2013 Official Chaz Weight Loss Challenge

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Okay, the dairy was one I was going to suggest.
Can I suggest trying to not eat gluten? I had a blood test years ago for celiac disease and it came back negative, but about a year ago I decided to stop eating wheat... and it just seemed like one day I realized I wasn't sick anymore. I now know if I eat something with wheat, there's a threshold somewhere of how much is okay and how much will make me sick. I don't know what it is, but by and large I just plain avoid wheat.
I actually used to have trouble with dairy, but since axing gluten I am fine with dairy. That said, a lot of people have issues with dairy, so if you already know it causes issues, I'd probably still avoid it.

The processed packaged foods probably aren't doing you any favors, especially as you will start to expect more from your athletic performance, and gluten will be hanging out in a lot of those. If it's a big deal there is a brand of gluten free processed foods, I want to say it's Amy's? You can trying switching to those. Stick it out for maybe a month or so and see if that doesn't help?

I don't think your calorie content is high. It may be a bit low from the athletic perspective even. But I think the first thing is to try and care for the IBS as much as possible.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
6+ kilometers, 17 obstacles, lots of mud and steep as hell hills

Finished it in 1 hour and 10 minutes about 12 minutes after my friend and with a major stitch in my side for half of it.

noludoru

Bored Now.
That would be awesome! How does Middie handle off leash dogs? Around here it's about 50/50 on leash and off leash (no matter what is posted, it's kind of obnoxious). Do you work on Saturdays?
I keep him away from them. :p If it's somewhere with LOTS and LOTS of off-leash dogs I might bring Bay or Cassie and leave Middie at home.

Sundays & Wednesdays I can go hiking. Or very early Thursday and Friday.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Awesome work Mandy! A mud run is on my list.

I did my time two mile run for my challenge today. 15:40. I went out way fast in the first half mile (1:35 first quarter split) before settling in at about a 2 minute per quarter (8 minute mile) pace. Screen shot from my daughter's phone showing the final and splits 3 through 7.

Not too bad for an old man :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Recap: Still not lost weight. Calling doctor tomorrow. Both doctors.

I had a really sharp pain in my knee. Between that and my bad ankle, sometimes working out sucks. I'm hoping losing weight will help with my ankle? I'm too young for joint problems.

Did my usual with the trainer today then came home and walked the dogs 4 miles. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for spin class.I really feel like I need to step up my game. I don't want to do all this work with the personal trainer for no reason.

Also, I think I pinpointed my food allergy. I think I am lactose intolerant. It was confusing me because I can eat a small yogurt or a slice of cheese just fine but the more I read the more that seems normal. A glass of milk or really creamy food or ice cream and I'm very suddenly sick. At least I think it is part of what is going on with my stomach.

SoCrafty

Recap: Still not lost weight. Calling doctor tomorrow. Both doctors.

I had a really sharp pain in my knee. Between that and my bad ankle, sometimes working out sucks. I'm hoping losing weight will help with my ankle? I'm too young for joint problems.

Did my usual with the trainer today then came home and walked the dogs 4 miles. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for spin class.I really feel like I need to step up my game. I don't want to do all this work with the personal trainer for no reason.

Also, I think I pinpointed my food allergy. I think I am lactose intolerant. It was confusing me because I can eat a small yogurt or a slice of cheese just fine but the more I read the more that seems normal. A glass of milk or really creamy food or ice cream and I'm very suddenly sick. At least I think it is part of what is going on with my stomach.
That is exactly how I am. I can have a little bit of cheese, a little bit of light ice cream, but if I have a cheeseburger and then get a milkshake, I'm done lol. I take those Lactaid pills and it seems to help.

I also was gaining weight while working out. I upped my water intake on Monday, and I am down three pounds. Nothing else about my actual diet has changed (I.e am still eating the same things). I am tracking my food intake though, I tried a different program. The first program I used kept you at a strict amount of calories regardless if you worked out. The second one I found keeps you at a strict amount of calories, but if you exercise, it gives you extra calories. I may not have been.eating enough.

I would check on your calorie intake and water consumption.

k9krazee

Husband & I weighed the exact same. We both changed our eating habits (and literally eat the exact same things) and exercise the same.

He lost 9 pounds. I've lost 0. How's that for discouraging?! I guess it's time for me to buckle down.

Is there a user-friendly app (iPhone) for tracking food?

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Husband & I weighed the exact same. We both changed our eating habits (and literally eat the exact same things) and exercise the same.

He lost 9 pounds. I've lost 0. How's that for discouraging?! I guess it's time for me to buckle down.

Is there a user-friendly app (iPhone) for tracking food?
I use sparkpeople.com and their app. Many
People use myfitnesspal.

SoCrafty

I am using Lose It. I am using the Android version, but it is available on iPhone. I have had good success with this one in the past. My BF uses Calorie Counter. A few friends use the Myfitnesspal.

Is Sparkpeople free?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

There was a long argument on a fitness forum I'm on regarding this subject... someone was insisting there's no difference in how men and women lose weight and just about everybody else (men and women both) was in firm disagreement.

The fact is that hormones play a big role in weight loss and muscle gains. Both men and women have both estrogen and testosterone (the big two, though progesterone plays a role as well) and generally women have more estrogen and men more testosterone. A high amount of estrogen in both sexes can make losing weight difficult; a low amount of testosterone can impede weight loss as well.

That and we simply are built differently from a biological standpoint. Have you ever looked at a body fat percentage chart for men and women?

Look at the difference between "essential fat" for men and women. Women are just plain supposed to carry more fat than men. Might seem unfair... but a male friend of mine is now at a lower BFP than I am, but I still APPEAR leaner - because of the way I carry my fat, being a woman. So if you put us next to each other, most people would probably say I am thinner and leaner than he is, although his BFP is actually lower than mine.

It really is just like that weight loss pill commercial. The man and woman do the same thing and the men seems more successful more easily while she struggles, and it's because we're just plain different. It's hard not to find it discouraging, but it's not that you're necessarily doing anything wrong - it's just plain that men and women are biologically different. And weight loss/muscle gain is biology, folks.

SCIENCE.

And absolutely I cannot stress enough the necessity of eating enough calories. I'll repost these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3kfRkqVWU

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I am using Lose It. I am using the Android version, but it is available on iPhone. I have had good success with this one in the past. My BF uses Calorie Counter. A few friends use the Myfitnesspal.

Is Sparkpeople free?
There are premium features but I use the free site. I don't recall if I had to pay for the app.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I'm starving but I feel like I can't eat if I want to lose weight. :( my lunch salad is gone.
Please don't think like that Luarelin! You've GOT to eat. Your "engine" needs fuel to burn. If you don't stoke the fire, it won't burn the fat.

See the videos that Beanie posted above. She knows a whole lot more about it than I do, but from personal experience, I can tell you how much better I feel when I eat properly (i.e. eat enough) versus "starving myself" and trying to work out. If I'm not fueled and I try to work out, I either half-ass the workout or I injure myself (or both).

The other day, I ate pasta and bread for dinner. I stressed and stressed about it. But that's what I wanted and I ate it. The next morning when I went for my run, I felt like a million bucks and trotted right out at a decent pace. I'm not saying that it was all my "carb load" from the night before, but I sure as heck felt energized. YMMV.

Just got back not too long ago from a morning run (being on vacation is great - I can sleep in a little and still run in the morning). 2.8 miles through the woods and such. Good times.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If I'm not fueled and I try to work out, I either half-ass the workout or I injure myself (or both).
100% legit.

You cannot win the Indy 500 on a single tank of gas. You'll end up sitting dead on the track while everybody else blows by.
You HAVE to take a pit stop and fill the tank up again, or you can't even stay in the race - never mind win.
There is a certain amount of gas the car needs to make the 500 laps. You have enough gas in the tank to make 400 laps? You can't get there. There is such a thing as fuel conserving strategy, but odds on that aren't very high. You might finish. You MIGHT win. But you also might end up out of gas hundreds of feet from the finish line, desperately hoping you'll be able to coast over the line (and simultaneously praying nobody hits you and kills you on their own dash to the finish with their fuller tanks.)
Simultaneously you don't want to stop and refuel when it's unnecessary. Coming in every ten laps to pour more gas down the hatch won't win you any races either.

It's a balancing game. Neither all or nothing strategy will win you the race. And sometimes you end up out of gas. Sometimes you pit when you don't need to. But you don't quit racing because you picked the wrong move for that race. That was THAT race. That was THAT day. Today is a new day and a new race. You learn from the last race, you adjust your fuel strategy.

And then you win.

Members online

No members online now.