Getting dogs to chew on an antler

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I bought antlers for the dogs today (small ones) because Mia in particular goes through other chews insanely fast for such a small dog. She can chew a braided bully stick down in less than 2 hours, which is way way too much for a dog her size to eat. So I have to constantly take them away from her. And if you don't give Mia something to chew on, she'll chew on whatever she finds (like my glasses).

Both of them seemed interested in the antlers in the store. When we got home they carried them off and dropped them and didn't even try to chew on them.

Is there anything I can do to make them more enticing? They certainly weren't cheap!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I've had no luck with that. Juno completely ignores her antler. She'd rather chew on her Nylabones :rolleyes: I've smeared peanut butter on it but then she just, of course, licks off the PB and carries on ignoring the antler. I think I read on here about boiling it in chicken broth but then I'd think you'd have to throw it away soon after? Because I can't imagine it would keep well after that.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Are they whole or split?

I find Izzie only cares about the split ones as she can get to that good stuff inside better.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I used it as a toy to begin with. Once I got her interested in it as an object, she explored it a bit more and began chewing it.

BostonBanker

Loan it to another dog for a bit. I had one in the house for well over a year that Meg never glanced at. Until I had a foster dog in the house who loved it. Jasmine chewed on it for five minutes before Meg stole it back, and she's loved them ever since.

I assume Jasmine got the inside "opened" a bit on the ends, and made whatever it is dogs like more noticeable.

Gypsydals

Laur, if they are not split, see if you can exchange them for a split one. NOt that a split one has done Ivan any good.
But last weekend when I was down at the show, Ivans breeder recommended I get a split one first. Not that the bugger has chewed it yet. I swear I have the worlds only nonchewing dalmatian.

yoko

I know for Yoshi if I act like something is the coolest thing in the world and I start playing with it like throwing it up in the air and catching it whatever it is turns into the biggest 'i want' from Yoshi ever.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I almost bought a split one but they were more expensive so I didn't. I wish I had now....

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I was told to soak it in hot water, by the lady at the store where I buy mine. I think it has a similar effect as other dogs chewing on it first, makes it softer, easier to get at, and smells better.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I second finding a dog that likes them lol. Ozzy and Enzo didn't want ANYTHING to do with them until Knox came along and started chewing theirs. Now they can't get enough of them. Indy loves them too

JacksonsMom

^ sounds like Jackson. We dogsat my grandma's dog who loves her antler so of course he whined for it the whole time she was chewing. He finally got a chance and then loved chewing on it.

However he still doesn't like them if he's at home alone. Won't touch it.

Lanie

Here are a couple of tips that we tell people to help them get their dog interested in chewing on the antlers: Tips for Using Your Antler Dog Chews.

What we normally suggest is that if your dog isn't interested in the chewing the antler, try rubbing it with sandpaper or a nail file. If your dog still isn't interested in the antler, you could try rubbing it with a small amount of peanut butter or soaking it overnight in water in the refrigerator.

Good luck!

Lanie

Here are a couple of tips that we tell people to help them get their dog interested in chewing on the antlers: Tips for Using Your Antler Dog Chews.

What we normally suggest is that if your dog isn't interested in the chewing the antler, try rubbing it with sandpaper or a nail file. If your dog still isn't interested in the antler, you could try rubbing it with a small amount of peanut butter or soaking it overnight in water in the refrigerator.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.