Puppy with parvo at my building

deeppowder

Well I live in a 26 unit apartment building with probably 25 dogs. I have a 51/2 month old female. A new pup in the building(10 week old ) was just diagnosed with parvo. My pooch was vacinated at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 15weeks 20 weeks and I just got another booster today. Its tough because there is soo many dogs in a small area. Shes been on a leesh the whole time the pup had been in my building(she just got spayed). Do I have anything to worry about? I plan on taking her away for walks and one of the ladies in the building is putting bleach in the area were the puppy peed.
Thanks for any info or advice
Deeppowder

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Yes, there is something to worry about. Parvo is VERY serious.

Keep your pup away from any known area where the disagnosed pup defecated and keep a close eye on your pup!

You may wish to call your vet and see what they say, if you did not speak with them when you got your pup's booster.

deeppowder

The reason for the extra booster was because of the incedent
She already had her full round of vacinations already
Deeppowder

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I personally wouldn't take the chance of walking her near the building. I would carry her from your apartment to another building when you go outside.

bubbatd

Agree with the above posts ... it's better to be safe than sorry.

why all the parvo all of a sudden !!! Today it should be gone here like rabies !!

showpug

Parvo Virus can live in the soil where the infected dog defecated for up to one year. This means that if your dog eats debris off the same area then she is at risk.

Vaccines don't conver every strain of parvo. In fact, many brands only protect against old strains of the disease, making the vaccine not very effective.

Use your better judgement and try to avoid areas where the parvo pup defecated if you can and don't let your dog chew sticks or other debris on the ground.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Everyone's advice has been great. Carry your pup everywhere until you are off the property this dog is on or back in your own apartment. Why the heck isn't the sick puppy at a vet? Jeez.

Members online