Does this trainer look any good?

Maxy24

I'm really going to try and get Tucker to see a trainer about his aggression, we had a very near bite incident last weekend with a guest (who blatantly ignored me telling him not to touch Tucker) so I really would just like to hear a professionals opinion on him and hopefully get some help. I'm hesitant because I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars to have a trainer tell me a bunch of things I already know, but I do think my parents would be more likely to listen to a professional than to me. I really hope it ends up being worth it because money is really tight, but it seems like bad ownership to have a bite risk dog and never seek a professional.

This is one of the trainers I'm looking at, the other one I was looking at is really pricey, don't know what this one charges. What is a normal price for a behavior consult? Anyway does this trainer seem good to you all?
http://yourdreamdog.com/about-trainer.html

Taqroy

She looks okay to me but you could always call/email and ask questions (what would you do with <this> dog in <this> situation...). I think I paid between 80 - 100 dollars for our initial consult with all three dogs. I imagine the price depends a lot on where you are - how pricey is the other trainer?

Maxy24

I forgot I actually e-mailed this trainer earlier this year. She says most of her private consults are for aggression (though I think it's mainly dog aggression). The only thing I'm hesitant about it she seems to really like head collars and I'd sort of prefer not to use one, I feel like they just add stress. Not sure how she'd respond if I said I wouldn't use one.
http://www.canineuniversity.com/

This trainer was recommended from another trainer I had e-mailed, I was looking into her when I wanted to try agility.
http://dogslearningcenter.com/

I also e-mailed this place and he (or she I don't actually know who answered me) said he has a lot of experience with aggression. They are MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, but their website isn't super clear on their methods and their website doesn't make it seem like they deal with a lot of aggression.
http://www.masterpeacedog.com/

crazedACD

It says that Ann Dupuis does some classes at MasterPeace...maybe that's what he's talking about? There is a gal teaching some classes there (I believe she is still there) that I was highly unimpressed by, when she taught over here. I wasn't the only one with an issue with her. If you want more info on that, feel free to PM. I would go and see if you can observe or help with a lesson before committing, I've met good and bad trainers.

I know a woman out here in Wales that is excellent (and cheap)...might be far though if you are looking in Franklin.

Maxy24

I didn't even know we had a Wales, MA. Western MA is like a different state, so may places I've never heard of. I'm in Natick.

I would be interested to hear what you saw from the masterpeace trainer. You don't remember her name do you?

smeagle

I would always recommend calling to speak to trainers and seeing how you get along with them on the phone. How helpful they are, whether you have a good rapport with them etc. Talk to them about your concerns and if they are good they will make you feel comfortable about the way they train.

Choosing a trainer on the basis of which one is the cheapest isn't something I'd recommend - price is no real indicator of quality, but a good trainer will be worth every cent. If the trainer you really like and get along with best is more IMO I'd be waiting to save the money to see them rather than going with someone cheaper who you may not like as much.

Members online

No members online now.