puppys got a cold?

toonk

hey everyone,
i have a 9-10 week old Shepard/boxer/lab/pit (gold old American mut) puppy. she has been doing well since i brought her home, taking to the crate very well, learning quick, etc. took her to the vet just after i got her since she is a rescue, and she had a bit of coccidia, and round worm. she has been treated for the round worm, and is taking meds for the coccidia very well. her poops have become more consistent and solid. i brought her up to my girlfriends in northern California, where it is a bit colder from where I live, and I think the puppy got a bit of a cold?
she has a runny nose, and sneezes. which i figure to be no big deal, and put a heater near her crate to keep her a bit warmer in the night.
and then this morning we got up, fed her her kibble and she began throwing it up right away.
i did give her one of those nifty rawhide treats from the pet store yesterday
(50% off sale on X-mas themed stuff) so maybe thetas what upset her tummy?

she seems to be in pretty good spirits despite not feeling well... still trying to chew everything as puppies do, and playing tug-of-war with my girlfriend.

so, any ideas?
should i be worried and rushing to the vet, or just hang out and see how things go?

thanks guys

-Chuck

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
How long have you had her?

Is she sneezing or coughing? Like a kennel cough?

I would worry about putting the heater directly on her. Maybe put it in the area so that it warms but not so that the flow of heat is directly on her.

Her tummy could be upset from the rawhide.. was is just a normal rawhide? Did you supervise her chewing it? If she took a big chunk off of it, it could be stuck, which could be why she threw up.

Is she drinking water regularly? Is she dehydrated at all?

I don't mean to alarm you, I'm just shouting out my ideas and asking questions to get a better idea. I'm not vet, but I've got three dogs of my own. :)

toonk

no alarm with the questions.
its definitely a sneeze, and no coughing. she was at the vet on Monday, and he didn't raise any alarm over the possibility of it.

the raw hide is a red/white striped candy cane looking thing. so maybe whatever is in it that makes the red part upset her tummy.

that's exactly what i did with the heater, put it near, but not on her, and her crate is big enough right now that if she were cold she could move to the front and closer to the heater, or to the back if its too hot. i Checked on her periodically through the night and adjusted the heater according to how it looked like she felt about it.

she is drinking her water, along with tipping her bowl over, gotta love how puppies love to make a mess.

she is playful, chasing her kong around and stuff, but now she is napping on the girlfriends lap.

oh, and i have had her since last sunday, so nearly a week

thanks for your help and time!!

chuck

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Hmm. She could just be generally upset. You've not had her for a full week and she's been in your home and now visiting another.. that's a lot on a puppy. She was introduced to rawhide, which could very well have really upset her tummy, especially the colored ones- who knows what is really in them, ya know?

Since she did throw up, though, I'd give her chicken and rice to soothe her tummy for a day. And then introduce her to her food again.

Keep an eye on her as I'm sure you already do and if you notice any change, take her to a vet right away.

Those puppies sure do like to worry us don't they. :p Good luck! :)

toonk

sounds good. Ill give that a try. talked to the vet and they want me to bring her by, so ill watch and see how she does, and probobly bring her by tomorrow

thanks again for your help

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
sounds good. Ill give that a try. talked to the vet and they want me to bring her by, so ill watch and see how she does, and probobly bring her by tomorrow

thanks again for your help
Hmm. Was it a "I can't give advice over the phone" excuse to get her brought in or was it "we should check her out just in case"? Because if it's the latter, I'd take the vets advice over mine any day! :)

toonk

seems like the later, they looked me up in the comp, and saw where i got her and what not, and said it could be a few things that didnt show up in preliminary tests.
but then again they didnt listen to symptoms much, just a bring her in so we can check her out again.

toonk

as of now, she is doing great, she slept all day in the truck. had a good poop tonight ate lunch (since she didnt keep breakfast down) and dinner really well. and tore the house apart, even after a nice long walk. no more sneazing, and no more watery nose. I will see how she is in the morning. but if she is even better then tonight, i think i will nix the vet till next time.
but we shall see.

toonk

haha i posted a few on the main board a few days ago.... but so much volume there pushed me out prety quick... ill bump it back to the top now.

Members online

No members online now.