Ruby getting impossible!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Ruby is now 14 weeks and as such still has two weeks to go before her third and final vaccination, before we can take her out.

She gets played with a lot, and a lot of our time and attention, but she is still just a complete mental case! I know she's a pup and they're all rambunctious but she is very big and we are having trouble handling her. The main problems that we are having with her are jumping and biting.

We let her in a lot because we want her to spend time with us, but she CANNOT chill out - even after really intense playing that goes on for an hour or more. She constantly jumps up onto the lounge - she knows the command for `off' because she always obeys it but two seconds later she is back up again. And she is always biting at our hands, feet and faces (if she's close enough) and grabbing our clothes for tug-of-war. It is very difficult to be around her like this because she seems like five puppies in one!

She responds extremely well to training, seems to love it and we have no doubt that as soon as she can go out and we can walk, run and play with her till she's actually tired that will make a huge difference. But does anyone have any suggestions in the meantime!! :confused:

skyhigh

Bitter apple spray. My pups 11 weeks and she bites our clothes a bit. Not much though. She gets a firm 'No' and then we ignore her for a minute. Have you tried a time out time? What breed is Ruby? Taking her out at just 16 weeks is a bit late. My pups last vac is when she's 12 weeks. After that we're going to socialize her with other dogs. Because after 16 weeks its hard to intoduce pups to new dogs. Some people call this time the learning period.(8-16 weeks) Anyway, good luck

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
We tried a normal spray bottle last night - she loved it!! Do you spray the bitter apple on yourself or in her face? That seems a bit extreme but if it doesn't hurt them...

skyhigh

Noo. Not in her face. You spray the bitter apple spray on whatever you dont want her to chew. If you dont want her to chew your hands, spray it on yourself. Furniture and all. If your just using a pure water spray, you can spray on her. But avoid her eyes. She's adorable by the way :)

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Awww thanks she is a cute girl isn't she?? She's getting really fluffy now - her poodle genes are starting to show through...lol. And we love that round puppy belly - my bf calls it her `orangutan belly'... :p

Yes, the water pistol last night was NOT really a success - I think being a lab cross she was like, `Water?? YAY!! I love water!!' And every time she got a squirt she just got extra excited. I mean, I don't know what I was thinking anyway, she tries to hop in the shower with you at every opportunity!!

skyhigh

LOL. Aren't they fun. hehe. Try the bitter apple spray. But never spray it on her. Just the furniture and your hands. Or anything you don't want her to chew on. Labs looooover water. So she probably thought it as a game. I would give the bitter apple a go. Or you could try tabasco sauce...

skyhigh

I live there too!! lol

OMH!!! I just saw that you live in Perth. Where abouts?

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
skyhigh said:
Bayswater
Oh cool, my vet lives there.

I will try the bitter apple spray - wasn't sure where to get it here but I assume most pet places have it.

It's not so much her biting on things that is difficult because she has learned a `give' command and so will stop (usually!) when you say that to her. It's mainly when we have her in the lounge with us at night and she constantly jumps up on us - our fault for giving her endless cuddles on the lounge when we first got her, I guess.

If we invite her up for a cuddle she will chill out a bit, but then the biting starts.

We just need to be able to make her tired!! Our vet said she couldn't go out before 16 weeks but others say after 12 is ok. Hard to know...

skyhigh

Pet suppliers should have it. Just spray the spray on your hands and fingers. That should do it. If she likes the taste try tabasco sauce. But that'll be a bit icky on your hands. What vet do you go to? My pup got vaccinated at 6 weeks, 9 weeks and her last is at 12 weeks. It depends how you start them. But if her last one is at 16 weeks keep her away from other dogs till then. Dont risk it. My pups brother died b/c of parvo. She's the only surviver from the litter. She's special. LOL. Give Ruby a hug for me. :) At the moment to make my 11 week old pup tired we put her on the leash and walk in the garden with her. We have another dog that she plays with. He's vaccinated though. And he's not alloweed to meet other dogs till the pup has had all her shots. We dont want her to get parvo.

skyhigh

Rubylove said:
If we invite her up for a cuddle she will chill out a bit, but then the biting starts.
Let her up. Then as soon as the biting starts, put her on the floor and say a firm 'No'. And leave her on the floor for a couple of minutes. Then she will learn if she bites she goes on the floor.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
skyhigh said:
Pet suppliers should have it. Just spray the spray on your hands and fingers. That should do it. If she likes the taste try tabasco sauce. But that'll be a bit icky on your hands. What vet do you go to? My pup got vaccinated at 6 weeks, 9 weeks and her last is at 12 weeks. It depends how you start them. But if her last one is at 16 weeks keep her away from other dogs till then. Dont risk it. My pups brother died b/c of parvo. She's the only surviver from the litter. She's special. LOL. Give Ruby a hug for me. :) At the moment to make my 11 week old pup tired we put her on the leash and walk in the garden with her. We have another dog that she plays with. He's vaccinated though. And he's not alloweed to meet other dogs till the pup has had all her shots. We dont want her to get parvo.
Parvo has been included in the first two vaccinations she's had - is this third one just a booster? And can we take her out, perhaps, but not let her come in contact with other dogs?

skyhigh

We took our pup out. She still has one shot to go. If you take her out, put a harness on not a collar. I found with a collar she tried to slip away. Its easier to hold them too. Dont let her come in contact with any dogs or doggy business...(pooh and wee) Parvo spreads through that. The third vaccination is the sealer. It closes the past two vacs as well as boostes them. It's good to maybe take her walking on a foot path little bits at a time. Never in a park. Only foot pathes. Goodluck with that. Tell me what happends if you go ahead with it. I wouldn't recomend it though, I'm not taking our pup out again. I'm too scared to. But if you know someone with a vaccinated dog that hasn't been in contact with other dogs for a while-let your pup meet their dog. She needs to socialize with them. Its important to let your pup meet other dogs beofre 16 weeks. Maybe puppy school? Although diesease pass through there too.

Sythe135

Hey,

i was just wondering where to get the bitter Apple spray. I also live in perth so could you please help me.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.