"Beware of Dog" issues

Meggie

Puckstop31 said:
:)

I gotta look up the laws about using lethal force in Canada. I know I could not use a handgun, but if I have my shotgun in our house, some fool breaks in and I send him to meet God... What happens to me? Would I be villified like I think I would be? I can just see the head line now...

"Crazy American shoots desperate man". :)

Still, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Not sure about lethal force either, but if I were protecting my kids I don't think I'd be too worried if the guy crawled or was carried out. You can own a hunting rifle, as far as I know, but there are laws as to how it's stored. So you'd have to be quick about getting the lock off it and it loaded. LOL, I'm sure you would be.

Btw, where you're moving to you'd most likely get broken into while you're out, and they'd be after your gun. Haven't heard of too many break-ins while somebody was home.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Meggie said:
Not sure about lethal force either, but if I were protecting my kids I don't think I'd be too worried if the guy crawled or was carried out. You can own a hunting rifle, as far as I know, but there are laws as to how it's stored. So you'd have to be quick about getting the lock off it and it loaded. LOL, I'm sure you would be.

Btw, where you're moving to you'd most likely get broken into while you're out, and they'd be after your gun. Haven't heard of too many break-ins while somebody was home.

It won't be a rifle, it will be a shotgun. A rifle is just the wrong weapon for home defence. Plus, storage laws be damned, it will be loaded and usable with in 15 seconds. No point in having a object that cannot do what it is designed to do.

If they come into the house when I am not there, lucky them. I care NOTHING about my stuff. I can get more stuff, I just can't get another Tanya or Teddy.

[Mr. T voice] "I pity the fool who breaks into MY house." [/Mr. T voice]

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I live in rural Texas. 'Nuff said. When you break into someone's home when they're still home, it's basically a given that you will be shot. We have a pistol-grip shotgun in our house. Worthless for hunting, it's strictly for home defense. I think it's sad that having something like that is perfectly acceptable, but having a dog that is willing to attack an intruder is such a sin.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Gempress said:
I live in rural Texas. 'Nuff said. When you break into someone's home when they're still home, it's basically a given that you will be shot. We have a pistol-grip shotgun in our house. Worthless for hunting, it's strictly for home defense. I think it's sad that having something like that is perfectly acceptable, but having a dog that is willing to attack an intruder is such a sin.
I agree, it is sad. However I can understand it in some ways. There isn't a likely chance of your gun getting out of your house/yard and attacking someone innocent. Granted, a well-trained, well socialized guard dog will not do this but many dogs will. A large, aggressive dog can be as dangerous as a gun in the wrong hands.

As far as the beware of dog signs go.. I think that's ridiculous. The beware of dog sign IS an effort to protect the public from my dog. I have them up so people KNOW there is a dog on the premesis, that they should enter with caution and expect a dog to come running at them. I would rather see a sign alerting me to the presence of a dog in the yard, than to enter a yard and be surprised that there is a dog there. Again, it's a warning to expect a dog. It is NOT warning someone that I have an aggressive dog. Strong, fast and exuberant, yes. But not mean. He is not a protection dog, if he was I would have a sign saying "guard dog on duty" to warn people of that.

ETA - And yes, I grew up on a ranch in an extremely rural area in Northern Idaho where security was much like that where Gempress lives. If someone tried to break in while we weren't home, the dogs would be on them before they even got in the door. If someone broke in while we were home, the two guard dogs would be the least of their worries! (Beware of owner! :D)

panzer426

talk to your home owners or renters insurance agency. they will know which way is the safest where you live.
I have had several insurance agencies in different states tell me that I am safer by posting a beware of dog sign because it lets possible tresspassers know that there is a dog here. also lets legitamate people such as utility workers, meter readers, land surveyors etc know that they need to knock on my door rather than hop the fence. by the way federal law does permit land surveyors to enter any property (outside, not inside your home) without alerting you or asking permission.
I have also had one in a different state inform me that having a beware of dog sign reduced my chances of winning if a tresspasser got bitten by my dog because it was like admitting "hey everyone, my dog is aggressive and WILL bite you."

Members online

No members online now.