Tired doggeh!

Kimbers

My brother just got home for college a couple days ago. I'm still in school, but since he was going to be around the house, I mentioned that he could take Kailey for a run. Well, I got home yesterday and the little pup was sound asleep. Normally, she perks up and gets the "somebody's home!!!" zoomies whenever someone walks in the door, but not yesterday. I asked my brother what the heck he did to my dog.
I forgot that a run for me is only a mile or two at a time. Apparently, the little cattle dog did six in one go...

lizzybeth727

Wow! It's definately something to wear out a cattle dog, LOL!

My friend was dogsitting my other friend's young (2-ish years old) lab. The dog has TONS of energy and basically has no idea how to calm himself. Also he'll fetch a ball literally until he dies. I think. Anyway, my friend who was dogsitting him decided he needed a LOT of exercise, so she played fetch with the dog for something like 2 hours trying to tire him out. She only stopped playing because the dog had a SEIZURE. She ran the dog to the vet and found out the seizure was probably caused by too much exercise. :eek: Now I'm uber careful whenever I dog sit to ask the owner how much exercise the dog is used to so I don't overdo it. :)

~Tucker&Me~

Wow! It's definately something to wear out a cattle dog, LOL!

My friend was dogsitting my other friend's young (2-ish years old) lab. The dog has TONS of energy and basically has no idea how to calm himself. Also he'll fetch a ball literally until he dies. I think. Anyway, my friend who was dogsitting him decided he needed a LOT of exercise, so she played fetch with the dog for something like 2 hours trying to tire him out. She only stopped playing because the dog had a SEIZURE. She ran the dog to the vet and found out the seizure was probably caused by too much exercise. :eek: Now I'm uber careful whenever I dog sit to ask the owner how much exercise the dog is used to so I don't overdo it. :)
Wow how scary! I have noticed with some dogs they just don't know when to stop, so it's so important to not go overboard. If they act crazy in the house and are getting sufficient amounts of exercise I think it's more of a training problem than a "they need more exercise" problem. Spy is one of those dogs who has no sense of self preservation (though does settle in the house nicely) so I am constantly keeping an eye on him in the sun when we are out to make sure he doesn't overdo it.

Kimbers

About being able to wear out a cattle dog... She sometimes has a ton of energy (like when we snowshoed eleven miles through snow deeper than her shoulders) but she crashes a lot. Even if she barely leaves the house, she'll sometimes crash in her crate. She's kinda like me, I guess; if there's nothing better to do, sleep.

The main thing I was concerned about were her paw pads, though. Luckily, my brother was smart enough to let her run on grass. (Our other dog got huge blisters when he did similar mileage because he refuses to run on grass.)

Members online