Where should they sleep?

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Um...okay...am I the only one who's pup sleeps outside?

She didn't when she was a little pup - just the last couple of months. She sleeps in the shed (with the door open of course) with her doona on a mattress, with her toys and a hot water bottle. Not that she needs that but I just give her one for a bit of extra warmth...

Is this bad?????

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I don't think it's bad that Ruby sleeps outside. She sounds comfy, and I know she gets loads of loving from you during the day. Although some may disagree, a dog can spend a lot time outside and be just fine.

Fran27

I don't like the idea of letting dogs sleep outside honestly. I know mine would bark all night, lol. Plus it's getting chilly here, and I'd just rather have them sleep in the bedroom on their beds next to me (although the beds are still being delivered and Tips still sleeps in his crate at night for another month or so, until he learns to calm down lol).

Colby and May sleep in crates, Tippy sleeps on her bed right next to me. It gets too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer to have them sleep outside, they'd probably freak out not being with me, too.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
forget how they would feel outside - i wouldnt feel SAFE leaving them outside unattended!

both of my dogs sleep in bed with me each night. occassionally mya will move to the dog bed at the foot of the bed(she gets annoyed when bowie or i kick her).

my dogs are never left outside unattended, so having them sleep outside would never happen.

Sheba

I W A L R
When Wendy was a pup, we put her in a crate in the bedroom.Then we started letting her out, watching her for a little while at night, with some blankets on the floor.now she can just sleep wherever she watns, normally on the loveseat where she can watch the door, or at the top of the stairs where she can also see the door.She looks so sweet when she sleeps :)

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
doberkim said:
forget how they would feel outside - i wouldnt feel SAFE leaving them outside unattended!

both of my dogs sleep in bed with me each night. occassionally mya will move to the dog bed at the foot of the bed(she gets annoyed when bowie or i kick her).

my dogs are never left outside unattended, so having them sleep outside would never happen.
Really? Is that because they would wreck your yard or because you are worried that something might happen to them?? I just say that because Ruby is in a medium-sized, fully enclosed, very comfortable back yard, she is out there while we are at work and she sleeps out there in the shed. But whenever we are home (and awake) she is with us. We were told by our vet that dogs need to learn to be alone when you are home (not always - just for periods of time) or it can cause real separation anxiety should you ever have to leave them.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Rubylove said:
Really? Is that because they would wreck your yard or because you are worried that something might happen to them?? I just say that because Ruby is in a medium-sized, fully enclosed, very comfortable back yard, she is out there while we are at work and she sleeps out there in the shed. But whenever we are home (and awake) she is with us. We were told by our vet that dogs need to learn to be alone when you are home (not always - just for periods of time) or it can cause real separation anxiety should you ever have to leave them.

because god knows what would happen to them outside.
they would not wreck the yard - but i cannot control what people can do to them when they are out there without me -- people can attempt to steal them, taunt them, they are exposed to elements, they could be poisoned, they could escape -- (all things that have happened to people i know).

my dogs are never outside unsupervised. they are both able to be left alone in the house during the day with no problem and show no separation anxiety. i just do not believe dogs should be left outside without supervision, because you cannot control who has access to them and what could happen when you are not home. proper training and socialization can prevent separation anxiety.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
I agree with what you say - re stealing, taunting etc... I know of people who have had their dogs poisoned and it's just heartbreaking.

Ruby has been trained to never accept any food or anything from anyone except myself or Max. She has a special command to eat and will not eat ANYTHING until she gets that command. I did that for peace of mind more than anything else. It was hard to teach but worth it!

Our property is also locked by a full perimeter fence so that no one can get in or out - or even look over or through the fence. It's like a prison!!! Lol.... We also have really high trees around the fence line as well. Our neighbours can't see in, people from the street can't even get past the footpath. It's cool!

If we didn't have that I think I'd probably be more worried about her being outside alone. This morning she was so knackered after her walk I swear she's just going to sleep all day! :p

Members online

No members online now.