Mass Slaughter of Pit Bulls in Sikeston, MO

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Dickwads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bo76_qbYJ0

SIKESTON, MO -- Animal control officers went house to house confiscating pitbulls and anything that resembled a pitbull. The family pets were taken to shelters and many risk immediate euthanasia. Owners were not given trials, court appearances, or any form of due process. They were not compensated for their stolen property. They were simply robbed of their cherished family members, many of who
m will now be killed by the state.

Some of the victims mention how they tried to be law abiding citizens, and yet they were still punished. They complied with all the onerous Dog Control laws, such as dog registration, extra insurance mandates, putting up signs, and so on. Yet in the end, it was their compliance with Dog Control laws that ultimately led to the government coming to their doorstep to confiscate their property. When Dogs are outlawed, only outlaws will have Dogs.

Its awful...I know rescues and shelters here were doing their best to get as many as possible moved up here (though not like we are not already overflowing with pit/pit mixes)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
This is horrible and my heart is broken over this. If someone tried to come to my door and take my dogs when they are perfectly healthy and not mistreated, then they better have a freaking death wish. My Bersa would have their name written all over it. Ugh I'm angry and sad over this.

Sparrow

Good luck to anyone that even thinks of trying to take my dog. I can't even imagine.

Airn

Yes, on the Sikeston Humane Society Facebook page, they explain that as well. I don't like the 'bully breed' laws but I think sometimes 'animal extremists' make it worse. In situations like this, it is better to be calm and educate the local government (or whoever) that it is not the breed's fault. But people throwing up their hands and making it sound like 300 dogs were lined up and shot to death is detrimental to the cause. While we should continue to get rid of these breed restrictions, we need to realize there are some valid reasons these laws are in place. Once we find solutions to these reasons, then we will be able to get rid of these laws. The breed laws are in effect for lack of better laws/regulations.

I would be curious to know the situations of the 3 dogs that were seized. Maybe they were in environments that were harming them. I don't know the situations so I try not to judge.

I could say something along the lines of "There is a famous football player who has had a few run-ins with animal control. He had his dogs taken away. He feel very bad about what happened with the dogs and says his children will benefit from having a dog. He says it is his punishment and not their's. Shouldn't his children be allowed to have a puppy?"

Now, a lot of people would probably just jump in and say how awful it is that these kids can't have a dog and don't you see how bad he feels? But since it's Michael Vick, people freak out and say no way. (Which I agree with. Not trying to defend him here.)

This is why I like to check a few sources before believing anything (especially controversial things) are true. Thanks for the information, elegy.

Really, though, there are NO valid reasons for breed specific laws, and they aren't even breed specific, they're broadly TYPE specific :wall:

And they do not work. :(

Members online