Strangers giving treats, am I wierd?

R

RedyreRottweilers

OMG not a Rottweiler. They can suck in a treat from 10 paces, and generally don't care what it is or who it comes from.

Rosefern

I don't mind, as long as the said people ask before they dole it out, and if the dogs have to do something first. Usually not complicated, a simple "sit" or "shake" will do.

Flicka will happily accept treats, pets, attention, anything (Seriously, the dog is starved.) from anyone that's willing to give it to her. Pepe, on the other hand, won't accept food from strangers, so not really an issue there.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Wouldn't bother me one bit.

People have and do give Bo treats when we're out walking.

It doesn't mess up her entire lives worth of training because one person wants to treat her.

Paige

Let it be
If I had been with Bandit I wouldn't have cared because he wouldn't have taken it even if the guy tried shoving it down his throat. He doesn't take treats from strangers. It wouldn't have even caught his interest. If it had been Spanky or Miley he threw I a treat at he would have gotten an earful. I probably would have made up a lie about how my dog is deathly allergic to whatever to drive my point home. I don't feed people's children random crap. Don't feed random crap to my dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
Dekka doesn't tolerate grains well so I would have been peeved. On the other hand I like people giving my dogs treats as it helps with the socialization. And heaven forbid if any of my dogs got loose when traveling I want them to be willing to go up to the nearest person and run around the country side dodging cars. (Had an incident with my Dalmatian who got loose-her crate broke-at Pierson International Airport in Toronto. They almost had to shoot her cause they wouldn't let me out there, and they couldn't catch her. Finally she was cornered)

I usually either say no she is allergic, or if I have a treat on me I say 'here give her one of these, they are her favorites'

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Well here's the other thing I was thinking, the guy had a dog she was obviously reacting badly to, barking, hackles up, pulling on the leash (it was taking a lot of effort to get her to focus on me), would the guy giving her a treat be a GOOD thing in this situation, telling her that other dogs come with good things? Or a bad thing by reinforcing her negative behaviours?

I ended up picking the treat up where it fell and holding it up to her, keeping her focused on it until the guy walked away, THEN giving it to her.

Dekka

Just try me..
It would be a good thing. I give Dekka treats like crazy if she gets worked up to the point of snarking. It is pairing the strange dog with something good, not the snarking. And eating a treat is not compatible with snarking anyway :)

Members online

No members online now.