Rottie breeder selling adults. HUH?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
*sigh*

No, you obviously misinterpreted that. I am very attached to my dogs and they are a part of me which is why I could not participate in breeding. I would NEVER be able to give those puppies up. I would be too attached, which is what I meant, by giving it all. I am in dog ownership for selfish purposes.. for what my dogs bring to my life, not to show them off and get them titled and then breed them. They are mine, all mine. :D

And before this gets misinterpreted.. I own a purebred, so I am NOT against breeding. And we plan to add another addition to our home and that dog will also be a purebred. It's just not something that *I* could do.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I hear that a lot..."I could never give puppies up.." LOL It's a good thing SOMEONE can eh? Or more than half of us here would not have dogs...at all. Good thing, indeed.

Not picking...I just think it's interesting.

Any good parent knows it's just as fulfilling to see some being you have brought forth or raised, go out and make something of him/herself...make others happy...and add something to this world that is positive and needed....as to keep it only for yourself.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Yes, someone, but not me. For example... fila puppies are godawfulcute! A litter of those.. to go to someone else? Uhh, NO. I would want them all... for me and me alone. :D And then... my husband would divorce me. lol

I'm sure it is fulfilling for breeders to see their youngins out there making families happy and winning titles, but I am... I just couldn't. I am too attached. It would be like giving a part of me away every time... no way, lol. *sniff* I need to go hug my dogs now.

Boemy

I understand why people do it, but I'll bet the champions who are rehomed feel exactly the same as ones who are dumped on a friend/brother/parent because their owner suddenly is moving/doesn't have time for them/is having a baby.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
or the puppy "ripped from it's momma's teat and littermates, and sent to someone it doesn't know"

Yep AR's are right...we shouldn't have pets...it's far too emotionally trying on them.

S

Squishy22

I think that is the one thing I can not wrap my head around. I don't get why/how any individual would go through so much work to title a dog and love that dog and who knows how many litters and then just place it in another home. It makes it feel like solely business purposes and it disturbs me. And the logic behind it... they place the retired bitch so they can breed more... well, why not wait? Didn't that dog serve them well enough to be a part of their family for the rest of her life?
I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

I feel the same way. I CAN see why rehoming is done now that it has been explained in this thread, it makes sense, but I really don't understand how someone can rehome a dog that has been apart of their family for years or even months. I know I think of my dogs as my kids. I guess breeding is not how I thought it was. A lot of breeders think of their dogs as business partners and less as family members.

I couldn't be a breeder myself, no way, but I do respect people who are mentally capable of pulling it off.

Putting puppies in homes would be easy, its the rehoming of adult dogs that have been apart of your family that would be difficult and impossible for some.

I just wouldnt be able to stop thinking about what my dog is going through being ripped away from its family one day because its no longer up to "breeding standards." Especially a breed that is clingy to its family members.

Boemy

or the puppy "ripped from it's momma's teat and littermates, and sent to someone it doesn't know"

Yep AR's are right...we shouldn't have pets...it's far too emotionally trying on them.
Yes, a twelve week old puppy (who spent the first two of those weeks blind) obviously has the same degree of attachment to its owner as a seven or eight year old dog does. :rolleyes:

S

Squishy22

A puppy taken from its mother at 8 weeks is different than a full grown dog that has grown up and lived its life with ONE family for YEARS.

I kind of see it as comparing taking away an infant baby from its mother VS taking a 13 year old from its family and plopped into a new one. The baby would adjust way easier.

Just my opinion anyhow.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Putting puppies in homes would be easy, its the rehoming of adult dogs that have been apart of your family that would be difficult and impossible for some
Not something you ever have to to...if you are finacially able, and legally permitted to house as many dogs as you need to house.

Heck you can even keep the puppies you breed pet or show if you want to. It's personal...and up to each individual how and what they are going to do when their numbers get to that line we all have.

I see a lot of emotional projecting, in this thread and for my part...I think it's typical of ANY argument that dogs get brought up in..training, feeding, medical treatments, showing, working ex,

A prong collar is cruel to some and surely MUST be causing the dog some sort of emotional trauma....to another? It's a useful tool they use to make their relationship with their dog BETTER.

Your dog must be suffering horribly if you feed it Ol Roy...and if you really loved it you'd feed it better.

Your dogs must feel so unloved if they don't win at shows...I mean they sit in a crate all day and are only objects in a beauty contest....

How can you let your dog suffer so awfully with that disease...you should put it down...

How can you crate your dog while you are at work?? that is cruel and depriving it of it's freedom! You should train it better so it can be loose in the house...

There are those that are always going to have a problem with what you do with your animals, not because of how your animals feel...because face it Reggin, BP et al...you actually have no idea how any animal belonging to another person feels,...but because of their own ideas on what they THINK...is going on.

I don't expect folks to agree all the time...and if they have this sort of emotional pictures in their minds..no amount of happy smiling rehomed faces or stories, are going to change that, because that ruins the impression they want to have. If I knew french I'd insert that such is life saying here...but since I don't I'll just say...I am glad my hounds here and abroad...are happy...and I am glad for the time they spend with me, and I always consider them and their new owners...part of my extended family.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I understand why people do it, but I'll bet the champions who are rehomed feel exactly the same as ones who are dumped on a friend/brother/parent because their owner suddenly is moving/doesn't have time for them/is having a baby.
Not necessarly. Many of these dogs are used to living in strange environments - with the breeder, with the co-owner, with the handler, with another handler.... etc.

I know a retired champion that was rehomed, and she LOVED it - she was well cared for at the breeder's house, but she wasn't a fan of the hustle and bustle. The environment made this bitch very unhappy.

So the breeder had three options, as I see it.
1. Get rid of all the other dogs and throw 35 years of a successful breeding program down the drain to keep this *one* nice bitch completely happy.
2. Let the bitch suffer through a life that made her antsy.
3. Re-home her with a screened, experienced family.

I for one am glad the breeder chose Option #3. This bitch isn't the only one whose story ended on this note. Most adult breeder-rehomes are extremely happy in their new homes - they get to be spoiled.

Not to mention many families and individuals that would prefer an older dog from good lines. Already trained, already have good manners, out of the puppy and teenage stages... adult dogs are a wonderful thing. ;)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
A puppy taken from its mother at 8 weeks is different than a full grown dog that has grown up and lived its life with ONE family for YEARS.

I kind of see it as comparing taking away an infant baby from its mother VS taking a 13 year old from its family and plopped into a new one. The baby would adjust way easier.

Just my opinion anyhow.

A puppy in a new home...cries..shrieks...and howls for it's family, many times, for days...I typically get many calls those first few days from frazzled puppy owners worried they made a mistake and that their new puppy is lonely and hates them.

A 1 year old dog I rehomed...slept in her crate the first night, silent like always, found the door to go outside and was tearing around the yard with the kiddos earlier that same evening...and was out on the family boat the next day (yes I did get a pic).

Which one...do you think...exhibits more signs of trauma, and experiences more stress?

S

Squishy22

Not something you ever have to to...if you are finacially able, and legally permitted to house as many dogs as you need to house.

Heck you can even keep the puppies you breed pet or show if you want to. It's personal...and up to each individual how and what they are going to do when their numbers get to that line we all have.

I see a lot of emotional projecting, in this thread and for my part...I think it's typical of ANY argument that dogs get brought up in..training, feeding, medical treatments, showing, working ex,

A prong collar is cruel to some and surely MUST be causing the dog some sort of emotional trauma....to another? It's a useful tool they use to make their relationship with their dog BETTER.

Your dog must be suffering horribly if you feed it Ol Roy...and if you really loved it you'd feed it better.

Your dogs must feel so unloved if they don't win at shows...I mean they sit in a crate all day and are only objects in a beauty contest....

How can you let your dog suffer so awfully with that disease...you should put it down...

How can you crate your dog while you are at work?? that is cruel and depriving it of it's freedom! You should train it better so it can be loose in the house...

There are those that are always going to have a problem with what you do with your animals, not because of how your animals feel...because face it Reggin, BP et al...you actually have no idea how any animal belonging to another person feels,...but because of their own ideas on what they THINK...is going on.

I don't expect folks to agree all the time...and if they have this sort of emotional pictures in their minds..no amount of happy smiling rehomed faces or stories, are going to change that, because that ruins the impression they want to have. If I knew french I'd insert that such is life saying here...but since I don't I'll just say...I am glad my hounds here and abroad...are happy...and I am glad for the time they spend with me, and I always consider them and their new owners...part of my extended family.
I get what you are saying.

I feed my dogs that horrible purina one thats going to set my dogs into a deep depression. :rolleyes:

I've used prong collars.

I've used e-collars.

But whats the difference between an ignorant owner rehoming their family dog because they dont want to take care of it anymore and a breeder who gets rid of their dog because their not satisfactory to their program anymore? The emotional damage is going to be the same for the dog in both cases. Put your feet in the dogs shoes.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
btw an 8 week old puppy is not like a human infant. It is more like a human toddler...capable of moving, and feeding on it's own and understanding simple commands. So perhaps up the age on that infant to say 3year old....and I think you'd get a more accurate picture.

The 1-3 year old dog would be more like a teenager...say 14years old...and older dog just your average adult.

Most 14y/o's I know..to inject a little levity...actually would LOVE to live in any family but their own..LMAO.

S

Squishy22

A puppy in a new home...cries..shrieks...and howls for it's family, many times, for days...I typically get many calls those first few days from frazzled puppy owners worried they made a mistake and that their new puppy is lonely and hates them.

A 1 year old dog I rehomed...slept in her crate the first night, silent like always, found the door to go outside and was tearing around the yard with the kiddos earlier that same evening...and was out on the family boat the next day (yes I did get a pic).

Which one...do you think...exhibits more signs of trauma, and experiences more stress?
I really hope that is true in all cases, but I honestly doubt it.

Different dogs are different. Different breeds are different. I know Reggin didnt have a problem when I took him at 5 weeks, but I do know that if I gave him up today, he would NEVER forget that. He would be a mess.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I get what you are saying.
But whats the difference between an ignorant owner rehoming their family dog because they dont want to take care of it anymore and a breeder who gets rid of their dog because their not satisfactory to their program anymore? The emotional damage is going to be the same for the dog in both cases. Put your feet in the dogs shoes.
One difference, that I imagine is very imortant to the mental state of the dog...is the type of home an ignorant person picks...and a breeder picks. Which is super important. IF people rehoming their dogs because of say...moving...did so using the same criterium us breeders are expected to use when we place dogs...well I think dogs would be a lot better off.

When I see a dog with emotional damage due to a properly done rehome...I can answer your question...up to now the only emotionally damaged dogs I know personally are that way due to being physically abused.

So to state plainly...the term emotionally damaged doesn't sound accurate to me...but then I have actually done a rehome...and if we get technical...received a rehome since I have purchased a Ch. bitch. Neither cases have yielded up any emotionally damaged animals.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
LOL of course breeds are different and dogs are different. That is why not every single dog in a program...even of a breeder who rehomes...IS rehomed :rolleyes:.

If it's not what the dog can handle it isn't done...I didn't think that was a complicated thing?

S

Squishy22

btw an 8 week old puppy is not like a human infant. It is more like a human toddler...capable of moving, and feeding on it's own and understanding simple commands. So perhaps up the age on that infant to say 3year old....and I think you'd get a more accurate picture.

The 1-3 year old dog would be more like a teenager...say 14years old...and older dog just your average adult.

Most 14y/o's I know..to inject a little levity...actually would LOVE to live in any family but their own..LMAO.
But the 3 year old would be way more attached to its mom than an a puppy who has been in existence for only 2 months, and half that time he is blind, lol. A 3 year old has been around for 36 months... 36 months to bond with its mother.

Thats the difference. Motor skills are different than emotional development and emotional stages.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
You think so? You think a puppy is not attached to it's Momma..it's breeder...it's HOME...hardly at all? LOL. As a breeder I can say you are very much mistaken, Reggin. My puppies recognize me even if it's been YEARS...their Mother's too. Come now...

Your comparison which I am trying to go along with...is kinda not working out because people and dogs...are different species...with different lifespans...and different ways of bonding. You are forgetting that a scent to a dog is like a memory and many times those memories are strongest when ALL they have...is scents.

ETA: oops look at the time...dinner needs to be cooked...try not to have too much fun imagining the horrors of rehoming while I'm gone!:)

S

Squishy22

One difference, that I imagine is very imortant to the mental state of the dog...is the type of home an ignorant person picks...and a breeder picks. Which is super important. IF people rehoming their dogs because of say...moving...did so using the same criterium us breeders are expected to use when we place dogs...well I think dogs would be a lot better off.

When I see a dog with emotional damage due to a properly done rehome...I can answer your question...up to now the only emotionally damaged dogs I know personally are that way due to being physically abused.

So to state plainly...the term emotionally damaged doesn't sound accurate to me...but then I have actually done a rehome...and if we get technical...received a rehome since I have purchased a Ch. bitch. Neither cases have yielded up any emotionally damaged animals.
I wasn't meaning long term emotional damage. I was talking about the "emotional shock" of being rehomed. That kind of thing. Bad wording.

Of course the dog would eventually get over it;). It wouldn't be depressed its entire life, lol. I just wouldn't want to subject MY dog to any kind of trauma long term or not.

My point was that a dog doesnt know the difference from being ripped from is irresponsible owners VS being ripped from its responsible breeders. All the dog knows is that they are being ripped from their family, period. ;)

Members online