Which foods contain organic ingredients?

Pomp

Organic fruits and veggies, steroid and anti-biotic free meats, etc?

Thanks.

Pomp

So, I'm considering switching foods. I currently feed my dogs Blue Buffalo, but the meniadone thing is starting to freak me out a little.

I'm basically down to Karma Organic vs. Innova EVO.

I eat all organic foods, so I figure my dogs should as well. I don't think Innova is organic, but it seems to have much more protein than Karma. I think Karma has only one meat source.

So there's my conondrum. Are Innova's meat sources at least hormone and antibiotics free?? Blue Buffalo's meat sources are free of these substances.

Advice? Recommendations?

Mordy

Quigleyfied

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The problem with organic foods is that they are grain-heavy, because the organic meat is very expensive.

Most holistic foods do have hormone and antibiotic free meat sources. Also, most do not contain menadione. I know that Nutro Ultra still uses menadione, but most "holistic" foods do not contain it.

Pomp

Yes they are.
http://naturapet.com/display.php?d=faq-detail&pxsl=//faq[@id='1061']

Karma is a really nice food, but I wouldn't feed it without supplementing fresh meat. I was given a bag once and Quigley liked it so much that I fed it as the morning meal and a nice raw meaty bone for the evening meal. It worked out great.

Mordy:

Our ingredients are not organically grown, but are human grade and tested by routine sample to be free of pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and chemical preservatives to laboratory standards.
If they are not organically grown, then how are they free of pesticides?

My dogs get bones every night, usually some type of chicken or beef. But, the Karma seems like it has barely any meat in it.

If I use Innova in the morning and also still give them the bones at night, it seems like they'll be getting protein up the ying-yang. It's a big protein jump from Blue Buffalo to Innova.

What do people think?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I just reread your post, and now I see that. Oops =/ .

Giving too many bones can actually constipate a dog... so I'm not sure if I would give raw bones every night. I know of a lot of people who will rotate kibble and bone... bone one night, kibble the next. I don't see any problems with the protein levels, as long as your dog isn't a couch potato and isn't too small of a dog because of the kidney problem risks.

Pomp

I just reread your post, and now I see that. Oops =/ .

Giving too many bones can actually constipate a dog... so I'm not sure if I would give raw bones every night. I know of a lot of people who will rotate kibble and bone... bone one night, kibble the next. I don't see any problems with the protein levels, as long as your dog isn't a couch potato and isn't too small of a dog because of the kidney problem risks.
I have two beagles and they're extremely active. They probably get 2+ hours of walking per day. Plus, they run around like lunatics in the house.

Pomp

Ok, so if I go with Innova EVO, this will be my dogs' daily diet. Critique away.

Morning: Innova EVO (with a few supplments added including salmon oil and also a mixture of nutritional yeast, kelp, bone meal, and lethicin)

Night: Frozen chicken wing or drumstick (they haven't been able to handle red meats -- not sure why)

During the day: They each get a Kong with a tablespoon of organic yogurt. And for treats, they'll get tiny cubes of freeze-dried liver.

Any suggestions?

There is a new organic food soon to be on the market called By Nature. I work for a pet product distributor that is soon to pick up this food. I recieved a sample at a product show. Both my dog and cats loved it, I mean loved it. My cats came running with their noses in the air. As soon as my company picks it up, I'm definatly going to try the cat food long term.

Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Ground Brown Rice, Organic Ground Oats, Organic Ground Barley, Lamb Meal, Organic Chicken Hydrolysate, Organic Peas, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavors, Monocalcium Phosphate, Organic Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Organic Dried Tomatoes, Organic Cranberries, Organic Carrots, Organic Spinach, Organic Kelp, Dried Chicory Root, Turmeric, Garlic, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.

Metabolizable Energy ........................ 350 kcal/cup

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) ........ 28%
Crude Fat (minimum) ................14%
Crude Fiber (maximum) ............. 4%
Moisture (maximum) ............... 10%
Copper (minimum) ..............25 ppm
Manganese (minimum) ........80 ppm
Zinc (minimum)................. 170 ppm
Vitamin A (minimum) .....5,500 IU/lb
Vitamin E (minimum) ........125 IU/lb
Taurine (minimum)*..............0.03%
* Not recognized as an essential
nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food
Nutrient Profiles.

It's $6.99 a 4lb and 22.00 for a 16lb bag on pet food direct right now.

The dog, however, is doing absolutly wonderful on Nature's Logic, which does use antibiotic and hormone free meat.

Members online

No members online now.