I've got a heeling problem

milos_mommy

Milo's heels are starting to get really good.

the problem is, he heels really close to me.

Like, so close i trip over him :p

How can i get him to give me a little bit of space??

R

RedyreRottweilers

Crowding can be a really serious problem if it's allowed to continue. Dogs that heel too close to me find out quickly how CLUMSY I am.

;)

milos_mommy

Unfortunately...i really am clumsy! I've nearly fallen flat on my face turning a couple times.

Paige

Let it be
I was mean and stepped on them. Clearly not intentionally but they learned quick. Poor guys.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider got stepped on too. We went for our second rollerblade of the season yesterday and she lost herself staring at a dog.. she accidentally got bladed on. She now is back to thinking about her vs me. I felt terrible.. but it happens..

Dekka

Just try me..
is he forging too? If he is beside your foot its hard to step on him :) Where exactly is he in relation to your pant seam?

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I've stepped on them on occasion by accident. But for training crowding issues, a lot of quick left turns can help. If they don't "get" it, I'll kinda do a tap dance as if I'm aiming to step on their toes (never actually stepping on them of course) but just to get them to move their feet out of the way.

Also, if you're using food, make sure it's being given at your side and not in front of you. A common error is to reward the dog with the food a little ways in front of you and that teaches the dog to be there instead of at the side.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Crowding is usually caused by rewarding too close to you or correcting towards you which teaches the dogs to avoid correction by leaning towards you. Make sure you aren't doing either of those things. Really watch your rewards- make sure Milo is in perfect position when you click or mark the behavior and then make sure that the treat is given to him in a way that does not pull him out of position.

Members online

No members online now.