Tattooing your pets?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Excuse me? Where did I say that? I said it would specifically be FOR ID purposes. I crossed off things like phone numbers and addresses because those specific things can change and then it would be useless.

Yes, it would be something that I thought of...that would be easily traced.
For ID purposes, an image/design may actually work better than a bunch of numbers or letters.

It depends whether you're intending the tattoo to supply some kind of contact information, or to prove ownership if there's ever a question of whose dog it is.

Numbers are easily altered (3s become 8s, etc) as are letters. Ear tattoos can be cut off. Chips can be cut out. It would be really hard to alter an image without leaving evidence of the original design.

I could see having a design tattoo for a dog of a breed where they all look pretty similar to each other. My zois are very distinct as individuals. But if they were labs, or dobes, or rotties, or any other breed where one looks like the other to Joe Schmoe I'd consider it as a backup form of ID.

With a pack of hounds I'd understand them all tattooed with the same design in case one got lost while out hunting, especially in an area where theft is a possibility. A tattoo is a tattoo, and I'd probably opt for something nice like a stylized chrysanthemum vs. black dashes or random (to other people) numbers, etc.

There's the option of freeze branding, but it doesn't work on white dogs. Also, I think I'd prefer a cute discreet tummy tattoo over giant white numbers or designs in my dog's coat. Also, branding seems like it would be a lot more painful during the healing process than a tattoo.

Anyway, I probably would never do it. But it doesn't bug me. Cropping has a waaay longer recovery time than a tattoo and that doesn't really bug me either. With all the dogs cats who don't even get basic care, I'm not going to fuss if someone tattoos their animal. The animal doesn't care if they have a tattoo.

Barbara!

I am pro crop and pro dock however never in a million years would I support tattooing an animal, besides id purposes like they do for horses. Being said that, I only support docking when they are tiny still, I see it as when a nurse pierce a baby's ear, it is done as newborn and you don't really remember the 'pain'.
How is this logical?

From what I've read about the tattooing, it is much less painful (mostly doesn't involve any pain) and the healing time is short. It's not as bad as ear cropping or tail docking. Not even close. So to be okay with cropping/docking, but not okay with tattooing an animal is contradictory.

But, to each his own. I wouldn't want it to be illegal.
I agree with this.

Ok Just wanted to say I wouldn't do it myself.My brother once did tattooing and had a Staffie Pepples anyway Pepples was always in the room noise didn't bother her so one day he decided to Tattoo my parents phone number on her because that never changed she lied right there and let him so some dogs would let you do something small on them without being knocked out but she was a weird dog.Lol:rofl1:

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Not OK with it at all. For ID purposes, even a little symbol like a brand for horses I'm fine with- but just for sh!ts and giggles? No, pointless, unethical, and unattractive IMO.

Then again, while I'm all for altering, I'm not a huge fan of cropping or docking for cosmetic reasons either.

Flyinsbt

I had ID tattoos put on 2 of my dogs. Those are most typically done with the dogs awake. My drama-queen Staffy boy acted like he was being murdered. I believe it's really not that painful for dogs (I have a tattoo myself, and it was pretty painful, but I'm told that dogs have different skin, and most don't react to it. My dog really was a drama queen.), but it needs to be something reasonably quick. Both my dogs were tattooed with their registration numbers, the lettering was fairly large and very clear, on their inner thigh.

Cats are not typically given ID tattoos, because their skin is too delicate. (at least, so I was told when I worked for a vet). So cosmetic tattoos on them seems particularly unethical.

I don't like the idea of risking anesthesia for something so cosmetic. Particularly since, if the tattoo is of any size, the anesthesia will be long. And no, I'm not much of a fan of cropping and docking either. I'm not saying I'd fight for a ban on them, and I wouldn't fight for a ban on tattooing, either. (and I don't sit around and criticize my friends with cropped dogs for their decisions, either. They know what's involved, and they've made their choice. FWIW, I worked for a vet that did crops, so I well know what's involved, too)

If someone is tattooing for ID, and they want to make it a quick design instead, I have no issue with that. But not these elaborate things. To me- unethical.

I have seen Hounds that are hunted with freeze brands on their necks or sides. They are less likely to be stolen as there is no way of removing the tattoo and it is very visible.

spiffy

I'm all for tattooing my dog if it would be for identification purposes. The little numbers on my pet's belly or ear can save its life. The tattoo is not unlike a microchip that will make it easier to me to get reunited with my pet if it has strayed and gotten lost. But would I allow my dog to be tattooed for aesthetic reason? The answer is a big big NO! :yikes: I would never subject my dog to the pain and discomfort caused by the tattoo needle.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
It's not something I would do to my dog.
and if I was a vet, it's not something I would agree to do.

That said, I am fine with S/N as well as docking/cropping..so it would be hypocritical for me to say this is downright wrong/unethical.

If the dog isn't in pain when it's done.. then I suppose I see nothing ethically wrong with it.
it does wrong me the wrong way but alas, a lot of things do lol doesn't mean they should be illegal
This. Completely. I wouldn't tattoo my dog. But as long as the pet is under anesthesia during the process, I don't consider it cruel or unethical. Frankly, I don't see how permanent colored markings on the skin are somehow terrible while cutting tails or ears is perfectly acceptable.

Ok, I'll confess. Lady Cheshire the cat has a cosmetic tattoo. It was put on while she was under to be spayed.

All of our shelters animals have an ID number tattood in the right ear, just in case. Chesh was somehow overlooked and never assigned a number. I wanted her to be done for ID purposes since she is a purebred and desirable animal, and I just didn't want there to be any questions.

The tech doing the tattooing offered to do two eyes and a smile in her ear instead of a number. It's cute, and she didn't seem to feel any discomfort afterwards.

Would I put an animal under just to do it? No. Is it the worst thing that's happened to Lady Chesh? Nope.

ACooper

As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.
Without reading the entire thread (read the first 3 pages) the above is my feelings all the way around.

Same way I feel about tats on people too, LOL......you want them? go ahead...I won't stop you or look down on you for having them. (my oldest son and daughter both have 2 each) I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, so I won't get any, LOL

Barbara!

Honestly, if I had a Sphinx cat... I'd consider it. Lol. That one tattooed all over looks pretty bad ass.

keef

I have two sphynx cats and wouldn't dream of tattooing them - or any animal for that matter.

Members online

No members online now.