For those that have neutered adults (male) dogs...

Malakai was fixed at 2 years old. I didn't have a reason for doing it, I just had it done. He never lifted his leg in the house, never roamed the neighborhood (not that I would allow that) nor did he have any behaviour problems. Honestly, if I really had sat down and thought it through, I wouldn't have done it.

All my pets girls and boys, cats and dogs get done at 6 months whether they like it or not:p

Since I never had any intentions of breeding or showing, and dont need to be concerned with drive I figured get them done early and not worry about the problems that can arise.

Armani was the only one who I was counting the days until he was 6 months... he humped everything in site... i know lovely, right?
Well neutering did not help at all.... I have put a stop to all of it except dear Bella... he loves her soo much and is willing to endure the punishment in order to have his way with her:rolleyes:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sawyer was done by the rescue right before I got him. He was about 18 months old and at a pretty good age for it. He's never shown any signs of having problems, females in heat smell good but aren't overwhelming, he's never marked in the house, never went roaming...

My next male dog, providing he's not some outstanding specimen and I have the breeder's approval, will be neutered around 2 years old as well. I want the full growth and most of the maturity they get from the hormones, without having to get a "breeder's license" to have him.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo was neutered at 6 months because I didn't want little inbred Izzy/Frodo puppies :yikes: and I didn't trust myself and especially not the people I live with to help me keep them apart when Izzy was in heat.

Any future dogs I get will be neutered when they are mature (prob. at about 2 yrs.) because I don't plan on showing/breeding.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Ares was neutered at a year and a half. He was totally over the top in his search for Mrs. Right. His nose was glued to the ground and he walked on three legs, attempting to mark long after he'd run dry. I wasn't very experienced yet with dogs and the easiest solution at the time was to neuter.

Members online

No members online now.