Gecko People

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So my crested gecko, Tameraire, is about 8 months old now. I originally thought he was going to be a boy as Tam had prominent white bumps on either side of the base of his tail, but now I'm not sure. 8 months should be old enough to sex them 100% or do you have to wait longer?

Also, what's your gecko like? And what's it's favorite hangout spot or peice in your terrarium?

I'm always looking for new things to add to his terrarium! ^_^

Has anyone ever had experience adding a second gecko to an older gecko? I know it's risky and they need to be the same size and another female. Tam is really easy going, doesn't seem territorial though you never really know. But I've got a serious itch for a second gecko >_< lol

*edit*

This is Tam today

Saeleofu

The white bumps, if they're what I think you're talking about, are just modified scales. NOT boy parts or girl parts. They're on all cresties.

How much does your gecko weigh? The differences are present from hatching, but until they reach a certain size, it's hard to see well enough to tell. Cresties are fairly easy to pore-sex, if you can get a good picture!

I would absolutely not add another gecko unless you have a HUGE enclosure, they're the same size, and both female. Male/female pairs are generally only kept together for breeding season and then separated in the winter, and male pairs can fight to the death. Female pairs, even, are prone to bullying each other, and it's just best if you keep them as singles. At best you'll have lost/injured tails, and at worst you'll have dead geckos. If you want another crestie, add another enclosure and keep them separated.

I have Jagrafess in a 12 x 12 x 18 Exo Terra (I'd like to upgrade soon, since he's growing up). He has a ceramic heat emitter now since my room hovers just above 40F (and sometimes drops to high 30s) in the winter. I had to put foam core board over the sides and front to keep the heat in (the back has a foam background), but since I did that he stays nice and toasty! Cool side (bottom) is around 60, sometimes a bit less, and the warm spot is mid-80s. I'm trying to think of a way to get that gradient in the summer, too, because he definitely likes to move around and self-regulate. He'll even "bask" in the heat at times. His favorite spot, though, is his humid hide.

Sometimes he'll curl up in his feeding ledge between feedings. He used to not ever eat from the ledge, I had to put the food on top of his humid hide, but now he loves his ledge!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Tennant is.... I'm not even sure how old, but it was apparent after about a month or so that he was definitely a boy. I have pictures on my FB and Instagram of him, and there is no mistaking him for a girl. I'm pretty sure Jagger is the same.

Ten's favorite spot is this fake tree/plant in his enclosure. I have him in a 55 gallon repurposed bowfront aquarium. He likes to hang out in the exact middle pretty much. Sometimes he sleeps curled up like Jagger is in his ledge (Ten doesn't have a ledge yet) on the plant because the leaves are stiff enough he can sleep however he wants. Sometimes he sleeps on it stretched out with his head buried in the middle of the plant lol.

I have a humid hide for him that's just a fish tank decorative rock that I turned on it's side and propped up. He gets fed on there and likes to throw his food dish off of it when he's done eating :p

He also has a TARDIS that I catch him hanging out on top of at night. He never does it during the day otherwise I'd post a picture because it's freaking cute and hilarious.

*Edit* You can see the bulge at the base of his tail, with the white scales. The scales are what Sael is talking about. The bulge is what makes him a boy ;)

Tennant and his TARDIS

1157679_3482898326554_1392656603_n by CharlieDogist, on Flickr

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
The white bumps, if they're what I think you're talking about, are just modified scales. NOT boy parts or girl parts. They're on all cresties.

How much does your gecko weigh? The differences are present from hatching, but until they reach a certain size, it's hard to see well enough to tell. Cresties are fairly easy to pore-sex, if you can get a good picture!

I would absolutely not add another gecko unless you have a HUGE enclosure, they're the same size, and both female. Male/female pairs are generally only kept together for breeding season and then separated in the winter, and male pairs can fight to the death. Female pairs, even, are prone to bullying each other, and it's just best if you keep them as singles. At best you'll have lost/injured tails, and at worst you'll have dead geckos. If you want another crestie, add another enclosure and keep them separated.

I have Jagrafess in a 12 x 12 x 18 Exo Terra (I'd like to upgrade soon, since he's growing up). He has a ceramic heat emitter now since my room hovers just above 40F (and sometimes drops to high 30s) in the winter. I had to put foam core board over the sides and front to keep the heat in (the back has a foam background), but since I did that he stays nice and toasty! Cool side (bottom) is around 60, sometimes a bit less, and the warm spot is mid-80s. I'm trying to think of a way to get that gradient in the summer, too, because he definitely likes to move around and self-regulate. He'll even "bask" in the heat at times. His favorite spot, though, is his humid hide.

Sometimes he'll curl up in his feeding ledge between feedings. He used to not ever eat from the ledge, I had to put the food on top of his humid hide, but now he loves his ledge!

Oh I know about the white spots now it was when I first got him I thought it meant he was a bit :) now I'm pretty sure he is a girl. Thanks for the info. Is this from personal experience or just reading? I've read much of the same so I knew this was mostly a pope dream. The cage I have now is to small for me to even think of being a second one right now anyways. I was more thinking when I got a large cage for tam. And if I did I would likely be ready to get a second cage if I needed. :)

I use to have a little scale for his weight but it broke so I'm not sure what his weight is right now. He is groWing though so if like to get a new one soon.

Where did you find that hiding How for him? I love it! I've tried finding something similar but can't seem to find anything quiet like it.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Tennant is.... I'm not even sure how old, but it was apparent after about a month or so that he was definitely a boy. I have pictures on my FB and Instagram of him, and there is no mistaking him for a girl. I'm pretty sure Jagger is the same.

Ten's favorite spot is this fake tree/plant in his enclosure. I have him in a 55 gallon repurposed bowfront aquarium. He likes to hang out in the exact middle pretty much. Sometimes he sleeps curled up like Jagger is in his ledge (Ten doesn't have a ledge yet) on the plant because the leaves are stiff enough he can sleep however he wants. Sometimes he sleeps on it stretched out with his head buried in the middle of the plant lol.

I have a humid hide for him that's just a fish tank decorative rock that I turned on it's side and propped up. He gets fed on there and likes to throw his food dish off of it when he's done eating :p

He also has a TARDIS that I catch him hanging out on top of at night. He never does it during the day otherwise I'd post a picture because it's freaking cute and hilarious.

*Edit* You can see the bulge at the base of his tail, with the white scales. The scales are what Sael is talking about. The bulge is what makes him a boy ;)

Tennant and his TARDIS

1157679_3482898326554_1392656603_n by CharlieDogist, on Flickr
Haha yup I can see he's a boy lol

White he has a huge area! Sadly tam only has a medium exoterra right now. Tam sleeps on the leaves like ten! Also omg I love his tardis!!!

What kind of bowls do you guys feed your guys in? I had a bowl for tam that I bought at outsmart that suction cupped to the glass but the to layer was peeling and I didn't think it looked safe so I threw it away and he gets feed from a little kid thing on the net in the top of his crate. I'm looking for a good bowl though.

Saeleofu

The hide he's sleeping in is actually a feeding ledge - the Ultimate Gecko Ledge from Pangea http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/pangea-ultimate-gecko-ledge-magnetic.html I have a large bowl in one side with water, and an adapter with a smaller bowl with food in the other side. When the food's not in, it's a napping spot ;)

I feed every other day, and do Clark's for two meals then Big Fat Gecko Smoothie for the third meal, then repeat. I want to add Black Panther Zoological Diet and Pangea Fruit Mix Complete to the rotation, too - hopefully then I'll be able to remove the Clark's from the rotation completely so I don't have to reorder it >.<

Aggression is not something I've had personal experience with, since I only have one gecko (and the two at work live separately), but I've heard other people have issues with it, and it's really NOT recommended. I will never have personal experience with it because it's not something I'm willing to risk.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
The hide he's sleeping in is actually a feeding ledge - the Ultimate Gecko Ledge from Pangea http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/pangea-ultimate-gecko-ledge-magnetic.html I have a large bowl in one side with water, and an adapter with a smaller bowl with food in the other side. When the food's not in, it's a napping spot ;)

I feed every other day, and do Clark's for two meals then Big Fat Gecko Smoothie for the third meal, then repeat. I want to add Black Panther Zoological Diet and Pangea Fruit Mix Complete to the rotation, too - hopefully then I'll be able to remove the Clark's from the rotation completely so I don't have to reorder it >.<

Aggression is not something I've had personal experience with, since I only have one gecko (and the two at work live separately), but I've heard other people have issues with it, and it's really NOT recommended. I will never have personal experience with it because it's not something I'm willing to risk.
lol that's perfect! It's 2-in-1 :D I need a bowl and sleepy spot, that's definitely going on my list! Thanks.

I was worried I was feeding too much, I feed every other night as well. ^_^

Members online