Buying Pup and Deworming

emc

I've been looking for a new puppy for a while and I found one that I would like. The ad said the puppy will have her first shots but it didn't say anything about deworming so I emailed and asked if the puppy will be dewormed. She wrote back the puppy is just over 6 weeks and that she will be dewormed when she's ready to go in 2 weeks and she goe's on to say that the deworming comes with the shots! This is what I don't get, doesn't deworming start at 2 weeks of age?

What do you all make of this? To me it sounds like the pup wasn't dewormed up to this time and she's going to do it on her next visit to the vet because I asked about it. I really want this puppy and I don't know whether to proceed, my family is suppose to go down and look at it today and put a deposit down. Any advice, should I make her sign some sort of agreement that she'll provide me with a vet statement that the pup is worm free or what? Should I walk away? I really want this puppy but I don't want any problems and I don't know anything about this deworming stuff.

Tobysmom

I have read that it should start at two weeks. If she waits to worm the pup when it's ready to go it may get infected by then or could already be infected. Some pups are born infected. She needs to have it tested for worms and started on wormer before you get the pup. Also make a vet appointment asap and your vet can also test the pup to be sure.

Fran27

Make sure also that you ask the breeder if the parents of the dogs had any health testing done (eye, OFA hips certification etc), temperament testing done etc. If they haven't, stay away from them, they are just after the money and don't care about breeding healthy pups.

Read this link for more info, and for hints on how to recognize a good breeders : http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566

Julie

I am back again.
Most all pups are born with roundworms.

Even if the mother is worm free, worms eggs can lie dormant in a mothers body, until she gets pregnant, then they are passed to the pups.
Worm medicine only kills adult worms, not eggs. That is why we worm them two weeks apart, to make sure they are all killed.

I think most breeders do start wormings at two weeks. And multiple times after that. I think first shots start at about 7 or 8 weeks.

The breeder that you are refering to is probably just a backyard breeder. And if you are set on a pup from them, then I guess you will just take your chances.

If you do go ahead, I would ask what worm medicine was used, and also what shot was used and what dieseases it covers. Then at least you have a record for when you take the pup to the vet. If he/she doesn't know what worm medicine, and shot given, then ask to see the vet report. If he/she can't do either, I would guess they are lying. The pup probably has had no dewormings, or vaccinations.

Best of Luck,
Julie.

femke

that's a tricky one... I would try to get more information like was said about health testing etc. if everything else seems to be okay you should be alright. Just take the pup to your vet as soon as you get it and get it's stool tested, then your vet will be able to tell you right away if it has worms...

When we first got Penny she had been dewormed and had had her vaccinations. Had a report from the breeders vet and everything. Yet when we got her she had diarhea real bad and the day after I saw blood in her stool so took her to my vet right away and got her stool tested. turned out she had hookworms. This really confused me since she had been dewormed! my vet explained that not all deworming medication works for every type of worm out there, the deworming medication that had been used was commonly used by vets but just didn't cover the hookworms so she needed be done again but with different stuff... She's been fine ever since thank god...

Julie

I am back again.
I also would like to add, stool testing is not 100%. Even if no evidence shows, they still can be infected with worms. That is why I like to do preventative treatments.

Cause I hate WORMS...... :eek:

emc

She said that her vet told her not to deworm before 6 weeks, this by the way is a chihuahua. Is it any different for a chihuahua, because of their small size the deworming should start later for them?? Any way I just spoke to her and asked if she will guarantee the puppy will not have worms, she said yes. I said will she provide me with a vet's statement when it's time to pick up the pup, she said she will ask the vet. My brother is now on the way to look at the pup and if all seems well put a deposit down. So I don't know how this is going to go, hope all goes well.

Julie

I am back again.
I have only had bigger dogs.
But since dosage goes by weight, I wouldn't think breed or size would matter.
The dosage would still be according to weight of pup.

6 weeks just seems a little late to start deworming.

pyrantel pamoate which you can buy over the counter will kill round worms and hookworms.

bubbatd

I'm confused. I always had my b*tches tested for worms before breeding , then the pup's stools at 3 weeks, and again before they went home. I've never had any pup with worms. This is over 30 years............

Julie

I am back again.
bubbatd,
You have bred for 30 years and have never had a pup with worms?
What did you do to prevent this?

My opinion is preventative dewormings, and I also have had a young pup to the vet and fecal was negative for worms, then was dewormed anyway and dead roundworms were present in feces.

For me, I don't trust the fecal examinations, I like to know that they are treated. Then I know for sure. Meds like pyrantel pamoate are very safe and then a followup dosage two weeks after, will kill the undeveloped worms from the first dosage.

There will always be a chance to be reinfected and then the dosage would have to be administered again.

Roundworms can infect children, and are much more serious in a human than in a dog. Do a google...
They can even come thru a childs eyes and blind or much worse.

Since I have children, I will take no chances.

Julie.

emc

Well, my brother put the deposit down, we get her in 2 weeks. He said the pup's mom was barking at him when he walked into the apartment but then settled down once he was in. The breeder picked up the pup and gave my brother to hold, the puppy was shaking, started whimpering and then did a wee-wee on my brother's pants. So I don't know, I'm having second thoughts, but it's too late now. I guess time will tell if we made a good choice. I'm hoping for a nice, friendly dog.

The breeder showed my brother the vet report that he had and he said he will give the pup's vet document when the pup is ready to go. He also repeated what his wife told me, that the vet said not to deworm before 6 weeks of age. Guess we're going to have to check this deworming stuff out with my vet and see what she says. I hope buying this pup won't be a mistake, she was just soooo cute, very difficult to resist.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Well, there is no reason to worry about a Chihuahua barking at someone entering their territory. They are very territorial and protective. But, a well bred and well trained Chi will NEVER bite unless provoked. Roxy has never bitten anyone except one girl that had her right in her face and was like rubbing Roxy's face all over her face. I told her to stop and she didn't, so Roxy snapped at her. Other than that, she has been awesome with children, other dogs, cats, etc.
All in all, don't worry just because a Chi was barking. Now I would worry if it didn't bark. That would just be abnormal!!!! LOL But, there is something that tells me this breeder is shady. I don't know. But, what's done is done. Good luck! :)

bubbatd

Julie, the only worms I have ever had were tape worms ....in adult dogs. The pup we bought in 1964 was loaded !!! Freaked me out !

Members online

No members online now.