Keeping Clean

luvie

Hi everyone, I have two puppies, when i got them from the breeder, they were so clean and pretty, now, i'm having a hard time keeping them looking clean and smelling good. They told me not to bathe them for 3 weeks, they are 2 months old, so i'm using the doggie wipes but when they poop, they step in it and it's a mess. Right now i have them in a large cage, and I keep a doggie litter to the side with paper on it. Is it ok to clean bathe them now, and how can I keep looking sparkly and smelling good, I have a yorkie and a shih tzu?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Divide the cage up so it's smaller. Most dogs won't mess where they sleep, but they've got so much room that it doesn't really matter to them at the moment. How often do you take them outside? They should be getting out every couple of hours. Dogs that young and small just can't hold it for very long, so you will have to deal with the mess unless you clean up after them immediatly. I'd follow what the breeder said about bathing.

bubbatd

I would separate them... 2 pups from the same litter is hard enough , but caged together they romp, push and play and can't avoid messes. If they are 8 weeks old now, at what age did you get them ??? I'm not putting you down, but the breeder at this point. How large is their cage.? Hope we can help!!

Fran27

Just to make sure, you don't keep them in a cage all the time right? They should only be in the cage when you can't watch them. I agree with Bubba, don't leave them in the same cage. Make sure the cages are small enough so that they don't have room to poop somewhere and sleep somewhere else. A cage is supposed to be their sleeping place, not their playing place.

Putting a litter in the cage for them to pee is a very bad idea, you don't want them to pee in their cage. Teach them now to go outside to pee and poop, by letting them out not only couple of hours, but every 30-45 minutes.

Doberluv

before:

after:

These pups are a lot younger than 8 weeks and these dogs didn't stay covered in Pablum very long. They got bathed almost every day and here's one now....all grown up and healthy. Just keep pup from getting chilled and don't use too much shampoo, but use puppy shampoo.

I agree with the others about managing them.

bubbatd

Another thought ...take them out separately to pee and poop ... otherwise they are more interested in each other and won't pay any attention to your words and commands. When done...they can have a good play romp with each other. Let us know how it's going !

Doberluv

It's much more unhealthy IMO to have that kind of germy poo staying on them than whatever the reason could be to not bathe. They lick themselves. It can be irritating to their skin and even be absorbed through tiny capalaries in their skin. I don't understand why not to bathe. You don't get a cold virus from bathing anyhow. It comes from each other. I've never heard of such a thing. I've always bathed my pups when I first got them at around 8 weeks, just to get them use to not minding baths, if not to keep them clean if they needed it.

My breeder is a very reputable one and has done this for 40 years and she never said a thing about not bathing and in fact said that she had to bathe the pups after they ate....at least a sponge bath in the sink to get the slop off of them. LOL. (like my pictures?) LOL.

I agree with the others. Take pups outside to potty. Prevent them from going inside so they learn to be housebroken. Watch them like a hawk when they're not confined. Take them out often and afer meals, water, playtime, naps. Do a search here for more housebreaking tips.

Good luck!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Good stuff to know. I've never had a puppy, so I had no idea. I know they used to recommend not bathing human babies for a certain amount of time after birth...don't know if they still do or not.

bubbatd

I always sponged off my pups if needed... I always sent them to their new homes brushed and clean, but some gave bathes to get rid of the " puppy smell "...Lord , I would have bottled it if I could !!!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
bubbatd said:
I always sponged off my pups if needed... I always sent them to their new homes brushed and clean, but some gave bathes to get rid of the " puppy smell "...Lord , I would have bottled it if I could !!!
I absolutely LOVE the smell of puppy breath. When Hannah came home she still had to puppy breath and I just LOVED it. My husband couldn't stand it because he said it smelled like crap :rolleyes: .

Members online

No members online now.