Long leashes ?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I know there's a thread about which long leash is best, but I have a different question. How do you keep the long leash from tangling around your dogs feet?

We got a cheap long leash for Talon when he was a puppy because the only place to exercise him is the park that is not fenced in. It worked fine when he was small, but he grew legs. So we quickly learned the goofy teenage puppy legs liked to get wrapped up in the leash. We were constantly unwrapping his legs, but after one bad incident of him hitting the end of the leash with it wrapped around his leg, we went without the leash. For a while he dragged his regular leash, as it never got wrapped around, it's not long enough. But now he just goes off-leash most of the time as he's reliable.

But it's been bugging me. How do you guys use a long leash as a safety stop in case they don't listen, but preventing them from hurting themselves by getting tangled in it? After that we have never used the long leash. I don't know if we ever will again, though I'm sure having a better leash would help. :p

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Rosey just learned not to be stupid and get tangled. :lol-sign:
Ok, guess I have to rephrase. For people who have too stupid to realize dogs, dogs who just don't care if it means slowing down, or people unwilling of taking the risk of their dogs getting hurt then :p

I'm not sure if Talon is just too focused/stupid to realize, or if he just didn't care if it meant he got his ball/toy/whatever, and I wasn't willing to take the risk a second time. ;)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Nola never really got tangled in hers, but I did teach her to lift her legs out of it on cue.
I taught Art how to life his legs out of his leash, but he's a bit more sensitive. He is smart enough to slow down, think, and then untagle. Talon must just be a special kind of dumb :rolleyes: :rofl1:

I guess the problem isn't the leash, it's the dog LOL

Maxy24

CaliTerp07

It was easier to carry cheese in my pocket and train a recall than it was to keep the long line from getting tangled. Seriously, I just gave up. That thing was awful.

If she really has to be on a long leash, I'll use a flexi.

Rosey just learned not to be stupid and get tangled. :lol-sign:
lol, no dog can be as awesome as Rosey.

I have 2 different leashes that I use with Hudson. I have a plain, cotton leash from ... Amazon I think. Then I got tired of that, so I took some rope we had in the basement and turned it into a leash.

But, if you have a dog that gets tangled easy, I would go with something kind of thick that can't tangle on itself. eg. I've heard with horses, if you are going to stake them out, put the line through a hose, then it won't tangle/wrap around their leg. Can't say I've done it.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The only long line I liked was a 1.5 inch wide 20 foot line made out of something, nylon probably, but it was more like seatbelt material and woven similar so that it didn't pick up any debris, even when it was wet. It did require keeping a hand on the line if we were walking, but it was difficult for any dog on it to get tangled in it, and I'm not sure why.

Every rope long line, every cotton line, I've ever had, ever got tangled terribly. And the plastic ones that float like the last link posted I hate, and will burn the CRAP out of your leg if you get it tangled on you. I've never had a bad burn because I'm always aware of where the line is, but I've also seen scars from long lines on dog trainers ankles lol.

I'd look into a biothane long line. I covet one tremendously.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah I hate my long lead lol. Forget getting tangled in legs... mine always manages to get tangled around trees or plants and whatnot. I used it when Juno was younger for teaching a recall and it worked okay in big open spaces where she could drag it. But otherwise yeah not something I enjoy using. I caved and got a Flexi for Happy, it upsets me that it's not really something she can drag around, but at least it doesn't get all tangled up in everything.

MicksMom

Are you holding the leash, or is he dragging it? When Caleb was young, I had him dragging a long line anytime we were in the yard. After almost breaking my ankle a couple of times, I realized the line was too long, and cut it to about 15 feet. I never really had a problem with it getting wrapped around Caleb's legs, tho. Probably because he wore his SureFit harness, and it was snapped to the ring on his back.

Members online

No members online now.