Three Shots Fired

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Somewhere southeast of my house, not too far, couple hundred yards, max. Handgun. Brought dogs in, locked up, turned off lights on that side of the house, called cops, we're fine. No reason to think they are shooting at us . . . whoever they are.

Worrisome however. Illegal to discharge a firearm around here, so there's no mundane explanation.

I ask you . . . we move to the best neighborhood I've lived in fifteen years . . . and NOW I have to report gunfire?

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Oy! Hope it was nothing serious :( Stay safe out there!

I came home to 4 cop cruisers a couple of doors down. No idea what happened but same sort of story, best neighborhood we've lived in, most cop cars I've seen!

Saeleofu

Hope it's nothing too serious. I used to live in a house where there were gunshots CONSTANTLY. Scary (illegal here, too).

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
It was scary on the city where its illegal, but its even scarier in the country now where its not to hear it at three or four in the morning. Like, wtf, its dark, can you even SEE what you're shooting at??? And WHAT exactly are you shooting at anyway???

We live in the adorable suburbs and just a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I watched our street (our house is on the corner) get completely surrounded by cops and block all the roads. So we looked up a scanner online and found two guys that had shot a cop fled to the house across the street from us and all this nonsense was going down.

I was real excited when they called in the K9 unit at least.

B

Backward_Cinderella

I noticed something when we lived in Colorado... we went from the south end (super ghetto) before deployment to the north end (upper class) post deployment, and we saw more police in the north than we ever did in the south... I asked an officer why when they were at our complex once... his response? "North end is richer... nicer sh*t to steal and richer people to kill and steal FROM."
Scary, but I guess it makes "sense". :(

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
It was scary on the city where its illegal, but its even scarier in the country now where its not to hear it at three or four in the morning. Like, wtf, its dark, can you even SEE what you're shooting at??? And WHAT exactly are you shooting at anyway???
Oh, first guess, they can see exactly what they are shooting at, because they are shining deer. :rolleyes:

Second thought is that they are shooting at the raccoon that they heard in their garage. I know my dad has grabbed a shotgun and run into the night after that *#$% coon :D

Third thought, of course, is that they have gone on a rampage to murder their neighbors. :p

About the richer neighborhoods and crime . . . my old neighborhood, which was safe enough and solidly working class, was between two nicer neighborhoods: roughly, where I am now, and Bell Haven, which is too rich for my blood. When we had a gun point mugging there, the cops showed up FAST . . . with a dog and a helicopter. They wanted to make sure crime didn't take root in Huntington . . .were it could spread (by implication to Virginia Hills and Bell Haven) and they also told me that they were certain the muggers weren't "ours" they'd come in on the Metro from DC looking for a place that had something to steal.

I noticed something when we lived in Colorado... we went from the south end (super ghetto) before deployment to the north end (upper class) post deployment, and we saw more police in the north than we ever did in the south... I asked an officer why when they were at our complex once... his response? "North end is richer... nicer sh*t to steal and richer people to kill and steal FROM."
Scary, but I guess it makes "sense". :(
Not to mention, no one cares when something happens in the "bad" neighborhoods so you don't see cops very often.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
That makes a lot more sense. I feel sorry for whatever deer it was the other night because it sounded like it took four shots to bring him down. :p deer aren't even IN season right now either! Wtf.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
That makes a lot more sense. I feel sorry for whatever deer it was the other night because it sounded like it took four shots to bring him down. :p deer aren't even IN season right now either! Wtf.
Shining deer is illegal. And the people doing it are usually poaching. I doubt they CARE if its in season or not.

Doberluv

Wow Lil! That is a little unnerving when you're in city limits. I hope nothing horrible happened. It might have been like you said...someone shooting a racoon or something. Or maybe a domestic "disturbance." Of course, crime can happen anywhere. I think a good security system might make you feel even more safe. Look into it. I got one when I moved here. Love having the panic button and even the sign out front is enough to scare off most bad guys.

I sometimes hear what sound like gun shots at quite a little distance. I'm in the city limits, so it's illegal to discharge a fire arm. (except for self defense) But not far are big, huge countrish places...big fields and barns. I bet they're not within the limits and maybe someone over there is shooting coyotes or something. Plus, there's an Indian res not too far and they're always shooting off fire works....periodically, all year round. Crazy! lol.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Wow Lil! That is a little unnerving when you're in city limits. I hope nothing horrible happened. It might have been like you said...someone shooting a racoon or something. Or maybe a domestic "disturbance." Of course, crime can happen anywhere. I think a good security system might make you feel even more safe. Look into it. I got one when I moved here. Love having the panic button and even the sign out front is enough to scare off most bad guys.

I sometimes hear what sound like gun shots at quite a little distance. I'm in the city limits, so it's illegal to discharge a fire arm. (except for self defense) But not far are big, huge countrish places...big fields and barns. I bet they're not within the limits and maybe someone over there is shooting coyotes or something. Plus, there's an Indian res not too far and they're always shooting off fire works....periodically, all year round. Crazy! lol.

We actually have an alarm system, and I like the panic button alot too. We don't turn on the door alarm while we are at home though, because I know that if the dogs wake me up at 2 am I will not remember to turn off the alarm before I open the door!

I'm going to check this week's crime sheet when it comes out next week. See if its mentioned.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Shining deer is illegal. And the people doing it are usually poaching. I doubt they CARE if its in season or not.
Oh I know, I was just thinking it was one thing if they're in season even, even though it's illegal, its just two crimes if they're not.

They could be shooting coyotes, which is a possibility. I hear them singing at night a lot.

Members online

No members online now.