why does he not smell???

Lexus

poeluvr said:
buddy is a figure of speech..beleive me i dont mean it in the way where im calling someone from the internet who i dont know a friend. You obviously knew i didnt mean it that way but thats beside the point...well if you dont have time for me stoop responding, and let me find out if people who have albino breeds risk that dogs life in asking for a white one or not..
*p.s/...i aske dthis because i thought it would be simple..you say "oh thats ok i got a white dob because.." but you have to take it the wrong way i guess.
I guess since you took a simple question the wrong way i should have started a new thread..i just wanted the answer from another point of view someone who has a whit dob and i didnt know if you would answer
sorry wont talk to you again

I love to discuss it if you want to start a new thread Poeluvr! I don't have an albino, but I do think it would be very informative to discuss. If not, I won't bother ya about it!

doberkim said:
ok - flat out, you need to address this (for all of you that are having problems) like your dog is brand new.

the dog should not be allowed out of your site. the dog is attached to you, and you are supervising it all the time. if it is not attached to you (via leash), then its crated. the dog is not allowed to run around, is not allowed to do things when you arent there. you watch the dog and you walk it at LEAST every hour, reward heavily when it goes outside. you interrupt it if it goes in the house. you walk it after playing, aftering eating, after sleeping. the dog needs to understand that the ONLY acceptable place is to go outside - right now, i just dont think its really sticking with them - they know you CAN go to the bathroom outside, but theyve gone too much inside and perhaps been given too much freedom, too soon.

yes, the dog needs to learn that it needs to let you know when it needs to go out. right now, it decides when it goes in or out. it makes all he decisions regarding the bathroom habits - so why shouldnt it just go where it feels like. they are young, and need supervision. they need to be reminded that they need to go (how many times when you were a kid did you hold it until it was almost too late?). they need to be reminded WHERE to go. they dont get to make decisions for themselves. and then they let you know they DO need to go, they get rewarded heavily.

i would simply take it back to step one. my mother use to say she could pretty much housebreak a puppy in 24 hours by STAYING with that puppy at all times for 24 hours and walking it very frequently. if the dog doesnt know going to the bathroom in the house is an option, then it wont do it. if going outside is the norm and the only thing it knows, theres no confusion.
Staying with my dog 24hrs isnt an option, my partner and I work full time so we're not there during the day. Shes almost 7months now we've had her since she was 8 weeks.

I closed the doggie door off yesterday, and shadow went to the toilet outside 4times, and was rewarded 4 times for going outside. She did have one accident in the kitchen, I dont think she knows quite how to let me know she wants to go out, apart from looking at the back door. I tried the "scolding the floor for being naughty" when I saw her pool of pee, didnt shout or anything at her cos I know she wouldnt understand, but shouted and slapped the floor (there was a thread on here that described this method), not sure if it worked or not.

She never messes during the night only the evening when im there. She always goes outside in the night. I dont crate her, dont like the idea personally. Im gona stick with locking the doggie door when im home so i can be with her when she goes outside. I think thats the best idea.

Hey whitedobelover, had any progress on the peeing in the house thing? Im having the same trouble with shadow, she seems to have regressed. Im locking the doggie door when Im home at the mo, so i can be there everytime she goes out.

Hope things are improving.

Rach

I have always seen these really great dogs that would bark to go out or would jump on the door or whatever and could never really figure out how to teach mine to do the same. Thankfully Chi just started doing it on her own, she will come to me and pace around for a bit and then if that doesn't work she'll jump on the door. (If I'm asleep she'll poke me with her nose until I wake up :) I have read really great ideas on this though. One that comes to mind is hanging a small bell from the door at nose level. Put a little peanut butter or soft cheese on the bell, she'll nose and lick it causing the bell to ring, as soon as she rings the bell open the door and woohoo in no time you've got a dog that will ring a bell to go outside :) Probably not what you want to do since you have the dog door for a reason but it's a thought :)

Y

yuckaduck

Mine do not ask to go out and they do not sniff either. If they want to pee and I happen to not be outside with them, they pee in the house or in their crates. They are getting better for not doing it but they still do it. Yukon is pretty good now hardly ever does it now but Storm well now you know why he is out in the kennel.

Fran27

I think that letting the dogs out during the day is a mistake. Sure, your house is clean, but they don't learn that they need to go outside to pee, and not just pee wherever they are.

About having the dogs show you they need to go out, I just take them out often enough that they don't have to. It seems to work fine.

Y

yuckaduck

I find for me a set schedule is working.
7am we all eat breakfast and water goes down.
7:30 am boys go outside
7:45 am Hope goes outside

noon water goes down again
12:30pm boys go outside
1pm Hope goes outside

5pm water goes down and everyoen eats supper
5:15pm the boys go outside
5:45pm Hope goes outside

10pm boys go outside
10:30pm Hope goes outside

Yes I pick the water up each time because I have three water hounds they pig down the water and pee everywhere. When water is dropped down they each have a big dish full and they each get there own personal space so no one pushes somebody out of the dish. I have never had anyone empty a dish yet but if they do I would re fill it. THey get all they want to drink.

This schedule seems to be working fairly well. Yukon is almost perfect, Storm is a pig on ocassion but his training is very limitted. Hope has started submissive peeing but I have no clue why???

W

Whitedobelover

you know so far it is going better. Bill lets them out at 445 am.. before he leaves and then I get up and let them out again at 830 and then again everytwo hours. plus instead of taking them out the front door i take them out the doggie door to show them it is for potty purposes only. They now when they need to potty and mom has let them run and play in the house for a few minutes they run outside and come right back in... i still work with them my self but... I do also work with it myself. It is rough somedays but I have eliminated all the areas that they went potty before... after cleaning them I laid their beds there and toys and now they refuse to potty there. which is great... then i also use lavender i sprayed their beds and floors with it and now they smell lavender in the house and in their crates and they kinda look at me like im wierd and then whine to go out...

i dont know if it is what i am doing or if it they are growing up... but i do know they are learning quit well... It is taking me alot of patience... i just wish he would smell before he pees rather than just squating and pottying on the floor when he feels like it...

hmmm hopefully they will learn soon mom is losing her mind hehehehe... Now that I am on vacation and with them 24 hours aday hehehe.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
staffy - you dont have to do the 24 hours thing every day - ONE day of it, watching them like a hawk.

W

Whitedobelover

Staffy--- i watch mine about 85% of the time... it isnt like i watch them a hundred percent of them i cant... i dont take them to the bathroom with me... and when it is their play time outside they go out and paly together Im not normallyu with them

Members online

No members online now.