DNA test results!

BostonBanker

I would definitely say beagle - that's been pretty much a given all along. I don't see the Terv really, although she certainly has some sort of herding dog in her.

Remember, it only tests for a limited number of breeds. I don't think they test for any of the pit breeds due to concerns about misuse for BSL. I think there is probably some pit in her as well, along with some other random stuff.

I'm not sure who exactly did the test - it was the cheaper (65$?) one you do yourself, not the newer one the vets do. I'll have to ask about the picture.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I still say that if she is ANY hound.. its plott hound mix... lol and I stand by what I said.. lol

jess2416

Who woulda thought
same hwew jess. She screamed Plott to me right
Black
Black Brindle
Blue Brindle
Brown Brindle
Buckskin
Chocolate Brindle
Gray Brindle
Liver Brindle
Maltese
Orange Brindle
Red Brindle
Tan Brindle
Yellow Brindle

Markings

Black Saddle
Brindle Trim
Grayings Muzzle & Jaw
White Chest & Feet
See ^^ :p

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Secondary breed - Belgian Terv
Tertiary breed - beagle

Obviously there is some other "untestable" stuff in there as well. The two most common guesses from people who met her was either beagle x pit or beagle x aussie.
... ohh man... Where did your friend get her dog from?

It makes me sooo unbelievably sad/frustrated when I see Tervs mixed with things that really shouldn't be mixed with..

Its great she wound up with a good dog though :)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
LOL brindle is exceedingly exceedingly rare in Beagles (no idea on the Terv's incidence of brindle)...and for brindle to show one of the parents must be brindle...or both carry it recessively. In short...I'll disbelieve the DNA same as I did with the wirecoated tiny dog that was a BORZOI COLLIE SHELTIE on the today show. LOL ;)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The thing is, from those results she has a Terv grandparent, and a beagle great grandparent. At least, that's how I understand the primary, secondary and tertiary from the little I know of the tests.

I don't see the beagle either, I just see . . hound. Some kind of scent hound . . . beagle, coon, fox, plott . . . some sort of hound. And with a beagle as a great grandparent . . . I suspect that look actually came from somewhere else. I don't see the Terv at all, but with one grandparent, why would I?

Keep in mind that whichever version it is, it doesn't test for all breeds. Moreover, there is really no shortage of dogs in this country that are not any breed . . . they've been mutts and mongrels for generations . . . some of them probably going back to the arrival of Europeans . . . or even before, from Native American dogs. I haven't had Sarama tested, and when asked I tend to say I think she's Aussie/Jindo (there are reasons for this belief). But I actually would be surprised if she had a purebred of any kind closer than grandparent.

That brindle came from somewhere (in both Sarama and this girl) . . but it could have come from a pit (They don't test for ABPT at least, and I think they may exclude the AKC bullies as well). Or it could have some from another mix and its origins are lost. It could even have come from a plott hound . . . they are a new breed and there are probably plenty of dogs of the type out there not included in the stud book . . . and thus not in the DNA sampling.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
they do EXCLUDE all "bully breeds" from the testing due to the lieklyhood of misuse of making dna testing of all "pit type" dogs mendetory and banning them if theres even a hint of bully in there...

the testers are TRYING to keep this tool out of the hands of the Pro BSL people!

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
The test said neither parent was pure, right...and IMO the test results just mean Beagle or Terv is supposedly in there, "someplace"...I don't think it means grandparents were pure. And I still don't buy it...lol.

So IMO this test shows that the dog is a Heinz 57...which was probably known before the test lol.

I wonder...why Terv and not Mal or Belgian? The breed were interbred until fairly recently (1950's)...puppies of one variety are still born into litters of another...so you'd think they'd share a lot of DNA.

BostonBanker

Good lord people, it was really just done for fun:rolleyes:.

As I said, the brindle doesn't have to come from either the beagle or the Terv; it could come from any of a dozen un-testable breeds. It's not like they are trying to pass her off as a F1 beagle/terv cross. Neither parent was a purebred.

Yes, the dog is basically just a mutt. She does happen to be one of the most spectacular natured dogs I've ever met, with a hound's incredible tolerance for everyone and a herding dog's focus and trainability.

I've bought the kit for another friend for Christmas because I know she'll get a kick out of it. I'll be sure and keep the results to myself.

Dekka

Just try me..
Oh don't worry about it Boston. If people do them for a lark, and not take them too seriously, they can be great fun.

People get so hung up on trying to state a breed by pics, and will say things like that dog HAS to have, or CAN't have..."insert breed here" For example>>

This dog is full JRT. Her father is a big winner in the conformation ring, and a producer of conformation dogs (as well has hunting dogs) The mom is a nice little JRT with good lines. I bought this dog from an excellent breeder, whom I respect. Does she look like a Chi, Yep! Does she have Chi in her? Maybe waaayyyy back, but many dogs have things waaayyy back. I have had so many arguments with people who say she is a Chi.

If I was to post pics on this (or any other) forum, and said this dog stands 10 inches high, and weighs about 6 pounds, who would guess JRT? And just for interest sake her littermates look like very nice JRTs.

Really it doesn't matter what is in that dog, as long as your friend loves her (as she obviously does) and if she wants to believe, or not, that DNA test, it makes no difference to the dog. So nor should it to us.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Yeah...the tests are fun...but, IMO they will not always be for fun...

When the gov't starts offering to PAY these labs for their "pit or not?" results to enact thier BSL, more labs will include PB's/Bully breeds in their database (some already do), and there will be a slippery slope indeed.

Staff online

Members online