• Yes, and I see nothing wrong with it

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't do it to my own kids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I see nothing wrong with it

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • No, and I wouldn't do it to my own kids

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Depends (on grade level, ability, etc)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Pumpkin beer (I need one)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I did maybe once in my life but in Nov we are going on a 5 day cruise. Myself (in college) My sister (senior in high school) and my god-daughter (kindergarten) will all be missing 3 days of school.

Maxy24

Once that I can remember. Though I'm sure there were days here and there that I missed because we skipped Friday to leave for the weekend or something.

But the week I remember was going to Ireland, and I don't remember it being a problem. I was 9, so 3rd or 4th grade. I don't remember falling behind or anything. The only reason I know it was during school is because they told me I had to make a daily journal of what I did there as an assignment (and I still have that).

I think it would be a lot harder in high school.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yes I definitely missed school for vacation, however my parents usually gave my teacher a heads up a couple weeks in advance.

I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't plan the family's entire lives around the kid's school schedule. However now, kids (in this state) go to JAIL for truancy. My boyfriend had immense health problems going through jr. high/high school and he was on HOUSE ARREST because he was too ill to go through a full school day. I'm sorry but that just infuriates me, sick kids or kids with issues being treated like criminals. /endrant about how ohio is dumb.

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
No & I would never schedule a vacation during school with my kids. I think it gives the child the impression that school is not the most important thing.. which they should be.

Miakoda

Well, seeing as how I've done it with Cole, I do believe there are exceptions. :)

We scheduled a Disney World vacation trip during January/February 2012 because a) it was the ONLY time my hubby could go due to his vacation time and b) because it was inexpensive due to them offering the free dining plan (which saved the 8 of us a couple thousand bucks!).

The trip was planned before Cole even started Kindergarten, and his principal, vice principal, teacher, and entire IEP team were notified at the beginning of the school year. I also reminded them after returning from Christmas break.

Now, I didn't expect the teacher to go out of her way to do anything for Cole (provide us with work, etc.), but I do feel it's best to work with your child's teacher for the wellbeing of the child.

Seeing as how Cole was in kindergarten, he didn't miss anything (other than 6 unexcused days of school - of which they are allowed 13 for th entire school year - and he never had another single unexcused absence that year). However, going to DW was soooo educational in ways I cannot even begin to explain. First, imagine trying to prepare a special needs child, especially one who has many autistic tendencies and similarities (he's not autistic, but has issues comparable to sensory processing disorder, gets overstimulated, gets anxious, etc.). Going into such an environment was actually soooo good for Cole. Yes, I took great care to plan things out to the best of my ability, and yes, he got overstimulated at times, but he matured so much just on that simple trip. He also had a blast learning about the animals at the AK. In fact, we threw in many "educational" scenarios while there. He counted, he answered questions, he asked questions......there's so much you can do outside of a textbook. ;)

This year, Cole is in 1st grade. Last weekend, we spent a 3-day weekend (F,S,Su) in Texas at my grandmother's. Yes, I held Cole out of school on Friday. Instead of school on Friday, we all went to the East Texas Oil Museum in Kilgore, TX (I've been there many times as a child). He learned all about pumpjacks, as well as other methods of getting oil, he learned what oil is, he learned how we use oil....he learned A LOT. He ended up getting sick and being home this past Thursday and Friday, but he spent Monday thru Wednesday "educating" his teachers on oil and pumpjacks. They thought it was hilarious, and they all loved it. He brought a book on pumpjacks for show-and-tell, and brought coloring books for the kids in his class.

As an "A" student in my life (I graduated highschool withh a 3.98, which included every honors class available in the curriculum...and I went to a college prep private school - I graduated college with my BS and 2 minors with a 3.78), I wholeheartedly understand the need and importance for a complete, quality education. But I also believe, when you look back on your life, you'll remember that Friday you spent at the Oil Museum with your great grandmother rather than what you might've done at school that day. There comes a day when education can, and possibly should, be done outside the classroom, and there comes a time when family memories hold more importance than what pages in a workbook were to be done that day. JMO

CaliTerp07

I definitely think there is a difference in lower elementary school (where this is 1 teacher, the standards are attainable outside of school, the parents are able to help their kids catch up, social skills are a major component of school, etc) than middle or high school where you have 7+ teachers, coursework that can't be replaced by a trip to the zoo or a museum, and parents who often don't know how to do the material themselves.

Or maybe I'm biased because I've never taught lower elementary kids (the youngest was 6th grade, and even that was middle school).

Miakoda

Cali, no, you definitely have a point.

But I know there were times when I was held out for a 3-day weekend, whether it was to visit my grandparents (who first lived in Kermit, TX before moving to White Oak, TX) or to leave for a soccer tournament. I hated to miss school because it seemed my teachers gave me extra "I'm pissed off with you" work to do for that day, but I always did it. Then again, I was always studious. I enjoyed school (heck, all my friends were there :p ), and learning was easy for me (not to mention I was a perfectionist and held myself to the highest standard).

If my boys are all failing behind in school, or are troublemakers, then no, I wouldn't hold them out to go on a vacation. But if they are doing well, and if the only time we can schedule such vacation is during the school year (hubby works at a plant...you can't just call in sick), then we'll go.

My mom started teaching Adapted Physical Education (special ed.) when I was in 7th grade. From that point on, I would miss a day of school here and there to go with her to her schools and help out. I ALWAYS worked the various Special Olympics, as long as I wasn't missing a test or something. Looking back, going with my mom and helping her, and getting to know those students (1 of whom we were both invited to his wedding! and another who still calls me out of the blue, talks my ear off for 45 seconds, then hangs up :D ), was sooooo much more valuable than the lecturing I would've received at school that day.

Education is so very important. I'll never say or believe otherwise. But there's also life lessons that are just as important.

I can't even begin to describe the smile on my face and the feeling inside when I start thinking about the days I helped out in those special ed. classes or the days spent working the Special Olympics. I cannot begin to describe what I've learned about myself and about life from my mom's students. I've been blessed to attend one's wedding, and I get a chuckle each time Emerson calls me. I was blessed to witness a true savant in action (this boy couldn't color in the lines of a coloring book, but he could draw every single state on the chalkboard AND draw the outlines of every single county/parish in each state...it was nothing short of jaw dropping). I've also been to 3 funerals, of which I still feel nothing short of blessed to have gotten to know those children in their lifetime. I'm sorry, but nothing could've happened in Algebra in a few days that would have affected my future education, nor my life, in a similar way. But....that's ME. That's not someone else...someone who was failing, didn't care about school, had a horrible home life with no support, etc.

CaliTerp07

But....that's ME. That's not someone else...someone who was failing, didn't care about school, had a horrible home life with no support, etc.
It's also a day here, a day there...which is no different than catching a cold and staying home. I don't get stressed until the kids miss a week straight, because that's the point where they never really recover. :(

mjb

I was never allowed to miss school unless sick.

As a parent, I occasionally took them to school a little late on Monday or picked them up early on Friday to go visit grandparents. We did not live around any relatives, and we tried very hard to keep them in touch with all the grandparents.

When my children were in high school, their school extracurricular activities kept them out of school. Last year, my child's high school band had him out of school a lot, possibly too much. He missed a week when they went to Chicago. He had a couple of overnight trips that had him miss 2 days at a time, and he got pulled out of various classes to go perform somewhere in the city during the school day. All that work had to be made up. That was quite difficult. He's in high school, and it's not as 'acceptable' for the parent to call and get all the assighments he will miss. He is not always completely responsible about it, so it was like pulling teeth to stay on him till he had it all completed.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My brother and I did, once. We were in elementary school (probably first and third grade) and my family and my grandparents were taking a road trip (in campers) down to Disney World. I remember we skipped school, because we had to do homework on the way down and back. LOL

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I eventually had to drop out and start homeschooling because I was missing too much school for dog shows. Shrug, I turned out fine. Got my GED and was working at my chosen career before I even started college.

If I was contagious or in the hospital I got to stay home. I had honor role until I was a junior in high school...LOL I think the most I ever missed was 1 to 2 days.

Until I got my drivers license.............

Then Senior year was a WHOLE different story....as well as college..LOL

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
This is probably an unpopular opinion... but my parents unschooled me. Unschooling, for those who don't know, is all about learning through environment. No curriculum, just learning about what interests the child. Like I said, I passed my GED with flying colors, even though I hadn't studied for it, had no idea what would be on it and hadn't been to a real school for 5 years prior to taking it. Yeah, its not the hardest test ever, but you get my point. I am a graphics designer, and I am currently in college to get my Bachelors in Graphics Design. I was working as an amateur Graphics Designer for 3 years before I started college, and up until now I have been entirely self taught. I learn because I love it, not because I was forced. I learned what mattered to me, not what some board of education determined that I should know. I left school in the middle of 7th grade, and I already have a career at 19 years old.

So... yeah. Vacations can bring just as much education as a classroom, if a child loves learning. If they don't, what is taught in a classroom won't stick with them anyways.

*braces self for major arguments*

darkchild16

We are Home.
thats ok we keep throwing back and forth the idea of homeschooling Bev next year. We have a really good community for it where we are moving. Lots of childrens museums and history around and just a overall rich learning environment that heavily supports homeschooling. At the same time Morgan will have a ton of things on his schedule as far as therapy goes and Im thinking it might be best for her to be in school instead of being dragged there.

Lyzelle

I homeschooled myself, mostly, ended up being able to graduate highscool at 16, which obviously put me in the position to finish 3 Associate Degrees before 18. One way or another, I do believe education is important. Homeschool, public, unschool, somewhere inbetween, whatever.

But if you chose public school, then take your kid out for 3 weeks at a time for play time, then complain about bad grades or the kid falling behind and blame the teacher for all of it while also making her put in MORE hours than is actually necessary for her job...you sorta deserve a good swack on the head.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I homeschooled myself, mostly, ended up being able to graduate highscool at 16, which obviously put me in the position to finish 3 Associate Degrees before 18. One way or another, I do believe education is important. Homeschool, public, unschool, somewhere inbetween, whatever.

But if you chose public school, then take your kid out for 3 weeks at a time for play time, then complain about bad grades or the kid falling behind and blame the teacher for all of it while also making her put in MORE hours than is actually necessary for her job...you sorta deserve a good swack on the head.
I totally agree.

Members online