This is kind of crappy...

bubbatd

I must admit that when 13 and I used public roads to ride the horse I used to visit my folks and neighbors , if she went in their driveways , I'd tell them that I would clean it up after I put Queenie away --- and did . Luckily , she never went much under saddle ! I think rented trail horses go more often !

Dekka

Just try me..
We have an 18 mile paved trail close by. It is used for bicyclists. joggers, walkers, people walking their dog and people in wheel chairs if they desire to use the trail. No motor vehicles are allowed meaning no ATV vehicles, dirt bikes or mini bikes not even a moped if they still even exist. You never see any "Road Apples" on it because in the brochure it says • Pets Allowed: Dogs must be on a leash and under contol; pet/horse clean up is required

Source: http://monmouthcountyparks.com/documents/130/henry_09.pdf

Second page
well for one I wouldn't ride any of my horses on a paved path. Its too hard on them for my liking. And two it would create an organic layer (ie dirt) on top of the pavement that would become slick and dangerous when wet. I imagine there are very few riders on that anyway.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Because to enforce this you basically ban over 90% of riders...

And its not really the same. There are many places where there are different rules for different situations..
Yeah, I don't think banning the riders is a good thing.

I'm just really suprised that people who think you should pick up after your dog think it's fine to leave horse poop places. It's just interesting - I guess I don't see the difference? Since it's so big and hard to pick up, it's okay to leave? That's the way most posters who are for leaving horse crap places are coming off.

I have a question, those that are for leaving horse crap places, do you ride your horses in public places? Like a public trail that lots of people use.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Did you leave the poop in the middle of the walk way if your horse went to the restroom?

"It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone...."
This is waaaay off topic, but the more I see that photo of Jack and the accompanying caption, the more I like it.

Christina, I have a small, home-based business. One of the things I make is a magnetic-backed, dry-erase refrigerator photo calendar. About half the calendars I sell use my "stock" artwork as the calendar background (the other half use the customer's photo as the background).

Would it be okay with you if I used your idea and the caption as part of my "stock" calendar offering? I'd get a cone for Tessa and take her photo (and probably use the cone for similar photos of all my kids, friends, and neighbors' dogs).

I'd be happy to send you a calendar with Jack's photo (or another photo of your choice) as a "thank you" for your "okey dokey" to use the idea.

Have a GREAT day!

Rob

Lizmo

Water Junkie
we walked on the side of the trail.
I guess I could see how this would be acceptable. And I think if you're walkong on a dirt, NON-public (like advertised or used be the public alot) trail/woods I would agree that it's perfectly fine to leave horse mess - if I was walking in a place like that I would probably not even pick up after my dog.

darkchild16

We are Home.
all the ones i ride on and any rider that i know is a dirt trail, i would have NEVER ridden Ranger on a concrete or asphalt trail for long. Most riders I know stick all to one side as well.

Lolas Dad

who paves a 18 mile trail??? cthats what im wondering

The county park system did that's who. It was an old railroad track that had not been used since the early 70's. It used to be a passenger train line. I'd rather ride a bicycle on pavement than a dirt trail and I am sure that Lola feels the same way when she is riding in her trailer. As for horses being on pavement they are on pavement everyday in NYC. Of course they have them wearing shoes so that probably makes a difference.

If you want to find some good trails with various surfaces for hiking, walking dogs etc then check out Rails-to-Trails Conservancy:: Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines:: Building healthier places for healthier people.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Woow, where do you live? :p We're getting a Rails to Trails built right now!

darkchild16

We are Home.
Actually for your information that is not good for horses, it is very bad on their feet legs and spines. Im sure my vet who graduated form the top equine school in the region and IMO in the country wouldnt steer me wrong ;)

and i like my bikes on dirt. lot softer ride. and you could never et me to walk mydog on pavement long. its not really that good for them either.

CaliTerp07

Hmm...I guess it's too much work for me to clean up after my dog. She pulls at the leash and yanks me after squirrels while I'm trying to pick it up. It's dangerous and sucks. That's a logical reason for me to just not clean up the mess and leave it in a public place.

Oh wait...

In my book, if you want to use public trails, you leave them in a better condition than you found them in for the next person to walk the path. If you want to be able to leave messes, ride private trails or horse-only trails.

I really don't get the argument of "if what I do bothers you, too bad, don't use the trails". Where is the kindness of going one step beyond for your neighbor? I don't care if it's horse poop or dog poops or baby poop or a soda can or a shoe. If you bring it in with you, you bring it out with you. That's the only fair way in my book for nature to be enjoyed by you AND the person behind you.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If it's so dangerous, then why take them to a public place in the first place?

I'm not trying to attack anyone, I just don't understand the logic. . .

darkchild16

We are Home.
Its dangerous to get on and off them not ride them, well until you get dog owners around, and because do you want a 1000+ pound animal freaking out if you have someone weird or something come around, horses need a form of socialization as dogs do ;)

say a hundred pound person is payning attention to something (in this case the poop) and you are holding a 1000+ pound animal and something comes by and spooks it whats going to happen to that person???

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I grew up riding on horse trails--we had a set of great trails within riding distance from my house. I *never* picked up after the horse. Ever. Not once.

This is how I look at it---The trails are set aside for horse back riders and hikers March through November and cross country skiers through the winter. Both horse back riding and cross country skiing are hobbies that take a toll on the trail. Horses leave manure and the skiers leave lots of ruts in the snow that harden.

The things is, you can hike anywhere on any trail in any city, county, state, or national park, but you cannot horseback ride (or ski) in most of those locations. Therefore, if the hikers (who can go anywhere they want pretty much) choose to use trails also frequented by horses, then they need to accept that there is going to be poo, just as if they are going to share the trails with skiers in the winter, they need to be prepared to deal with ruts in the snow (which are *far* more dangerous than poo, BTW, I know this from experience). If poo or ruts in the snow are a problem, there is always the option of a number of other hiking locations.

As Dekka pointed out, repeated mounting from the ground without the aide of a block can be physically hard on a horse (some horses poop smaller amounts a number of times during the ride), some riders have physical difficulties getting on their horses from the ground (therefore by requiring dismounting, you are essentially closing off all trail riding to riders with physical challenges), and there is a lot of potential for the trail traffic to be backed up while a rider tries to deal with an uncooperative horse--resulting in the very least in annoyed park users, and at worst in a horse or person getting hurt. There is a *huge* difference between a 60 lb dog pulling on the leash and a 1200 lb horse 'pulling on the leash."

Tons of potential problems for what? So people don't have to move 12 inches to the side to avoid some horse poo?

As for horses being on pavement they are on pavement everyday in NYC. Of course they have them wearing shoes so that probably makes a difference.
We recently watched a documentary about the horse drawn carriages in New York City's Central Park, and the lifestyle the documentary showed for the horses was just plain inhumane (Blinders YouTube Trailer).

The horse owners and riders who have been posting in this thread are obviously very passionate about their horses and horseback riding. Based on what I saw in the documentary and what I've read in this thread, I suspect all the horse riders here would say being on pavement for any length of time is bad for a horse.

Oh... if you care about animals and watch the documentary, it may cost you a bit of money. There's a good chance that, like me, you'll end up sending a donation to one of the groups trying to get horse drawn carriages banned from New York City.

Have a GREAT day!

Rob

Pops2

i haven't read the whole thread but from the first & last pages it sure looks like the horse people are doing the cat people thing. BULL$#!+, we all clean up after our dogs. you can clean up after your horses. if you can take the time to train them to deal w/ being around strange people & their dogs then you can **** well take the time to train them to wear a diaper. if your horse is too skittish to learn to wear a diaper it is too **** skittish to be taken in public parks where it is going to be exposed to any number of things that could cause it to freak out.
i am not talking off road in national forrests or BLM land, i am talking parks where dogs are specifically required to be picked up after. the rule is there because of the numbers of people that use it. remember horse riders are a minority and failure to be considerate will eventually result in regulation or a ban on them in the multiuse parks.

Members online

No members online now.