Blood (scab)- long

bogolove

My husband and I went to Texas last week to visit his parents. Brady stayed with his girlfriend who is a beautiful and sweet 11 month old chocolate lab who he LOVES very much. We were gone only one night and i got back and noticed he had what I thought was mud caked in his fur of his cheeks. I had been petting him and I felt this roughness and I tried to investigate and it looked like mud. Well, we gave him a bath tonight and I noticed it was a huge scab and his fur around his cheeks turned pink from the dried blood. I had taken him over there to play with her and I notice when they play somtimes they play pretty rough and she bites his cheeks and pulls pretty hard. Now she is so sweet but she is a 90 pound female lab who is basically still a puppy. He is about 70 pounds, not that that has anything to do with it, but just giving you a picture of the little bit of weight she has on him. I don't really know if I am asking for advice here, or just telling a story or what. he loves her and they love to play with each other so much, i hate to not let them. she drags her parents over here (literally) and he does the same towards me when we walk by her house (she only lives 4 houses down). i guess i was wondering if they will grow out of it, or is there some way i can prevent it? Or what do I do? These two are almost like brother and sister so i can't really not let them play together, and they usually are so good, just every now and then i notice they get rough and she does that to his cheeks, but he does it back to her too when that happens. i thought I should just keep them apart for like a week and let him heal and then maybe let them play again. Let me know what your thoughts are. Sorry so long. :confused:

I think you've got the right idea. You might consider, too, putting some bitter apple on their cheeks to discourage biting there. When it looks like it's getting too rough, just distract them by telling them, "easy" or some other similar command. Then you can praise them for stopping, pet them and calm them down a bit. They're just getting over-excited and over-enthusiastic.

They'll eventually learn to be easier on each other as they get older and less rambunctious. But it sounds like a wonderful friendship for the two dogs.

bogolove

They really are. Her tail wags so fast when I bring him over that it literally feels like a whip on your leg. You can tell they absolutely love each other, they just get a little rough sometimes. They play so hard together (not being rough but wrestling and running around and chasing each other) that when I bring him home he is exhausted and will sleep for hours. They get such good exercise together, she can run so fast and he just chases her and chases her around the yard. She is so funny too. They have a kiddie pool over at her house (just for her) and she will get in it and put her head in the water and blow bubbles. She likes to get in there to cool down, and she looks like a seal when she is in there, because she is so brown and her fur is so sleek. Brady has gotten to where he will stand and sometimes sit in there with her, but he will not wallow in there the way she does. He usually just drinks out of it while she is lying in there. They are so funny. :)

Welcome to the forums! That’s what my shelties do, they run, and play rough (there has never been any blood) when I want them to calm down a little, I give them a command (sit, down, stand, whatever) and that will clam them down pretty good. It sounds like they have a great time together!!

That's funny that she puts her head under water and blows bubbles. My girls do that, too, then they'll try to bite the bubbles. It's a hoot to watch them! They've learned to go wallow in the pool and clean off before they come inside when they've gotten muddy out in the pasture.

bogolove

I took him over again tonight and we even watched them to make sure they were not too rough but that is just how they love to play. Sure enough she got him good right under the chin, and she got the blood on the back of his coat so that is how I noticed it. Her mom was so upset about it. She said she was so sorry, but I told her I know they are just playing and thye love each other so much. she said to her dog, Jenny quit doing that to Brady or he won't be allowed over here anymore, but I would not have the heart because Brady would be heartbroken if he could not go over there. I noticed though that he tries his hardest to keep her away from his face when they are play fighting/playing/wrestling. You think if I put bitter apple stuff on his face that might work? But wouldn't that be kind of cruel to him? I guess it is better than cuts on his poor little face.

I bet they grow out of it, either that or if the female accidentally hurts Brady enough he will bite back and establish some barriers.

When I had my rottie, the GSD down the street and her were best friends...they would play in my fenced back yard so rough that I had the cops called twice for a "dog fight" in my backyard :eek:

Fortunately there was no bloodshed, but there were some tired limping dogs around from time to time.

bogolove

Well that makes me feel better. And believe me he is no innocent angel, he puts his mouth around her whole head or he will put his mouth around her throat. I think the thing is that his skin around his face is looser and she will bite and pull really hard. He nbites her hard but she has nothing to pull, no loose skin whatsoever, so he just bites and releases. His skin around his face hangs down a bit, and that is where she gets him good.

Members online

No members online now.