Colt's scrawny, not gaining weight!!

BostonBanker

I am interested to know what you mean by "good local sources" for your RMB. Can't you just buy where you buy your own meat? At the grocery store or butcher?
I think it would cost me as much, if not more, to get RMB from the grocery store as it costs to get the frozen raw. I'm also much more comfortable buying meat produced locally for the dog (I don't care nearly as much for me!). I know there are a couple of local turkey farms that will be selling necks and tails cheap come Thanksgiving time, and I'm hoping to stock up a bit then. I also have a friend with an organic sheep farm that said she may be able to get me some things. Until recently, I didn't have enough freezer space to even consider doing homemade. Now that I've got the chest freezer, I plan to look into it more.

Yes, I did try canned - Merrick - because that's the kibble I am currently using. His stomach was upset. It made a lot of gurgling noises and he had very bad gas (stinky!!). I think canned is too rich for him. I have aslo heard that long term it can be bad for his teeth. Mixing it in with the kibble really didn't improve his intake. I do mix eggs in from time to time - he loves eggs!!

I think Colt loooks great too!! He has a beautiful coat and he is still young - only 16 months. I think he will fill out as he gets older. I can feels his bones but he does eat. I personally think my vet is making too much out of this. I have had testing done and nothing was found. I just think it is the way he is.

I go back and forth about changing his food. He is tolerating the Merrick Puppy Plate well and seems to like it as far as kibble goes.

I'm not sure what you mean about Merrick - please elaborate.

I decided to go ahead and try the Evo Red Meat today though. He did take some from my hand so I added a little to his bowl. I'll keep you posted.

Melissa_W

How long has he been on the Merrick? He really needs to gain some weight, imo. Maybe you could supplement his diet with some extras? Eggs, meat, RMBs, etc. Something to stimulate his appetite.

Edit: I just saw your post. I hope he likes the Evo!

showpug

I forgot to add that your dog is VERY fine boned which is going to make him appear thinner than he actually is. I think that can be misleading to people. They mistake fine boned for too thin when in fact the dog is just fine. It's actually been proven (I am sorry, I can't find the source) that dogs that are slightly underweight actually live longer, healthier lives than dogs that are ideal or slightly overweight.

Thanks Herschel. That information makes it easier to make the switch!!

I think Colt is very petite too. I still think he could stand to add at least 5 lbs. though.

I have been supplementing with cooked eggs occasionally. Colt loves them and eats his entire bowl of food when they are added. That's why I believe this is not an appetite issue that may signify a health problem. I just need to find the right diet.

Now that tests have been done and no health issue exists, I'm going to give the EVO a shot. If that fails (and I think a month is long enough to see) I will try raw.

Thanks for your input everyone - it makes me much more confident in my decision......

milos_mommy

i was going to suggest raw. Even if you don't totally switch, some raw might put weight on him.

adojrts

I feed a combo of EVO and Wellness with great success. How old is your dog? (hope I didn't miss it in the thread).
I get pups off puppy food asap and put them on a high quality adult food with no ill effects.........most of the breeders that I know also don't feed puppy food.

Good luck
Lynn

It was actually the pet store owner that suggested puppy food - Colt is 16 months old. She said it helps dogs gain weight sometimes. Thought I'd give it a try but it didn't help him. I'm giving the Evo a go. I am mixing it with the Merrick right now but he is picking the Evo out and eating it. I sort of think Colt gets bored with his food and would prefer variety, however, I have heard conflicting opinions on frequently switching dog foods.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I have a picky girl. More I catered to it by switching food after each bag we finished, worse I made it. Least picky she's ever been has been on 5-6 months straight of Orijen. She usually eats it when I put it down.

Adding 5 pounds to a 19 pound dog is a lot of weight. I really wouldn't aim for that, you then might have a decidedly overweight dog suddenly.

Dekka

Just try me..
I switched back to raw (even though it is a bit of a pain while going to school, house work, barn stuff etc etc) Simply due to the differences in raw fed dogs. We recently got Bounce and Dash. They have been eating Orijen and canned food. (the 95% meat from wellness ones..wet food is LESS rich than kibble, you have to feed a lot more of it to get the same nutrients, but it is tasty) Dash and Bounce's littermate came to stay for a week. Fly is raw fed. Bounce and Dash are a bit ribby, but have great energy and shiny coats. But Fly glows, her weight is perfect, her coat gleams! They are about 2 and 1/2 months old. Part of it with the raw is, whippets are not great eaters. The raw is really yummy so they eat all their meals. This is not an issue I am familiar with, as my JRTs eat everything, some like its their first meal in days.
I just bought 108 chicken backs for $25 about 40 pounds. Chicken necks would be better as the backs will be more than Scandal or Dekka need, but can't get them locally right now. Over all it is cheaper than feeding Evo, and about the same as orijen. My dogs look at me like I am the coolest human ever when I feed raw :D

Hmmmm - lots to think about. Have any of you been following the thread about Brody? He has an obstruction from a Natures Variety Bone and is very sick. This concerns me. Any thoughts?

Melissa_W

I'm not familiar with that particular bone, but I think it's an unfortunate fluke. It was a recreational bone, I believe, not dietary bone. Dietary bone is not supposed to be more than 10% of the diet, which is not very much. So, something like that would be very unlikely to happen to a raw feeder, imo.

Dekka

Just try me..
reck bones are big. I think that is what Brody got. I don't feed them, after Dekka broke a tooth on one. But they do eat smaller bones. If you feed bones something like a chicken neck is good for a first timer, the bones are too small to cause a blockage.

Melissa_W

Exactly, Dekka. I've heard people call them wreck bones (instead of rec bones), because that's exactly what they can do. Of course, some dogs never have a problem with them.

Chicken necks are good for smaller dogs, though they can be a choking hazard for larger dogs that can try to swallow them whole.

Do you think a neck for Colt (@19-20 inches, 19 lbs)? I was planning to start with chicken leg quarters if the EVO did not work. Maybe they will be too big. I'm thinking necks might be better for his size.

Melissa_W

You know, I am particularly squeamish about feeding necks because I have heard a few stories about dogs chocking on them on the raw feeding list I belong to. I usually don't feed anything smaller than a wing or drumstick. I like feeding big because it gives them more mental stimulation and is better for their teeth. If you are feeding a pound of food a day, you are going to need more than just necks. I suggested leg quarters to you, because in my experience they weigh about a pound. So, I mean, toss some necks in if you want but feed some larger, meatier parts too.

By the way, Colt must be even thinner than he looks. Kai is 15 inches and weighs 21 pounds, which is his ideal weight. I hope that you find a way to pack on some pounds!

Members online