks panzer.

Here goes, here's what I want:

1) Don't care about shedding
2) Medium-large-sized dog
3) Nothing TOO active- wouldn't mind if it was pretty mellow and lazed around the house either
4) It would be nice if the dog could do some guarding if not, that's alright.
5) I don't know how EASY a German shepherd is to train compared to other dogs. But it was very easy for me to train Rocky. He LOVES our little obedience training sessions. So anything that's pretty smart and easily trained will do- I'd be willing to work a little harder with that if necessary though.
6) I want a somewhat independent dog- one that won't bawl it's eyes out if I leave for classes (this is for when I get somewhat older, possibly college).

Uh, I guess that's good enough. Any suggestions?

Maybe a Great Dane, an Old English Mastiff, or a Saint Bernard?

panzer426

Melissa_W said:
Maybe a Great Dane, an Old English Mastiff, or a Saint Bernard?
only problem I see with those is a pretty short life span, really high feeding bills and drool drool drool. other than that those are 3 great dogs.

One of these days you probably need a Fila pup, BigDoggy ;) The life span is longer, they don't eat as much as a lot of smaller dogs, and they don't really drool like the others. Plus, if you're planning on living in the South, they're better acclimated to the weather.

My neighbor's have an akita named Suki. From what I've seen he's a mean thing - he went to bite my sister when she tried to pet him, and whenever I walked past with the dogs, he'd start running up and down the fence at us. Once his owners had their nephew over and he told me to hurry up with my dog because his dog would jump the fence and bite us.
I like them OK, but they tend to be dominant and aggressive and need lots of training. I don't think they're bad dogs and I don't really hate Suki or akitas in general really, but I do think that if I ever got one I'd super socialize it so it would turn into a nice dog rather than a mean one.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Renee750il said:
One of these days you probably need a Fila pup, BigDoggy ;) The life span is longer, they don't eat as much as a lot of smaller dogs, and they don't really drool like the others. Plus, if you're planning on living in the South, they're better acclimated to the weather.
I'd love to have one! And with what you're telling me now, you only make me want one more! :D

suzy_99

I have a 3 1/2 month old akita/dalmatian mix names Shadow and while she definetely takes after the dalmatian more I can still see quite a bit of akita in her personality and so far I have no concerns whatsoever. I can tell you that she is an extremely high energy dog and at 2 1/2 months she was already dominant over my other 2 dogs. She is also somewhat resistant to obedience training, but she is so well behaved that we have not yet had to worry about this...yet. I will warn that they are extremely strong dogs as well...Shadow is already almost as strong as my 50lbs shelty mix and she only weighs 25 lbs. Personally, from the akita I see in her I would someday love to own one,.

Richie12345

It would be so awesome if you got to own a fila, Bigdog. Filas seem like awesome dogs, I would like to meet some

R

rottiegirl

Some information...

Akitas came from japan they were used as a hunting dogs. They are very large, up to 130 pounds. They get very attatched to their family. They are very clean and easy to potty train. They can become aggressive towards other dogs. They are very good with children. They are great guard dogs. They shed their coat twice a year. They do not bark unless there is good reason.They love to chase things including cats and small dogs. They should be the only dog. They do not like being teased and if they are they may bite.

Richie12345

rottiegirl said:
Akitas came from japan they were used as a hunting dogs. They are very large, up to 130 pounds. They get very attatched to their family. They are very clean and easy to potty train. They can become aggressive towards other dogs. They are very good with children. They are great guard dogs. They shed their coat twice a year. They do not bark unless there is good reason.They love to chase things including cats and small dogs. They should be the only dog. They do not like being teased and if they are they may bite.
interesting, thanks for sharing

Members online

No members online now.