Has anyone heard of these?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Your dogs history...

Very few sporting breeds of dogs have had as interesting a history as the Chesapeake Bay Retriever -- which in 1964 became the official dog of the State of Maryland.

It is well documented that in the year of 1807, an English ship, trading between Newfoundland and England, was wrecked off of the coast of Maryland. The cargo and crew were rescued by an American ship on its way to Baltimore. Among the cargo taken aboard the American ship CANTON, were two Newfoundland puppies.

The male dog was subsequently named "Sailor," and the bitch was named "Canton," after the rescuing vessel.

The dog, which was red in color became the property of John Mercer of West River, Maryland. The bitch which was black and was given to Dr. James Stuart of Sparrows Point, Maryland, in gratitude for the hospitality shown the sailors of the wrecked brig. Both Mercer and Dr. Stuart were ardent hunters of waterfowl and soon discovered that the two dogs were exceptional retrievers.

Their retrieving abilities made their offspring much sought after by local duck hunters. By the mid-1800s the breed was clearly distinguishable. These dogs soon became legendary for their skill and stamina working in the ice-choked waters. Ducks and geese were abundant, but the icy water and rough seas of the Bay area made gunning a tough game
Taken from http://www.northernflight.com/Cbr-hist.htm

Pretty new itself ;)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Leslie + Chessies said:
When it bred true to standard every time.
Ok - so that's what they are currently doing... Trying to achieve the standard. Give them chance!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Unique: Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are the result of crosses with Newfoundlands, hounds, setters, water spaniels and other dogs and were first recognized as a distinct breed in America in the middle of the 19th century.
I believe you posted this?! ;)

What is the difference to your breed and what they ar trying to achieve?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Not in the grand scheme of things... In breed development that is a twinkle in an eye!! That really is very recent.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
And besides.. Date is irrelevant.. It's the principle and morals. They are doing nothing more than what happened when your breed developed. The difference is, it is happening today. It is a tad hypocritical to say developing new breeds is immoral and own a pretty new breed, which came from mixing other breeds, yourself.

Chessies were not bred just to look good, to be fancy, to look like a wolf.

They were bred for a purpose: "Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are the result of crosses with Newfoundlands, hounds, setters, water spaniels and other dogs and were first recognized as a distinct breed in America in the middle of the 19th century. They were ducking dogs used by market hunters for retrieving waterfowl and protecting the day's catch. These early objectives in breeding and selecting for outstanding ducking dogs has endured in today's Chessies - they are still remarkably tough working dogs and loyal, protective companions."

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok.. so the purpose was different. The reason was the same. There were already lots of brilliant retrievers out there. But some guy said - I bet I can make one better, and off he went. There are a few wolf like dogs out there, and some guy has said, I bet I can make one more like it, and a better personality and they are in the middle of trying.

Explain where the difference is other than the date?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
So you wouldn't own a dog that looks like a wolf... Many people would. It is their passion. Yours is for a retriever (I am sure you must work them - you wouldn't have got them for looks judging by your previous comment as that is not a valid reason (purpose) for a dog?)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well... I think that looks is as good as purpose as any. And MOST people buy dogs for looks these days anyway. Or personality. NOT working ability. Look at toy dogs - what use are they lol! (joke!)

But yes.. enough is enough and it is WAY past my bedtime.. Even the dog has got bored and gone to sleep ;)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
like i said before, sometimes companionship is as good a purpose as any...

my chihuahuas were not bred to do anything special, i have chihuauas because i love the way they look and i ADORE their personalities, from what we can find they were never bred to do anykind of work...they were bred simply for looks and for companionship...

and ill tell you...
they do a pretty damned good job of it...

i suppose im kind of playing the devils advocate in this one...

But it just bothers me that people seem to place companionship low on the list of jobs dogs do...and i personally think its the one they do best.

bubbatd said:
I've always wondered why people will go into exotic and unproven breeds when they are so many great ones available plus in the HS.
There are certain qualities people look for. I went the route I did because I knew the family the dog came from, I wanted a husky/malamute variety of dog but with more versatillity and resilliance, I wanted an easily impressionable dog, I wanted considerable intellegence, plus a variety of other traits. I won't lie and say that some of the appeal wasn't the wolf-ish features like appearance and build, but they were a mere portion of what made the whole package appropriate for me.

I've always wondered why people who sell and give away exotic and unproven breeds do so to idiots when there are so many smart people out looking to make great pets of them.

back off

his love for these new doggies is great i think all breeds were started that way too the shihtzu at some point was thought as an apso so who careif we find good combos then go for it i have a papas tzu he has the most wonderful personality i could ask for but my pure breed shih tzu is a typical one who is totally different then pluto i would love papastzu to be a full breed one day i want a girl because i have fallen in love with my hybrid

steph:mad:

Members online

No members online now.