Family pooch suggestions

prock

Hi there,

I'm looking to finally get a family dog and would really appreciate some suggestions regarding what breed I should be looking for.

I've got two small active kids (2 and 5 years old). I work 8 hours/day my wife works 5 hours/day. We have a fenced back yard and live near Toronto - cold winter and the odd hot/humid streak during the summer.

Some of my priorities:
  • Good with kids
  • Quiet-ish ("hello" when someone's at the door is ok)
  • Not too much grooming
  • Plays fetch with a frisbee and tennis ball
  • Good with mixed outdoor/indoor environment
  • Trainable but not smarter than me
  • Can let off the leash safely
  • Not going to kill the neighbor's cat
  • Not going to bark all day at the neighbor's cat
  • Prefer fur that is soft, short(er), and consistent length
  • Ok with snow (Canadian winters)
  • Ok with sleeping by itself (indoors)
  • Low odor
  • Prefer consistent fur color
  • Don't want to have my clothes covered in fur after getting off the couch
  • Will go for a jog with me

I don't want to spend a fortune and have no qualms with a cross-breed.

My thoughts on a couple I've looked at so far:
whippet: want to be able to let it off the leash without worrying about it running away
beagle: don't want to hear barking all day
puggle: would like some more energy to chase a ball and go for a run

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
-Peter :)

IcyHound

Standard poodles are large dogs. Keep the coat clipped and they are not foofoo. Ignoring a poodle because of you 'masculine' is rather silly. A dog is an important part of the home environment. Standard poodles are amazingly intelligent and capable dogs.

You have a long and complex list of needs. There are few breeds that can be molded into all of that. Plus, you have to accept that a lot of what you want comes from training and time as well as the personality of the individual dog. There is not a breed that can be let off leash, there is not a breed that does not bark at cats, there is not a breed that will always play fetch of Frisbee. You nurture behaviors or train behaviors to create what you want and create consistency. You need a flexable dog that is easy to train but your hair requirement cuts you down a lot.

The only other thing off the top of my head is a Portuguese water dog and they probably are not perfect.

prock

Standard poodles are large dogs. Keep the coat clipped and they are not foofoo. Ignoring a poodle because of you 'masculine' is rather silly. A dog is an important part of the home environment. Standard poodles are amazingly intelligent and capable dogs.
Thanks I'll take another look at them.

You have a long and complex list of needs. There are few breeds that can be molded into all of that. Plus, you have to accept that a lot of what you want comes from training and time as well as the personality of the individual dog. There is not a breed that can be let off leash, there is not a breed that does not bark at cats, there is not a breed that will always play fetch of Frisbee. You nurture behaviors or train behaviors to create what you want and create consistency. You need a flexable dog that is easy to train but your hair requirement cuts you down a lot.
Thanks for all the feedback and input. My list is not meant to be inflexible I am just trying to give as much information as possible on what my ideal would be.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Honestly, you might check out some older (3-5 years old) Labs in your area. If you keep up on regular brushing/bathing and feed a good diet, the hair is pretty manageable. The older dogs will still be able to keep up with you and your kids, but won't be so nuts as to knock them over. Look for a good Lab Rescue in your area, they can help match you up with the perfect dog.

Otherwise, I would just start checking out the shelters and rescues in your area for something that catches your eye and fits your requirements. Again, I would stick with a slightly older dog.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I was going to suggest an older lab or lab mix. Be aware though that they shed pretty badly. Keep up with the brushing for sure. Ours was a great dog for an active family.

prock

Thanks for the suggestions about the older labs. Will look into that too.

I'm not worried about the kids getting knocked over. It builds character. ;)

MicksMom

I was going to suggest an older lab or lab mix. Be aware though that they shed pretty badly. Keep up with the brushing for sure. Ours was a great dog for an active family.
I was thinking Lab, too, except for the shedding part. But regular brushing will definitely cut down on the amount of hair flying around. As for sticking to clothes, I just buy clothes in colors that won't show the hair as much.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I'll second the standard poodle. I grew up with them, out in the country, and they are tough, smart, hardy dogs who can give any of the "tough guy" breeds a run for their money. There are even poodles that are trained attack dogs (not that I suggest that). Poodles are retreivers, like labs and goldens . . . the froo-froo part came in later, because their coat can be groomed in interesting ways and because their incredible intelligence and playfulness made them phenonmenal companion dogs. But you can keep them in a clip that just makes them look like a shaggy dog, and the froo goes away.

Maxy24

How much exercise will you give the dog
how old would you like the dog to be (how old is too old, how young is too young)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
anyone that thinks a poodle is frou frou has never seen one work...amazing dogs and on my list of possibles...but im not afraid of "funny looking dogs" lol!

an older lab or golden might work but as other said, thinks like leaving the cat alone, while can be helped by getting a breed with a lower prey drive are still going to be largely dictated by training and socilization.

Maxy24

Some dogs in your area, they are not all perfect so I'll say what their "faults" for you might be. Some things to remember: most dogs will shed unless you want a poodle or many of the smaller dog breeds. Dogs who are good in the winter generally have some coat which increases shedding. Whether a dog can be allowed off leash depends on training and personality, I'll try to avoid breeds who are likely to leave but no dog should be off leash without training. Odor is some what individual but mostly it has to do with diet. A dog on purina, pedigree or science diet will probably smell, dogs on good foods usually smell less. I do not have all the info on these dogs, you'd hae to ask the shelter about them:
Golden Boy: Adopt a German Shepherd Dog: 'Golden Boy': Petfinder
-Not a lot of info but he doesn't bark and they don't mention that he is bad with kids or dogs. You'd have to find out about cats.

Happy: Adopt a Golden Retriever: Happy: Petfinder
-again not much info
-will need some regular brushing-hair longer than you want

Issy: Adopt a Golden Retriever: ISSY: Petfinder
-Probably a heavy shedder
-bad with some dogs, I don't know if you'll be wanting more dogs.

Rex: Adopt a Collie: REX: Petfinder

Meeshka: Adopt a Labrador Retriever: Meeshka: Petfinder

Willy: Adopt a Labrador Retriever: Willy** VERY URGEN: Petfinder

Sammy: Adopt a Labrador Retriever: Sammy**URGENT**: Petfinder

Midnight: Adopt a Golden Retriever: Midnight**URGENT**: Petfinder

There are a LOT more but i want to wait for info on age before I put them on.

Pops2

sighthound is so nice about bieng a sloth until it's time to play/run then it's just wow. the biggest issue is finding one w/ low prey drive

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
sighthounds are great :)
but they have a very strong prey drive, and should not be trusted off leash. AND they will easily jump your average fence.

Dont get a sheltie. They are awesome family dogs but the bark all the time. And they are horrible shedders.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Hounds are not good off leash. There are a few that are tho. Beagles do not bark all day, when trained properly. They shed like you wouldnt belive.

Poodle.

Members online

No members online now.