Should we buy this puppy?

cosmo_mom

i'm posting this question here as i need some help in determining if we should buy this puppy or not. the story: we arranged to purchase a puppy from a breeder. the breeder had 4 litters within a short amount of time from each other. there have been a few puppies lost from each litter. i was told they lost some runts. in addition, there was an entire litter lost as the mother apparently smothered them all. we have put a $150 deposit on the puppy we picked out and was told that she is fine and healthy even though it appears to me from the photos that she has a runny nose. my question is, is it common to lose so many puppies? and opinions on whether we should go ahead with the purchase, or just lose the deposit.

1st of all have you ever visited the place where you are buying the puppy? Did you just look this breeder up on line and place a deposit on a puppy where you haven't even seen it's living conditions or that of it's mom and dad? My thoughts are to lose the deposit unless you plan on picking this puppy up yourself and seeing the mom and dad as well as how the rest are being kept. These people that have litter after litter and have both dying and sick puppies sound nothing more than a byb or puppymill to me. No reputable breeder will sell there puppies to someone they have never met or whom they have not screened. What kind of puppy is it?

M

Manchesters

Oh Boy!!!

cosmo_mom said:
i'm posting this question here as i need some help in determining if we should buy this puppy or not. the story: we arranged to purchase a puppy from a breeder. the breeder had 4 litters within a short amount of time from each other. there have been a few puppies lost from each litter. i was told they lost some runts. in addition, there was an entire litter lost as the mother apparently smothered them all. we have put a $150 deposit on the puppy we picked out and was told that she is fine and healthy even though it appears to me from the photos that she has a runny nose. my question is, is it common to lose so many puppies? and opinions on whether we should go ahead with the purchase, or just lose the deposit.
So glad you posted here!!!!!! I hope your deposit is refundable? But first we need more information. What breed of dog are you talking about? The parent dogs should have been tested for whatever health issues are particular to this breed. My strong guess is that anyone who has had 4 litters in a year is nothing more than a scuzzy backyard breeder, and that you will have nothing but grief if you deal with her.

Soooooo, before I get onto my soapbox, give us a bit more information, OK?

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
I agree with yorkie on this. If you have not seen the living conditions, conditions of mom and dad and pups then maybe you should forfeit your depo. Runny nose can be signs of any number of health problems. If you are still wanting to continue on with the sale at least go with this breeder to her vet and have to pup checked out. if there was any health guarentee then draw up some type of contract stating that if the animal is sick or unhealthy you have the right to return the animal with a full refund. If you dont, then before you seek out breeders and a pup go see the atmostphere of where the animals live, their living conditions and the health and welfare of the parents.

cosmo_mom

well, it's an australian shepherd, and while in retrospect maybe we should have done more research on the breeder, that's water under the bridge now. my boyfriend was excited to get another puppy and so rather hastily found a breeder online & put the deposit down pretty much right away. we both now realize it was hasty, but can't change that. our concern is not so much that we may lose the deposit, but we were excited about the prospect of another puppy, and now based on the information we have, we are obviously concerned. i am not certain, but guess that they make their living from breeding as they have several females. and to answer the question of whether we will be able to see them in person, the answer is no. only have photos and the puppy was going to be flown to the airport closest to our house. so before anyone jumps down my throat, please know that in retrospect as i already stated, we realize this was not a well thought out puppy purchase, but at this point we are just looking for advice on whether it would be wise for us to go ahead and get the puppy or not.

Well, I would have to say based on your 2nd post that I would definitely lose the deposit and start looking elsewhere. A co-worker of mine that works out of the office in New Jersey bought himself a cocker spaniel on line (site unseen) and had his puppy shipped to him. He has had this puppy for 6 months now (he paid $650.00 for the puppy and $250.00 to send to him) and he has already spent $1000.00 in vet bills due to the condition of this puppy. Of course his wife wouldn't allow him to return this puppy once she fell in love with it but I can guarantee his bills are going to continue for years to come.. Also, another forum I am on did research for me on this breeder and my co-worker was absolutely shocked at all the information about this breeder in regards to violations, inspections etc. Please do yourself a favor and lose the deposit and don't let this byb have reason to have another litter.

M

Manchesters

Well............

cosmo_mom said:
well, it's an australian shepherd, and while in retrospect maybe we should have done more research on the breeder, that's water under the bridge now. my boyfriend was excited to get another puppy and so rather hastily found a breeder online & put the deposit down pretty much right away. we both now realize it was hasty, but can't change that. our concern is not so much that we may lose the deposit, but we were excited about the prospect of another puppy, and now based on the information we have, we are obviously concerned. i am not certain, but guess that they make their living from breeding as they have several females. and to answer the question of whether we will be able to see them in person, the answer is no. only have photos and the puppy was going to be flown to the airport closest to our house. so before anyone jumps down my throat, please know that in retrospect as i already stated, we realize this was not a well thought out puppy purchase, but at this point we are just looking for advice on whether it would be wise for us to go ahead and get the puppy or not.
Unless this person has had the hips and eyes at least certified on the parents, NO you do not want a puppy. Unless you want to end up possibly spending thousands of dollars on hip surgery later on. And of course there is the liklihood that this puppy will have a bad temperament due to this person not even breeding for a good disposition.

No one is going to jump on you, since you are a total novice, and have not even had the advantage of a forum such as this to guide you down the right path.

But to answer your initial question, if no health testing has been done and you cannot see the puppies or the parents, HE|| no don't get this puppy!!!!!!!!!

cosmo_mom

Thanks, yorkielover, i think that's what we will do. we'll find somewhere closer to home that we can visit in person. by the way, out of curiosity, does anyone know if it is common to lose the runts out of the litters or for mothers to smother their puppies? i have obviously never owned a dog that had puppies so i'm just asking for my own info.

M

Manchesters

Check Breed Club

cosmo_mom said:
Thanks, yorkielover, i think that's what we will do. we'll find somewhere closer to home that we can visit in person. by the way, out of curiosity, does anyone know if it is common to lose the runts out of the litters or for mothers to smother their puppies? i have obviously never owned a dog that had puppies so i'm just asking for my own info.
Find the breed club online, and research their breeder referral page. If they suggest someone, you might be safe to get a puppy from that breeder. You might even want to consider an older dog...a rescue. That way you avoid all the horrors associated with raising a puppy, rofl.

M

Manchesters

Yorkie.....

YorkieLover said:
Well, I would have to say based on your 2nd post that I would definitely lose the deposit and start looking elsewhere. A co-worker of mine that works out of the office in New Jersey bought himself a cocker spaniel on line (site unseen) and had his puppy shipped to him. He has had this puppy for 6 months now (he paid $650.00 for the puppy and $250.00 to send to him) and he has already spent $1000.00 in vet bills due to the condition of this puppy. Of course his wife wouldn't allow him to return this puppy once she fell in love with it but I can guarantee his bills are going to continue for years to come.. Also, another forum I am on did research for me on this breeder and my co-worker was absolutely shocked at all the information about this breeder in regards to violations, inspections etc. Please do yourself a favor and lose the deposit and don't let this byb have reason to have another litter.
Tell your co-worker to check on the state's puppy lemon laws. He may be able to get some of his money back.

M

Manchesters

Not Common

cosmo_mom said:
No, it is not common to loose puppies under any circumstances. Especially if the breeder is with the pups as should be at all times.

showpug

Remember that there are color ethics to follow with Aussies and if they are not adhered to strictly than the outcome can cause a lot of health problems in the offspring and dead puppies. Example...you never breed a merle to a merle etc. (I think? I am a pug person but looked into this before LOL!!)

My next piece of advice is to loose the deposit and run in the other direction. There will be many more puppies that come along and they will be healthy and come from an ethical breeder! Don't settle, this is a lifetime companion we are talking about here!!! Trust your gut feeling on this one and do more research.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
The decision to get another animal is a big decision and we all at one time in our lives have done something hastly. Is it the stature of a registered pup your looking for or just a pure bred? You very well may find a pure breed in a local shelter or a local person who has bred their dogs and place them for sale in your local paper. Good luck with what ever decision you make.

cosmo_mom

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and info. Yea, my gut was telling me it just didn't seem right and now we know better. We do already have an Australian Shepherd, purebred that we bought here locally. We were able to go out there and see the conditions ourselves and have not had any medical problems whatsoever. And he is the love of our lives. So i actually was already aware of the color issues with them regarding breeding merle to merle. So we know a little bit, but were just being too rash & too trusting of an internet breeder. But thanks again everyone, that's why i like coming here, even if i don't post much, i always learn something

M

Manchesters

Instead........

cosmo_mom said:
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and info. Yea, my gut was telling me it just didn't seem right and now we know better. We do already have an Australian Shepherd, purebred that we bought here locally. We were able to go out there and see the conditions ourselves and have not had any medical problems whatsoever. And he is the love of our lives. So i actually was already aware of the color issues with them regarding breeding merle to merle. So we know a little bit, but were just being too rash & too trusting of an internet breeder. But thanks again everyone, that's why i like coming here, even if i don't post much, i always learn something
Start working your dog in obedience.......spend your time with him instead of a new puppy.

Aussies love company, Manchesters, and two are often easier to raise than one - and it is great fun having more than one . . . kind of like Manchesters - or Filas for that matter ;)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Glad you decided to lose the deposit. Our first pure bred dog we were going to get was from the original people who brought the breed to the U.S. and had their pics in books. We found out after paying in full & calling other breeders after the fact, that it was supposedly a puppy mill and we would have more heartaches, vet bills, etc. if we were to take the pup. We asked for a refund, etc. and never receive the money or a reply. It was a hard lesson learned but taught us so much about how to go about finding a reputable breeder.

M

Manchesters

Money

Renee750il said:
Aussies love company, Manchesters, and two are often easier to raise than one - and it is great fun having more than one . . . kind of like Manchesters - or Filas for that matter ;)
They just lost $150. It may take a while to recoup the loss. In the meantime they should take advantage of the free time to spend with the pooch they already have.

With each of my dogs I spent every possible moment giving them all the attention they could want. That way each of them has a great sense of self esteem, and self assuredness. I think that is why they DO get along so well. They each know their importance in life and have no "issues" to fight about. For the most part, that is, rofl. There are still times of "spontaneous combustion" that last for a matter of seconds.

But now that I am congitating on it, they really don't spend that much time playing with each other. The Whippets are more apt to enjoy each other's company.

bubbatd

Just got into this... As above I'd give up the deposit, but look into trying to recover it through any channel . This was not a good breeder !!! Plus, any up and up breeder would never ask for deposit. We had more people waiting than pups. I would never guarantee a pup with a deposit ... I would have to meet with them several times before I would decide if they were worthy of my babies. I turned down one family twice, until I thought they were ready. I finally thought they were and Bubba had studed a nice litter, so they had my choice of the pick of the litter. Well, they still weren't and turned him into rescue at 4 yrs.................. luckily rescue was Grrace and I took him in. My Hawthorn Hill's Chip of Bubba has been with me 5 years this fall. I now have the last of my line.

And as for Mother dog's smothering their puppies. They will do this if they know they're sick and not worthy of surviving. Obviously something was wrong with the pups. Or something was wrong with the whelping situation which shows the breeder didn't know what the heck they were doing. Glad you're running the other way...

Members online

No members online now.