The dog musing/vent thread

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
The woman from the training club called me back, there are spots open in the agility foundations class. Little red dog starts on the 24th, I'm mailing our registration this week!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I have been on the verge of whining about this for weeks.

I want another dog. Maybe not another BC or high energy monster. I'm thinking a whippet.

Roommate says absolutely no. Logic says absolutely no, because I work full time and wouldn't have the necessary time to train and supervise a new dog. Also, Eve would eat a whippet.

But god, I want.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Also...

What are some causes of itchy skin besides allergies and weather? I bathe Eve in baby shampoo, supplement with vitamin E, she eats a good diet, gets a lot of raw meat and minimal grain-based foods.

Yet she's frequently chewing at the skin on her back/sides. Nothing harmful, nothing major, just an irritating (to me) teeth clacking noise while she scritches herself.

Just want to rule out any possibility of it being a physical problem before I snark at her to stop scritching and waking me up while I'm trying to sleep!

Locke

Hahahah if I wasn't so lazy I totally thought about teaching this. :p
You should do it!!

I only started training it because I want/need a 100% recall, and the other people I live with will call him but not follow through, so his recall to "come" and "here" is really inconsistent. So my goal is to have him come to me 100% of the time to Accio.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
For all the wonderfulness that Mia is, Mia seems to not understand 'I feel like ****, please go away!' And it's not like I haven't done anything with her, we did a 30 minute agility session at lunch and last night we were at the field 1.5 hours. But seriously, I don't want to play right now.

She seems to have this amazing off switch lately... until I feel like crap.

Also, Mia is being a total buttface to other dogs recently. She growled at my trainer's belgian for quite a while yesterday. Both were in their kennels but seriously.... Mia.... you vs belgian would end poorly. And then she snapped at the shihpoo in our class when she walked by. The shihpoo is super nice and timid. That's only the second time in Mia's life that SHE'S been the one to start something and both times it's been with very insecure dogs. She's never been super dog tolerant but she seems to be getting less dog tolerant the last few months, which is concerning.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Oh. My. God. Abrams is driving me INSANE tonight. Who wants a puppy? I will let you borrow him and you won't want one any longer. I'm going to KILL him if he doesnt stop being an idiot. And to make things worse, he cannot sense his impending doom. Idiot dog doesn't know what a bad mood means.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
You should do it!!

I only started training it because I want/need a 100% recall, and the other people I live with will call him but not follow through, so his recall to "come" and "here" is really inconsistent. So my goal is to have him come to me 100% of the time to Accio.
It could never be my "real" recall, as awesome as it is I would totally have to retrain MYSELF to ever think to use it. :p

I've thought about teaching spells for other commands too, but again, lazy! Maybe if I had a puppy I'd be more motivated :p I totally want video though when you make progress.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My dog....

I just can't figure her out sometimes. Most days lately she is very good and reasonable and some days.... like today.... she is awful.

Today she is like Mia on crack. She is wanting to run and screech and squeak tennis balls for hours and throw them repeatedly in my face while screaming at me. We've done a lot of exercise the past 4 days. she is not bored. I only worked 4 hours today.

Luckily I put her in a down stay on the couch and she's calming herself down right now but DANG. It seems like her off switch gets stuck every now and again to where she's in overdrive until you force her to quit. And other days she's totally lazy or is active but turns right off when I want her to. Don't get it.

FG167

Oh. My. God. Abrams is driving me INSANE tonight. Who wants a puppy? I will let you borrow him and you won't want one any longer. I'm going to KILL him if he doesnt stop being an idiot. And to make things worse, he cannot sense his impending doom. Idiot dog doesn't know what a bad mood means.
Memmmmeeeeeee!! I would love to have a Chessie puppy for a bit! :)

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Oh my god. I put expen against the side of my bed that does not have a wall next to it, and Feist STILL got off the bed last night. Also, aren't 7 week old puppies supposed to be afraid of stairs?? She keeps trying to use them and I'm like NO FEIST YOULL GET HIP DYSPLASIA AND DIE. I swear, she keeps flinging herself off of everything too. It will be a miracle if this puppy lives to be a year old.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Oh my god. I put expen against the side of my bed that does not have a wall next to it, and Feist STILL got off the bed last night. Also, aren't 7 week old puppies supposed to be afraid of stairs?? She keeps trying to use them and I'm like NO FEIST YOULL GET HIP DYSPLASIA AND DIE. I swear, she keeps flinging herself off of everything too. It will be a miracle if this puppy lives to be a year old.
Okay, we DEFINITELY need to marry Feist and Ned because apparently they are soulmates. He runs up and down the stairs before I can grab him to carry him. And his new trick is taking a flying leap of my bed. Sometimes I'm able to catch him in midair and soften the fall, but other times he is SO quick and gives me no warning. He usually tumbles a bit on landing too :( ugh puppies

I don't know how Kris, my Dobe, has managed to reach 10 months in one piece. She has to be the clumsiest puppy ever. I don't have stairs that she has to go up and down on but she falls down the one step out of and into the house, has banged head on into things. She tries to go through spaces that she used to fit through, not seeming to realize she is too big now.

If I don't have her crate door open, she runs into it in her rush to get into the crate. She finally learned to wait till I open the door on her crate in the Van so she can jump into her crate.

Flyinsbt

I don't get a puppy. There were 3 cleft palates and 1 puppy born with it's intestines outside it's body in the litter of 7. Of the 3 healthy puppies, 2 are male. No pup for me. :(
The good news is that Pirate apparently carries red, 3 of the 7 were red. The 2 surviving males are both red.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Memmmmeeeeeee!! I would love to have a Chessie puppy for a bit! :)
Sold! One noisy, bumbling, mouthy, doesn't-understand-personal-space puppy that pees on the carpet on his way outside to go to the bathroom every hour, because apparently holding it is impossible even though he routinely holds it in his crate for eight hours a day.

I've been working long hours this week so I *know* he's bored and underexercised...but I'm stressed and tired when I get home, which is not a good mix with a bored and underexercised puppy. It doesn't help that he's decided eating his toys is the best idea ever, so he's down to one ball and two bones to play with as I've had to pitch all of his other toys.

StillandSilent

Hoe disapointing to not get a pup. I wonder what went wrong to cause so many deformities. :(

On my end, the neighbors dog is in heat. She will be accidentally bred, because it happens every time. Then the puppies get shipped off to sc because no one wants pit bull/ hello stranger puppies around here.

How do I know she's in heat? Shaman has lost his mind. He keeps chattering his teeth and trying to drag me over so they can make longhaired pippets together. He was supposed to stay my baby a little longer, instead of a gross teenager

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
People shocked when their new dog/puppy is pooping in the house but they are only letting it out 2x a day! Wtf! That's not one but TWO people today!

Torch

People shocked when their new dog/puppy is pooping in the house but they are only letting it out 2x a day! Wtf! That's not one but TWO people today!
Yeah people ask me all the time how Rhys lets me know when he has to go outside or how I trained him to let me know (he was housebroken pretty quick).

Apparently baby gates, crating, watching like a hawk, and taking him out every time he breathes is not the answer they're looking for.

"Oh, I thought you had just trained him to give you a signal." He's not a hand signing chimp, he's a five month old puppy!

Members online

No members online now.