Agility training

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Laurelin said:
Saturday:

Mia gamblers: 3rd (I didn't even check yesterday since I knew we didn't Q)
Summer gamblers: --
Summer jumpers: 2nd, Q

Sunday:

Mia gamblers: 3rd
Summer gamblers: 2nd, Q
Summer jumpers: --.
Addendum: Summer got 2nd in jumpers on Sunday. I guess I should like... Check our runs an not assume that when there is more than 3 dogs in a class and we nq'd that we didn't place. Oops

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Addendum: Summer got 2nd in jumpers on Sunday. I guess I should like... Check our runs an not assume that when there is more than 3 dogs in a class and we nq'd that we didn't place. Oops
You can place without qualifying?

Either way, hurrah for Summer :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This is USDAA actually. I am probably the worst person to ask about rules but I am assuming you can since I got my results email and it had placements and Qs. And they had laid out ribbons for my NQ third and second place runs. I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to place without Qing in the bigger (BC) classes but 8" preferred had 3-5 dogs per class all weekend. Was actually more than in 12" regular (there was only 1-2 most runs I saw).

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
NADAC is so weird LOL. I know it's a thing and how it works, but I still don't get that!
I knew that was possible in CPE. For some reason I thought Laurelin was doing USDAA last weekend though and I thought USDAA was like AKC -- you have to qualify to place. No qualifiers = No placements.

If it was NADAC though that makes more sense, though like you I don't know much about NADAC though one friend competes in it since it's easier on her dog's body (big guy, inflexible structure).

Dunno why I thought USDAA though.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Whoops!! Sorry, I thought it was NADAC for some reason! I'm pretty sure in both you get placements even if you don't Q though. I wanna say the same for CPE?

One of my agility friends has been doing some CPE with her baby dog and she said it's a lot of fun. I think there's a few of them around here I thought about doing because it would be nice to just play with Payton and not be worried about people standing outside the ring shaking their heads at my wild child - it seems most of the people doing CPE right now are still in that "it's a game! we're just having fun!" mode as opposed to all the Serious McSeriousPants who do AKC around here.

SaraB

I had a WAYTOOFAST brown Border my first time ..we didn't get any places, we didn't get any Qs& I think we left two jumps LOL!!
This is pretty much the stage Zuma and I are in. Fly around the course at mach 1 and hope things stay up and we hit it all. Control is our friend. I repeat this everytime we walk out to the start line: "Agility is a team sport. Agility is a team sport. Agility is a team sport." She still doesn't listen.

Saturday:

Mia gamblers: 3rd (I didn't even check yesterday since I knew we didn't Q)
Summer gamblers: --
Summer jumpers: 2nd, Q

Sunday:

Mia gamblers: 3rd
Summer gamblers: 2nd, Q
Summer jumpers: --
Very nicely done!! What a great debut!

Kimma and I got her first QQ in Excellent today! Shame it won't count towards her MACH LOL. This was only her first time in Excellent JWW and her second time in Excellent Standard. We were in an indoor venue we've never been to before (I actually only entered very last minute because of that, and the president of the agility club hosting it told me there were still runs available).
Go Kimma!!! That's awesome!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Here's foundations video from this evening. It was really really hot even at 6pm... he started getting really tired and hot by the end of the second video. We tried to do lesson 3 but he was just too hot so I didn't force it. We'll try again Wednesday...

[YOUTUBE]jYrOS-w_h7U[/YOUTUBE]

Sends to the tunnel are going so well you can't even see our starting point for most of this video. =P I did not film sends to a jump today.

[YOUTUBE]qqHosOlBkRw[/YOUTUBE]

This is where he starts getting hot and tired. These are really tight wraps and he's not quite ready for some of them. Bars should be lower but I forgot to put them down... bad trainer.

We did Dave Munnings handler focus exercises outside just a bit ago (while these were uploading) and he's doing well at them, but it's kinda simple stuff. Holding the arm out for him to take a jump and then dropping my arm to bring him to my side. He's awesome at it even in tight circles (we are working this at home in my parent's backyard so much less space.) So awesome in fact that I dropped my arm when he was in the air over a jump, and he came straight down in the middle of a jump. Whoops. Gonna have to watch that.

He is weaving my stick-in-the-ground poles for the first time ever too. YAY! So I have slim hope he won't get in the ring this weekend and go "Weave poles? What are weave poles?! I've never SEEN those before!"

CaliTerp07

NADAC has placements without Q's. It's basically just a "handler reinforcement ribbon". Whoever Q's will take 1/2/3. If there are no Qs in your class, you can take the ribbon without a Q. I have a whole slough of placement ribbons without Q's. It looks darn impressive to the uninformed people who see Lucy's wall of ribbons (especially because Lucy's often the only dog in her class and gets auto 1st places if we finish the course...).

NADAC has a heavy focus on speed--their course times are MUCH faster than akc/usdaa (the tunnelers course this weekend was 14 obstacles in 26 seconds for elite dogs, 34 seconds for 16" novice dogs). As such, they want to reward people who run the course quickly.

USDAA does it too. I only have 2 USDAA Q's, but 4 placement ribbons. Same with CPE. I guess AKC is the only one that doesn't?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I had no idea you could place without Q'ing until yesterday. All of our placements were in classes >3 though. Mia's two ribbons were 'hooray you're not dead last in your class of four!' :rofl1: We had 3-5 dogs in our class.

Poor Summer did get dead last in her first gamblers class. :rofl1:

Payton's bark sounds just like Trey. I <3 him. He's looking good. Want to teach my dogs tunnels?

Ok so two questions.

1. What venues do everyone compete in? I can't keep it all straight. We've done USDAA and also would like to do AKC some.

2. Where to buy a decent tunnel for an ok price. I know they're pricey but I will need one eventually. I bought a kiddy one but it's too short to really work on our issues and also it got torn up easily. Might as well spend some money on a decent one.

CaliTerp07

1. What venues do everyone compete in? I can't keep it all straight. We've done USDAA and also would like to do AKC some.

2. Where to buy a decent tunnel for an ok price. I know they're pricey but I will need one eventually. I bought a kiddy one but it's too short to really work on our issues and also it got torn up easily. Might as well spend some money on a decent one.
1. Mostly NADAC. I've done USDAA and CPE as well, and enjoy them both but their trials are too few and far between (maybe 6 per year for each within a reasonable drive), while I can do NADAC every other weekend within 90 minutes of home. I have no desire to do AKC (12 hour trials for 2 runs is not a good setting for Lucy)

2. Mine came from affordable agility.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

1. AKC. Started in CPE (Kim) but switched out pretty quickly for a variety of reasons. USDAA doesn't really exist here unless I start traveling more than I do; NADAC doesn't exist here at all, though it was popular where I lived before.

Competing is really fun for me so that factors into my decision.

2. I bought mine used from a local agility club. I don't have sand bags for it yet so it's kind of useless at the moment ;) but I got a long (20'?) competition quality tunnel that was just a bit worn for $70.

That said my dogs are bigger. I've known people with toy size breeds who use play tunnels and such for practice at home. Mira would put a paw through one though...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
6 trials in a year would've been a lot for around here! :rofl1: I hope we get more trial options in the near future. We had the first USDAA trial in the state this last winter.

I have only just started and the club here trains in NADAC so that's what I do.

My nearest trial is 5ish hours away.

My tunnel is just a cheap one off Amazon but it was on sale for 10 bucks, plus the 15 for shipping of course lmao. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00COGTHR0/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit and for Diesels 10lbs it's good for home training.

Does anyone happen to know the ages for NADAC jr handlers? My son has expressed interest in handing Gage.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
6 trials in a year would've been a lot for around here! :rofl1: I hope we get more trial options in the near future. We had the first USDAA trial in the state this last winter.
Six USDAA trials in a year would be a lot here too. There are about two that I could possibly get to without going the hotel route. I travel too much to want to spend my weekends in hotels if I can help it...I'll do it for say a hunt test since I have no choice, but if I can trial AKC locally...

Now if you mean six agility trials of any kind in a year...then not so much lol. Agility (various venues, including USDAA which has since left the area for the most part) has been strong here pretty much since the beginning, which is one reason the local-ish competition is so much fun :)

I really hope agility continues to build in your area :) It's so much fun!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Payton's bark sounds just like Trey. I <3 him. He's looking good. Want to teach my dogs tunnels?
Restrains!! Mine naturally like tunnels anyway but I slap his harness on and do a restrained send. He learned it like lightning. His restrains to a jump are not quite as impressive (I can't get that far back yet, maybe only twenty feet?) but we're doing them the same way.

I do AKC because that's about all there is around here really. If I went up to Chicago I could do anything, but I'm not the world's biggest fan of driving in Chicago so I just... don't.

My first tunnel (it's red and has been in other videos and photos before) came from a place that is out of business now. It's a bummer because I REALLY like that tunnel and absolutely would have bought another from him.
The pink one in the above video was from a big NTI Global sale earlier this year and it was a pretty bangin' deal. I think you can buy smaller ones for toy dogs from them pretty cheaply but if you're investing and plan on a bigger dog later, you might just want to dish out the cash for a competition quality and size one (or similar.)
I have empty milk jugs that I filled with sand that will function as tunnel tamers, I just need bungees or something to loop them together so I can strap it across the top. Otherwise, like Shai said, they move around. With smaller dogs you might be able to get away without for a while though. Auggie and Georgie don't really move mine a whole lot, but P does.

Members online