Tell me "No".

Barbara!

So there is a rescue around here that I am close with...And they recently found 8 puppies. They're 3 weeks and LOOK like Belgian Malinois...but I'm no expert. They're such cute, little wriggly things.

But tell me no. Tell me I can't handle this breed of dog. I really need you guys to talk me out of it...LOL. I'm also hoping that may not be their breed...but well, here are some pics of one.

Also looks younger than 3 weeks to me, but that's what the rescue said.

TahlzK

Can you afford another dog?

Can you give the exercise and mental stimulation to this breed of dog? (if it is a Mal)

If the answer is yes, are you sure you thinking for real?

Those are the biggest questions you need to ask yourself.

Barbara!

Am I wrong on the breed guess? I mean, I know it's hard to tell...but it REALLY looks like a Mal to me!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
My dogs have broken my front windshield in the car going into a guard and my female has broken through our grandmothers glass sliding door going after a ball. They don't like strangers unless introduced properly and make it known with noise. They aren't great with strange dogs. They've made me bleed more times than not, it's basically not training unless I walk away with some kind of wound. They're demanding and they don't settle easily.

What about their irrational guarding, impulsivity, lack of bite inhibition, overt noisiness, ridiculous energy, and so forth attracts you?

I guess the real question is, if those are mals, why would you want a belgian malinois?

(Did that help? :) )

Barbara!

Tahlz, I can afford another dog. I can give the exercise needed... I just don't know if I SHOULD, if that makes sense.

And I love their attitude. I've met a few and I'm highly attracted to such intense dogs. I mean, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are also notoriously difficult dogs...and I love mine.

I like the idea of something so guardy, so serious...just intense. It's hard to explain really. Most of the breeds I have gotten have just fallen onto my lap.

My big question to myself is SHOULD I. I know most of us here can afford another dog, but the reason we don't get one is because there's a certain point where the responsible thing is to just wait. But, I don't know. I suppose this seems more appealing since the opportunity to get the puppy is here, staring me in the face.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I definitely agree:
Looks like a lot of standard shepherd mixes, to me. Impossible to tell at that age
However, if you're attracted to the novelty I would think long and hard, if you haven't already. I would foster first, they're cool definitely but they can become less cool at times.

They're actually very easy dogs when it comes to training but they're difficult to live with in some situations.

Foster, be sure the breed suits you, and go from there, IMO. Also I would either buy well bred or adopt an established dog, at least until I had my bearings.

Do you have any plans to work/sport with the dog?

Barbara!

Possibly. I would already be doing recreational sports with my dogs if we weren't so far out from things. I'm going to see if I can foster the puppies... But I do feel it's best to wait. I already have a 7 month old puppy and it's really not the most responsible thing to get a new one right now.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I can only speak for myself... But I'd NEVER get a puppy when I had a 7 month old. My rule is no new dogs until my current dogs are fully trained. And then I wait about 5 years on top of that ;) I just don't feel it's fair to either dog, and a puppy will quickly pick up any bad habits or issues that other dogs in their family have. Aren't you dealing with reactivity issues with your RR? Imagine dealing with that on top of a brand new, insanely high drive puppy.

They could be Mals, but it's much more likely that they're Sheppy mixes.

momto8

I can only speak for myself... But I'd NEVER get a puppy when I had a 7 month old. My rule is no new dogs until my current dogs are fully trained. And then I wait about 5 years on top of that ;) I just don't feel it's fair to either dog, and a puppy will quickly pick up any bad habits or issues that other dogs in their family have. Aren't you dealing with reactivity issues with your RR? Imagine dealing with that on top of a brand new, insanely high drive puppy.

They could be Mals, but it's much more likely that they're Sheppy mixes.
The bolded I agree with, from some of your other posts, you seem to have a pretty busy schedule and dealing with reactivity issue's with your RR, so maybe its just best to wait till those are getting a little better :)

As far as adding a puppy with another dog that young..I can't say much LOL! Gunner was around 7 mnths when we added 6 mnth old Sierra :) And Lilly was around 6 mnths when we added 10 week old Roxy, however, we didn't have any kind of issue's going on and I am home 24/7 with my dogs.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
A lot of breeds and mixes are fawn with a black mask. While Malinois are getting more and more popular, chances of a found orphan litter being Malinois are pretty unlikely.

Aleron

A lot of breeds and mixes are fawn with a black mask. While Malinois are getting more and more popular, chances of a found orphan litter being Malinois are pretty unlikely.
I agree with this. These look like really young pups. It appears their eyes aren't even open yet, which would put them more at between 1-2 weeks. It is nearly impossible to even begin to guess breed on such young puppies, other than color, sometimes coat (like curly coated dogs have wavy coats when they are young) and physical oddities like brachy breeds puppies at that age all look relatively similar. So really, I won't say one thing or another about the pros and cons of Mals. There is a huge range of temperament in the breed, you can get one that's pretty easy as far as high drive, quirky dogs go or you could get an extreme one who's fairly difficult but that is neither here nor there as chances are pretty good that these are NOT Mals.

If you're really interested in a rescue Mal, ABMC always has plenty of every age range.

Members online

No members online now.