pet ihealth nsurance

angelmom

pet health insurance

I am trying to decide if I should get insureance for our 4 month yorkie. He will be getting neutered in 2 months. If you have insurance, where is it through, and have you been happy with it if you have used it?

Last edited:

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I heard it was a ripoff but, after all of Charlie's health problems, I wish I had gotten it! I really don't know much about it though.

Doberooney

I bark, therefore I am
If your Yorkie is anything like my parents' Yorkie, he will live 'til 18 and never have any health issues!

I would personally just set up a savings account and put some money away every month or when you can.

emc

On another forum I read that you have to pay the vet bills up front yourself and to make the claim there's tons of paper work before you get any money back. If you do decide to go with insurance, check each plan very carefully, depending on the company, the cheapest plan will only cover costs incurred in an accidents but not for sickness.

I could only see insurance being a good value if your dog has health issues starting at an early age or if its in an accident.

Frame Your Pet
http://dogshop.50webs.com

ACooper

I would personally just set up a savings account and put some money away every month or when you can.
^^ Agreed.

I have heard so many stories of how they rip you off..............The most recent was a doggie blog I visit where Not only did they raise the premiums after ONE use........they also CUT the coverage, so she was paying more and recieving less.....it didn't even average out to break even!

At least with a savings account, IF there isn't ever a big expense to use it on, you will have the $$ for final costs and/or new pup when the time comes.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I have VPI's standard plan. For roughly a hundred bucks a year, I am insuring myself against the cost of a catastrophic illness, cancer or an an accident. If you add up the cost of the policy over a decade, the cost is far less than what they would be forced to pay me in the event of something terrible. Far more than the interest you would incur if you had the discipline to put the same amount in the bank. And that bank total would be a paltry sum compared to the cost of the catastrophe. Even if they dropped me right after the payout for the incident or illness, I would come out far ahead. Of course, there is always the wonderful chance that Tosca will never ever get sick that way. That's why they call it insurance. You take the chance one way or another. I choose to insure. There is NOT alot of paperwork, as I ripped VPI off the first year and got the wellcare coverage, which I subequently dropped after I collected more than the premium on all those shots,tests, spaying, etc. I never intended to keep it after that first year. The paperwork was totally simple. My vet filled out the form right in his office, I signed it and they faxed it in. Within 24 hours I got an email confirmation that it was received and I generally got payment within two weeks. Yes you pay up front. What is so unusual about that? It is by vet request that you pay up front, not by VPI request. The insurance form allows for payment directly to the vet if he agrees. VPI will do it either way.

But then I am a paranoid anyway. I have blanket liability insurance in the event some slug trips in front of my house and thinks it's a great idea to take what is mine. So pay me no mind.

angelmom

Thanks for all the responses. Can you tell me how much VPI pays towards a spay and shots? After you get the wellcare, can you cancel it at any time?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Only person I know with pet insurance has come out on top, chronic ear issues, allergies, unending problems, so she's collected far more than she has paid into it. But realize any insurance exists to make money, rather than to help you.
Her dog got his by a car, Being the only real emergency crisis she ever had, they were supposed to cover a huge chunk of the bill. They whittled down what they chose to pay to less than half. So while good, as she saved herself again a good deal of money on pet care.. She didn't get back what her plan said she should, so you may still need means to get money to pay for something bad.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
I have VPI and I wont say a bad thing about them. I feel very secure knowing it is there and it has covered many bills for me. My vet has them pay directly to him. I cover the deductible and so payment. He says he has his portion from them in 1 week. He highly recommended them to me. I think that most of the stories you hear about them are from people who gripe about having to pay part of their own health care too. Or a deductible on their wrecked car. I have never had any problems and it is very comforting to know they are covered. I also have Care Credit which not only pays for vet bill with 0% intrest for 1 year but covers hearing aids for you as well as dental and eye glasses. It is free.

Me. too. I have VPI as well and am totally happy with it. I've had it for at least 7 years and I received much more than I ever paid into it. Cody had lots of health issues and all were covered right up to, and including, his euthanasia. On the other hand my Bailey has elbow dysplasia and it's not covered because it's hereditary. I will buy it for all of my dogs.

Kayla

Duke is on the Champion plan by Petplan. Due to the breeds in him ( Rotti x German Shepherd x possibly Collie) and the fact he came from a shitty BYB I simply will not be able to afford pain meds and possible hip and other surgeries he may need down the road. I'm also trying to pay off college so setting up an account on the side and putting an x amount of dollars in every month isn't possible at the time while still paying for pet insurance.

Eventually I do want to self ensure the only thing is unless you have 5-6 grand off the bat to put into a saving account for your pup then your really not getting the same piece of mind. I plan to when I can afford it start putting in money every month while still paying for his pet insurance and then once I have a min of 3-4 grand saved as just incase money then cancel my policy.

I think pet insurance is a great idea for breeds that are prone to health problems which require chronic meds for pain or possibly may require hip replacement surgery and so forth. But like any kind of insurance it's all about odds.

Kayla

Members online

No members online now.