Operation Capture Kitty Has Begun!

*Amy*

How can I resist? It has white paws and a white chest. So cute. We've been feeding this stray in our backyard for the past few days and we're finally deciding to use a cage to catch it. I was going to wait until it would just let me pick it up, but it's so timid that I think that would take too long of a time. It's only let me pet it once. I don't want it to get any sicker while we're waiting because it seems to have conjunctivitis. One of it's eyes is sometimes partially closing and gets a little runny. The plan is to catch it and bring it to the vet ASAP. Then care for it and slowly get our dogs accustomed to it. I've got all the essentials - even bought a space heater in case it will let us wash it.

We have a dog crate out there with tuna in it and a rope tied to the door. We're sitting here just waiting to pull! So far its been 25 minutes and no sign of kitty. Wish us luck!

*Amy*

We caught it! It's in the cage in our bathroom. We're letting it calm down a little before we let it out. It's climbing on the cage mewing so loud! How can I help calm him?

Maxy24

Good job! I probably wouldn't wait to let him out, he probably won't ever calm down in the cage. Just make sure he has everything he needs in the bathroom and let him loose in there, let him explore and he should eventually calm down (or hide if there is anywhere to hide in there). I would pick up any rugs you have in there so he'll choose to use the litter box.

Good luck with the little guy, I'm sure he'll come around to you soon especially if he's come close to you already. I've heard baby food works well as a treat so if he's shy you might use that as an incentive to come out and see you.

lizzybeth727

^^^What she said. I'd also suggest giving him a hiding place in the bathroom... throw a large blanket over the crate if nothing else so he can go in there if he's scared. Good luck!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
We used to take in a lot of stray cats, they were the hardest to calm down. Rescue Remedy always helped though.

*Amy*

He calmed down after I put a soft blanket in there! See the feather toy? He LOVES it. I started rubbing it over his face and body and he started purring.. he shoves his face into it. He's even letting us pet him. He's so sweet. I'm saying "him" because I read that the male cats are more shy, but I'm not sure. How's the name "Tiger?" Maybe Tiger something.. like a cool name. Mr Tiger something..?

He's in the cage sleeping.. He looks so comfy. I opened the door of the cage, so he can get to the litter box, scratching toy, food, and water, but he's staying put for now. He's eaten some tuna that we hand fed him. :)

~Tucker&Me~

Aww, he's such a cutie :D

Its great he seems to have settled down, hoping he gets used to things pretty quickly. The fact that he's still young is definitely to your advantage. Let us know how the vet visit goes!

*Amy*

Thanks so much! I'll let you know! I'm hoping to get squeezed into the vet office tomorrow afternoon.

Jynx

awwww how cute! so glad you caught him/her, so many stray kitties out there, its so very sad they have to live such a hard life . I'm glad this kitty will be living the good life from now on:)

*Amy*

Tiger went to the vet yesterday and is completely healthy except for a minor eye infection which we started treating with antibiotic drops yesterday. No ear mites, no worms, no fleas. The vet said he's about 7 1/2 weeks old and is definitely a boy! He only weighed 1.9 lbs! He got his first set of shots and was so good. Everyone thought he was so sweet.

In a month, he'll get checked for FIV (he didn't weigh enough to get checked yesterday) and get his second set of shots.

We cuddled with him on the couch last night and let the dogs sniff him, but not get too close. It's going to be a trick getting them used to each other!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.