Why shouldn't people get your breed....?

Toller_08

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever:

Tollers are extremely active dogs that (should, if bred for more than just looks) want to be on the go all of the time, and they do need lots of exercise throughout the day. Walks do virtually nothing for a Toller.

They aren't barky usually, but they do have a wide array of noises and do like to "talk" a lot. Then there's the scream that they use when really excited or anxious - not a pleasant sound.

Tollers love to work and once they start, they don't know when to quit. They'd go on all day if you let them, and many have literally worked themselves to death.

While Tollers are friendly dogs, they can be rather reserved with people they don't know and many think it's rude of strangers to pet them, but they tolerate it. Tollers save their exuberance for close friends and family.

Tollers are highly intelligent dogs, but that doesn't mean they're always easy to train. Many Tollers always want to know "what's in it for me?", "Why should I do this for you?". They don't have the typical retriever "Just tell me what you want and I'll do it just to make you happy" sort of attitude. Some do (like my Dance), but many don't. They also don't do well with repetition - you can't work on one thing forever, or they'll get bored and just quit paying attention to you. They do tend to require lots of patience and imagination while training to prevent them for getting bored. They also, like most dogs, need to be trained in a very upbeat, positive manner. Tollers easily shut down and won't do anything if you're upset and/or harsh with them. They need kind (but firm) handling.

Tollers are a pretty quirky breed and need tons of socialization, more so than many other breeds.

----

There is more, but those are what I find turn most people off of the breed quickly.

Boston Terriers:

-they snort
-they fart
-they snore (some more than others)
-some can be DA
-they can have eye and breathing problems
-they have freakishy pitiful faces when they're getting disciplined
-they usually have two moods: lazy or go...Go....GOOOO!
-they are little snugglers that love to sleep with you

But they are such loving little goof balls that once you have one in your life you can't imagine life without them. I've never had a dog that looked at me with as much adoration as Joey. :)

OhMyDog

Alpha Sheltie
Shelties
You better enjoy grooming if you want to live with a Sheltie. They're also known for being great conversationalists. Other than that though, they're great dogs.

Malinois/Belgians
It depends on where the dog comes from (working or strictly show lines) but my working line Mal drives me CRAZY. She's extremely smart but gets bored VERY easily. She's incredibly drivey which could make agility training a little bit harder on us. I swear, she never sleeps. She's always on the go. We could go for a long hike or a 5km+ run and she'd still be jumping off the walls. Also, because she's always moving, she gets hurt without realizing it and keeps going. Once she jumped over a smaller fence and caught a piece of skin along the fence.. course, she didn't care, she just wanted to keep running. :rolleyes: She's also very vocal and cautious when it comes to strangers. And pretty much 24/7, she is thinking "Hiiiii ball! BALL! Ballballballballballball. BALLLLLLLLLL. HIHIHIBALL! THROWIT! BALLLLLhihihi!!"

I still love her breed for some reason though. :p

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Cattledogs are high maintenance.
Never do I recommend an ACD unless you really know the breed. They require work and I mean they need to have something to do even if it is an hour or two of hard play or they can and do drive you nuts. They need escape proof yards they can jump higher then most dogs and if they can not jump a fence they will find another way out. They are heavy shedders twice a year. They always have a plan. They are one of the best and smartest dogs you will ever own but before you own one you have to fully know what you are getting into and sadly many don't and that is why I get theirs.

Xerxes

Mr Poopy
Xeres thanks for clearing that up! I met these two phaoh dogs at the dog park and evertime they come I would go up to them and they would walk away like I was invisible or not pay attention to me at all if I petted them. They sure do know how to make you feel crumpy! I was commenting on how beautiful and sleek and how lovely their eyes were and I felt ignored by them! Only dog that made me feel that way! They belittled me! The way they carry themselves its like they're royality! I think they get carry away with the name ''pharaoh'' they start to think they really are one........maybe pharaohs become pharaoh dogs in the ''afterlife''!

Pharaohs do tend to act very haughty or proud. The reason they don't react to you, is that you-the human- are supposed to react to them. That's the way they view life. Now if you had food, or something that they wanted, they would befriend you in a heartbeat...or faster.

And the very best greeting you can get from a Pharaoh Hound: They run up to you, jump up and bounce off of you with their front paws. Then they walk away with their nose up.

jjsmom

"Poopsie"
Greyhounds are great dogs for most people but they should never be owned by anyone who does not want a dog that has to be leashed at all times, unless in a completely enclosed setting. They can never truly be trusted off lead.

Potential owners should also know that they are not good for outdoors. Due to their small amount of body fat they cannot handle temperature changes well so they are indoor only dogs.

Additionally they are not use to being alone. Even the 5 year old retired racing greyhound has NEVER been alone probably a day in its life. They are use to being around their own breed and around humans at all times. While some DO have SA, most can acclimate well over time. But this is something to consider and why many folks get more than 1 (although that is partly due to them being addicting!:D ).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Aussie Cons:

-SHEDDING. Worse twice a year, but usually shedding a little bit throughout the year. The show lines are more prone to heavy matts and tangles, so daily brushing is a must for most Aussies.

-Very high energy and will entertain themselves if left to their own devices. Walks don't do much unless there is a game involved in it that makes them think. They need a job of some sort, whether it's helping out around the house, agility, herding, supervising, etc. They don't take kindly to just sitting around.

-Very smart! They can and do outthink their people on a regular basis, but they have such a great smile you can't stay mad for long. And if you try, oh do they get creative in their efforts to cheer you up! Great for training, but these are not lazy dogs.

-Seperation anxiety. Incredibly velcro, it takes lots of patience to get them used to be left alone. Their smartness comes into play here as well, as they will think up very interesting ways to either try to get to you or to give you a Picasso-esque mess when you get home.

-Barky barky barky!! I'm STILL working with mine on "quiet"...not obessive barkers like shelties, but movement will set them off instantly. They like to control bark, especially if they are not allowed to go herd/chase whatever is moving.

-Herding breed. They herd. This usually means nipping and jumping. Can be trained not to or compromises can be reached, but always bear in mind that your cats/children/squirrels are going to be constantly harrassed by the diligent Aussie who is going a little too OCD about grouping.

-Socialization: They have a natural wariness of new people and situations and can become very skittish and neurotic if not properly socialized, which can lead to big issues later down the road. The natural wariness also means that they are most likely not going to jump up and love everyone that they meet, which can be a turn off to some people.

Pros: They are the most loyal, loving and clownish sort of dog who loves to please you and make you laugh, even if it's in exasperation. I will never be without an Aussie!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
With shelties, it's the grooming... that's about it.
A well-bred sheltie won't bark that much. My sister's were barkers (UGH), but Auggie will bark a few times and then knock it off.
The herding instinct is kind of annoying though. Seriously... biting my kneecaps is ow. x_x

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Blackmouth cur---They're hounds. If they catch a scent or see a small animal, they're off like a rocket. Don't let these guys off-leash.

They have a definate hound smell. Zeus smells more "doggy" than any other dog I've owned.

Shedding. They have a very short, close coat, but they shed like you wouldn't believe. And since the coat is so short, it doesn't pick up well with vaccuum cleaner brushes.

Catahoula----Oy. Hmm, where to start? They're extremely smart and get bored easily, meaning they get into EVERYTHING. And if you put something out of reach, they'll just figure out another way to get to it.

They're active. Voodoo is actually quite mellow now that he's older, but he was an absolute nightmare as a puppy. He didn't have an "off" switch.

They have a very impish sense of humor. I can't describe it any other way. Voodoo has managed to goose me in the shower, scatter my dust piles as I'm trying to get the dustpan, and tug on my armload of laundry *just* enough to unbalance me and send clothes flying.

Aggression. I'm NOT saying that they're dangerous dogs. But they seem to be "harder" dogs than most other herding breeds. Dog aggression is a big worry. It can be eased with training and socialization, but I wouldn't trust these dogs in a dog park or play group situation. And from what I've read, they can also be human aggressive if not socialized enough.

Physical capabilities. They're not built like heavy mastiffs or bullies, but they're solid, athletic dogs. Many times they're mistaken for pitties. Voodoo has managed to cannonball through a wooden trellis and a glass window without blinking an eye, and can leap to a height of 6 feet from a dead standstill---repeatedly (he does it every day at dinnertime!). Just keeping these dogs contained is a challenge in itself, and training is an absolute must if you don't want to be dragged all over the place during a walk.

They don't respond well to bullying or strongly physical training methods. They're very eager to please you, but don't try to overpower them. Aside from being strong, they seem to have a pretty high pain tolerance. I once tried to physically maneuver Voodoo in a down, and I couldn't do it. He locked every muscle in his body and wouldn't give an inch. But when I stopped and asked him nicely, but firmly, he did it.

Rosefern

Shelties
-Sensitive. They're very aware of the tone of your voice, and they are very "soft" dogs.
-Aren't overly friendly with stranger - aloof.
-Talkers. They talk - they bark, howl, woof, and just about any other noise you can think of.
-They herd. People, children, dogs, cats, cars, you name it, it moves, they chase it.
-Not reliable off-leash. Granted, Pepe is reliable. But he's the exception.

Golden Retriever
-Intelligent. Too intelligent for some people.
-Active. Some people forget that this breed was bred to HUNT. They have incredible stamina and they need exercise. They aren't couch potatoes.
-Velcro-dog. They get very attached to their people, and they need people around alot to be truely happy.

-Rosefern

milos_mommy

Why not to get a jrt?

they need socialization. lots of it.
they need training. lots of it.
they need attention. LOTS OF IT.
they need exercise. LOTS OF IT. both mentally and physically.
they're smart. Smart enough to push a chair over to get to the chicken on your chicken table. Smart enough to open doors. and cabinets.
they're determined little sh!ts. You put something they want on a shelf and they'll figure out how to get it, or stand there staring until you find something better.
they like attention. lots of it.
They bark. A lot.
They're terriers. They chase anything they might consider varmin. This does include yorkies and hamsters. And rabbits. And chinchillas. And guinea pigs. And birds.
They like attention. A lot of it.

a JRT is only a dog for someone who is willing to pretty much dedicate their entire days to training. It's not like getting a golden puppy or an adult dog. You can't pick everything small and chewable off the floor and housebreak them and leave them. You can't take them for a walk in the morning and expect them to sleep until the kids get home from school. You can't expect a JRT to let a kid pull it's ears and tail and go home in one piece. They're not a dog for someone who just wants a family pet. They're a dog for someone who wants to spend time and money and energy and thought on their dog. Someone who is going to do something stimulating with a dog. If you do agility, if you do canine freestyle or rally or GTG or dock jumping or simply train lots of tricks, then great. If you want to teach your kids responsibility or have a jogging partner, nope.

Dekka

Just try me..
LOL JRTs aren't as bad as all that. Mine don't bark, unless someone is driving in. Maybe well bred, well adjusted JRTs don't bark much. They need as much exercise as labs, border collies and many other working breeds. I have rehabbed a few (about 7) JRTs that were due to be PTS and I never spend more than 20 min a day training any of them. For obed comps I train 5 min 5 times a week, for agility 20 min 3 times a week, max, unless I am in a class. I do think you need dog savvy owners, who have a good understanding of dog behaviour.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Aussie Cons:

-SHEDDING. Worse twice a year, but usually shedding a little bit throughout the year. The show lines are more prone to heavy matts and tangles, so daily brushing is a must for most Aussies.

-Very high energy and will entertain themselves if left to their own devices. Walks don't do much unless there is a game involved in it that makes them think. They need a job of some sort, whether it's helping out around the house, agility, herding, supervising, etc. They don't take kindly to just sitting around.

-Very smart! They can and do outthink their people on a regular basis, but they have such a great smile you can't stay mad for long. And if you try, oh do they get creative in their efforts to cheer you up! Great for training, but these are not lazy dogs.

-Seperation anxiety. Incredibly velcro, it takes lots of patience to get them used to be left alone. Their smartness comes into play here as well, as they will think up very interesting ways to either try to get to you or to give you a Picasso-esque mess when you get home.

-Barky barky barky!! I'm STILL working with mine on "quiet"...not obessive barkers like shelties, but movement will set them off instantly. They like to control bark, especially if they are not allowed to go herd/chase whatever is moving.

-Herding breed. They herd. This usually means nipping and jumping. Can be trained not to or compromises can be reached, but always bear in mind that your cats/children/squirrels are going to be constantly harrassed by the diligent Aussie who is going a little too OCD about grouping.

-Socialization: They have a natural wariness of new people and situations and can become very skittish and neurotic if not properly socialized, which can lead to big issues later down the road. The natural wariness also means that they are most likely not going to jump up and love everyone that they meet, which can be a turn off to some people.

Pros: They are the most loyal, loving and clownish sort of dog who loves to please you and make you laugh, even if it's in exasperation. I will never be without an Aussie!
Well the sums up the ACD too lol well said Zoom

RD

Are you dead yet?
Border collies:

They want to work. Those people who say they need a job? They aren't lying. They NEED a job. But anything can be a job to a BC -- whether it be fetching the newspaper or shredding your sofa. In their younger years they require hyper-vigilance on the part of the owner to keep them out of trouble.

They're not quiet dogs. They don't bark a lot, but they're always on the move and if you have more than one of them, prepare for a daily Smackdown in your living room, bathroom and in bed (on your face) at 3am. These wrestling matches don't wait for the commercial breaks while you're watching TV. Fur flies. It's immensely entertaining.... if you don't live with it.

They have an aversion to anything new - this can be people, environments, sounds, foods... whatever. Without good socialization, Border Collies can be hesitant to accept new things.

These dogs are problem-solvers, and they figure out our minds quicker than we figure out theirs. They will manipulate the weak and naive until they get what they want.

They're sensitive to primate body language. An over-the-top, heavy-handed owner is probably going to confuse a Border Collie. They're very conscious of space and subtle clues like eyebrow movements or pursed lips. It's easy to push one of these dogs away if you display the wrong signals. I think a solid understanding of dog body language is essential with a border collie.

Some are prone to noise sensitivity, and the same brilliant mind that figures out training commands and forms associations in a snap can draw the wrong conclusion from one frightening experience -- leaving them crippled in their acceptance of certain things.

They tend to be defensive of their space, their people and their posessions.

BostonBanker

It's hard for me to say, since Meg is the only Mountain Cur I've spent much time with. They are a hunting breed, so in general, I would expect a bit more prey drive and a bit less reliability off-leash. But honestly - if they are all like Meg, I'd say every family should own one!

ACooper

Reasons not to have a Dobe, based on MY opinion and MY experiences.....

clingy (orson must be touching you a large percentage of the time, and my last boy was the same)

high energy

has a fairly short life expectancy

sheds little hairs everywhere anytime of the year

prejudices from people

high chance of male/male aggression

Other than the short life, these things aren't a bother to me personally.......it's all about what YOU want/expect in a dog.

heartdogs

Australian Shepherd.
What endears these dogs to Aussie lovers sometimes makes "regular" humans want to rip their hair out. They are problem solvers, and workaholics. They will herd bottles, kids, other dogs, and the mailman in addition to livestock, if not trained properly. Aussies have strong herding and guarding tendencies, and they may not be everyone's friend. If they think someone doesn't belong on your property, they are likely to keep them off it.

Here are the Aussie Dog Property Laws:
  • If I like it, it's mine
  • If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
  • If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  • If I can take it from you, it's mine.
  • If it's mine, it must never be yours.
  • If it just looks like mine, it's mine.
  • If I saw it first, it's mine.
  • If you are playing with something else and put it down, it's mine.
  • If I am chewing something up, all of the pieces are mine.
  • If it used to be yours, get over it.
  • If it's broken, it's yours.

Aussies have favorite things, can be a tad obsessive - my girl will dive into her toy bin and pick out the green Flippy Flopper frisbee (her absolute fave toy) even if she has to search through three or four others to get it! I even washed it one day, and she still picked it out.
There's no such thing as not having time to exercise your Aussie. These dogs will write their own job descriptions if they get bored, and you may not like the results.
If you don't like being followed, don't get one. They aren't velcro dogs in the sense that they want to be on you, but they always want to have you in their sights, and don't expect to get up and slip into the other room without them hearing you LOL. They will snooze in hall between rooms so you can't leave without going by them. ;)

To add to the first Greyhound post:
*Many are rather lazy dogs, so if you're looking for high energy you're usually looking in the wrong place.

*They have horrible teeth so be prepared for stinky breath and expensive dentals.

Alapahas:
*High drive dogs
*A sloooooooooooooow thinking bulldog brain in a fast paced body . . . it spells trouble.
*The guardian instinct can be a bit much

Xerxes

Mr Poopy
Wow, such great responses! I think this is the best way to learn about each others dogs...

Members online

No members online now.