Official 2015 Fitness Challenge

Oh, and you think the focus on health is better than people trying to reach a number? How is that less destructive than focusing on a weight goal?

I find it hilarious actually, because most of the people I see on MFP who keep talking about eating clean are MISERABLE, don't know how to deal with their cravings and/or keep binging. I fail to see how that's healthier in the long run. Mental and emotional health matters too...
no, i said eat healthy foods and get out and move. I don't care why you do it. what's MFP? a bunch of people with screwed up priorities being "healthy"? You prove my point and don't even realize it.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
MFP is My Fitness Pal, it's a website where you can track calories eaten and calories spent. The calories burned part is pretty useless IME but I use it to track my macros.

For the record I think any kind of generalization sucks. I've been eating mostly primal for going on three years now and I certainly can't eat gluten unless I want to end up stuck in the bathroom, and I wouldn't call myself miserable. I was miserable when I would be sick after eating for inexplicable reasons. Miserable when my life revolved around food and I couldn't eat if I had to live my life because I might be ill and eating would disrupt what I had to do. "Miserable" now because I want to eat Oreos and I can't? No. I'm an adult and I can deal with not being able to eat something I want without throwing a tantrum and stuffing it into my face regardless if it will make me vomit or give me the shits.

There are certainly plenty of people who eat whatever they want but on a calorie restricted basis who cannot handle cravings and binge eat and on and on. I don't think the formation of the diet has anything at all to do with being successful or not. If you can't manage your cravings it has nothing to do with if you are "allowing" yourself to eat something or not.

Without getting into a debate over so-called clean eating I would have to say that if somebody is having emotional or mental health problems because they can't eat cake whenever they want, their emotional and mental health problems go beyond the scale.

(caveat that I of course find it better to eat whole foods and of course it is more difficult to over-eat when you are eating whole foods, but I don't think it is as simple as that for everybody.)

ETA: I don't think what RTH is saying is actually that abrasive although I understand why it can come across that way... or maybe I just don't care that much to get into an argument about it. I think it really just boils down to taking care of your body without being obsessive about it. It's not necessarily easy to do, if it were everybody in the country would be fit and healthy, nobody would have emotional issues with food, nobody would hurt themselves over-exercising, et cetera. But in theory it is actually rather simple... It's not so much about the idea of having X goal being the problem, it's how people pursue those goals.

Last edited:

Fran27

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who just happen to love food (like me) because it's a hobby or whatnot, and who ARE miserable because they want to lose weight but don't want to feel deprived. Just look around you at all the obese people... If you really think that because people really love ice cream, they have mental issues, well, I guess I could say the same about people who treat their dog like a child... but frankly, it's not my place to judge what people like.

But anyway, that's why I think that eating 'clean' (whatever that means... considering that nobody has the same notion of what is clean and what isn't) just doesn't work for everyone, because feeling deprived all the time just for the sake of being healthier just isn't a way to live. Just because YOU don't feel this way doesn't mean that everyone doesn't, and that they have mental issues if they do. Sheesh.

Besides, there are a bunch of people who eat 'unhealthy' foods all the time and are perfectly healthy. It's all about moderation.

But gosh it irks me when people feel so superior because they eat 'healthy' and have to bring down people who eat gluten or pasta or ice cream or chocolate or... you get my point. Seriously, when someone eats 1500 calories of 'healthy' foods in a day, who gives a **** if they have 200 calories of ice cream? How does that make them unhealthy? And how do you define 'healthy' anyway? By what they eat? Please.

some of you are taking this way to personally and either i'm not being very clear or you're clearly misinterpreting what I said so you can argue.

I never mentioned "clean eating" or MFP or anything else. Maybe I didn't clarify in this thread, but eating "healthy" to me means eating real (natural) food most of the time. I most certainly don't feel deprived or miserable, in fact preparing and eating real food has increased the pleasure I've found in food so much more, but maybe that's just me.

So eat real food most of the time and move, every day at least enough to get your hearth and lungs pumping hard 4-5 times daily minimum. I don't care if you go to a gym or run up your stairs at work or home. Just move.

I don't know why people take offense to that? It's simple, and all you need to do. Everyone wants to bring the message back to weight, and that's my point. DON'T

It doesn't matter. It's how you get there. If you're moving everyday and eating mostly real foods and your scale says you weight 180lbs, who cares. Fitness and fatness are related and they aren't. If getting below 180 means you're going to be miserable, but you're moving every single day and eating mostly real foods, then what are you really going to do that makes you more healthy?

and chances are if you're moving enough every day and eating real foods, you're not going to be miserable, and you're not going to be very "overweight" either, but some people are and it's ok because weight isn't, or shouldn't be the end goal. It's health and plenty of people carry a little extra that are perfectly healthy compared to their thin counterparts.

You think ice cream doesn't touch these lips? Please, I had cookies and cream last night with a banana. I was in sugar coma heaven, but it's not an all the time thing. Most days consist of real food, and what I do the majority of the time will overrule what I do some of the time. It's not a special rule made for me, it applies to everyone and everything.

and I like generalization. It keeps things simple, simple works. I know people might need to start differently than that, but in my experience, it's a rare person that can keep that up for long and keep health the goal. More often it's very obsessive people that may be thin, but are neurotic about healthy, they aren't healthy. There's always exceptions, but exceptions don't prove rules for me.

I don't mind how people start, but eventually the calorie counters, the body fat measurement, the weight scales, the measuring tapes etc all need to go or they become the focus and then people completely undermine their efforts to become more "healthy" either by doing drastic things or quitting. Eventually it is just about moving and eating real foods.

Hi!

2015 was my year to make my fitness goals a reality. Instead of trying to lose weight, I have been working on gaining weight.

I work with a trainer 4x a week and so far (8wks in) I have gained 8lbs of muscle. I lift heavy weights and track my macros on MFP. It's been life changing and I absolutely love it!

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Started a 30 day shred program on Thursday.
My plan is to (ideally) lose 15lbs by June. Or at the very least, tone up so the weight that's there is muscle. So I'm hoping this shred sort of kickstarts my post-school fitness.

I also bought a fitbit because a few people in a dog group I'm in have decided to hold a little competition to see who can get the most steps May 1-May 31. I might have a chance :rolleyes:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I am so pleased.

I weighed myself at work today and I am 141.8 pounds. I've lost almost 10 pounds since starting my diet! :D This is the least I've weighed since moving out of my parents' house almost four years ago! I can tell the difference in my body and I am so much more happy with the way I look now.

Even more amazing is it doesn't feel like I'm dieting. Which is awesome, because I'm really hoping my eating habits will remain healthy even when I'm maintaining my weight vs trying to loose.

amberdyan

Started a 30 day shred program on Thursday.
My plan is to (ideally) lose 15lbs by June. Or at the very least, tone up so the weight that's there is muscle. So I'm hoping this shred sort of kickstarts my post-school fitness.

I also bought a fitbit because a few people in a dog group I'm in have decided to hold a little competition to see who can get the most steps May 1-May 31. I might have a chance :rolleyes:
let me know if you want another fitbit friend. I like competition, even if I do have my lazy days : p

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
let me know if you want another fitbit friend. I like competition, even if I do have my lazy days : p
Definitely! I love the competition. So far I'm already in second place for the past 7 days among my current friends....and I've only had it for 5 days :p
I'll PM you my email for it.

Also 5 days in on my shred. I've been getting up at 4am 5 out of the last 6 days, working out by 5, then heading to work. Feeling good, hopefully I don't crash lol

I started physical therapy for the torn cartilage in my hip and man it is painful! I hope this will get me back to running, though.

Picklepaige

Ugh, I don't understand. Last year, I was 205 lbs. Starting going to the gym 3 times a week and eating better, and I dropped down to 190 in a couple of months. Then school started back up, and I did what I always do when stressed: eating everything in sight. The past 5 months I have been eating junk food like crazy and not exercising like I should be.

I am now out of school for good and starting this shindig back up. I just weighed myself, and I weigh 174, but I look and feel fatter than I did at 205. I don't understand. I know I've lost a lot of muscle since I stopped going to the gym, but I didn't have any muscle when I was 40 pounds heavier, so why do I look even worse now?

Any physiology folk know the answer to this?

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Started running everday, and I finally have the motivation. I even feel guilty if I don't run for a day.

Started eat healthier. Trying to not eat out at much, because I use to so much. Especially since lunch is open-campus and there's so many food places around here.

I'm still wanting to lose at least 15 lbs. I feel really self-conscious.

Fran27

Ugh, I don't understand. Last year, I was 205 lbs. Starting going to the gym 3 times a week and eating better, and I dropped down to 190 in a couple of months. Then school started back up, and I did what I always do when stressed: eating everything in sight. The past 5 months I have been eating junk food like crazy and not exercising like I should be.

I am now out of school for good and starting this shindig back up. I just weighed myself, and I weigh 174, but I look and feel fatter than I did at 205. I don't understand. I know I've lost a lot of muscle since I stopped going to the gym, but I didn't have any muscle when I was 40 pounds heavier, so why do I look even worse now?

Any physiology folk know the answer to this?
Broken scale?

Me, well, I'm sure I would have reached my goal weight last month if I had actually got my period, but I didn't, so I kept the extra water weight, and this month has been crazy because I've been so hungry... so I probably put back on those 2-3 pounds I should have lost. Story of my life. I'll see where I stand once I lost the bloat from this period, probably in a couple weeks.

*blackrose

Whelp, I lost the weight I wanted to loose. Down to 138 pounds from 150. My "normal". I'd be happy closer to 130-135, but I've been 138 for as long as I can remember so I'm happy maintaining here!

However, I have 100% fallen off the exercise bandwagon. Hard core. First had some asthma issues, then hip issues (which haven't really resolved), then my hours picked up at work....and I just haven't gotten back in the swing of things. And with Michael coming home soon, I worry that I'll a.) start to gain wait back and b.) *really* not want to exercise. Lol

My friend has been bugging me, though, so I think it's time I jump back on the bandwagon.

I am worried about starting to work out again, though, with my weird orthopedic-esque issue going on. I think I have a pinched nerve/compressed disc in my tailbone that likes to flare up from time to time. What I thought was originally a hip issue I think is a sciatic nerve issue triggered by my stupid tailbone...is it still a good idea to go running and do exercises? I saw a doctor and she gave me the impression that jogging would be a big no no and I should look in to yoga.

Fran27

Whelp, I lost the weight I wanted to loose. Down to 138 pounds from 150. My "normal". I'd be happy closer to 130-135, but I've been 138 for as long as I can remember so I'm happy maintaining here!

However, I have 100% fallen off the exercise bandwagon. Hard core. First had some asthma issues, then hip issues (which haven't really resolved), then my hours picked up at work....and I just haven't gotten back in the swing of things. And with Michael coming home soon, I worry that I'll a.) start to gain wait back and b.) *really* not want to exercise. Lol

My friend has been bugging me, though, so I think it's time I jump back on the bandwagon.

I am worried about starting to work out again, though, with my weird orthopedic-esque issue going on. I think I have a pinched nerve/compressed disc in my tailbone that likes to flare up from time to time. What I thought was originally a hip issue I think is a sciatic nerve issue triggered by my stupid tailbone...is it still a good idea to go running and do exercises? I saw a doctor and she gave me the impression that jogging would be a big no no and I should look in to yoga.
Ask another doctor. Worst case, just walk a lot. I still can't jog because of my foot, but I make do with a lot of walking and some weight lifting (which I still hate... lol). Or exercise videos (not now though as I don't like being in another room for an hour when the kids are home). But if you just eat less to make up for not exercising, it's not a huge deal.

Yoga's always good, but yeah I don't consider that exercise, personally, as it really doesn't burn that many calories, but it's great for you.

Great job getting to 138 pounds though!

I'm still trying to get to 130 but I gained 2 pounds during my vacation so that's going to be a while. I'm always hungry. It sucks.

Kootenay

Congrats on getting down to 138, that's awesome!

Could you bike? It seems like good non-impact cardio. Also definitely weights, I found I see the biggest visible change in my body when I'm doing heavy weights versus just cardio.

I'm down 30lbs, so that's rad.
That is super impressive!!! Way to go.

I've been trying to be good about sticking to some sort of exercise regimen...between me and my boyfriend we have quite a good collection of weights and various workout items, including a climbing wall in his barn, so that makes it pretty easy to just get out there and do some stuff fairly regularly. I also just found this sweet hike really nearby, it's super steep for a good long while and then flattens out and goes through nice old grown forest, and I usually try to run that part. I've done it twice in the past week, I'm going to try to keep doing it regularly. It's a really good workout...my legs are super sore from doing it yesterday!

*blackrose

My friend is going to send me some workout videos, so I will be utilizing those. I also think I'm going to attempt a couch to 5k program and just start off slow and easy. If after my jogs I have more pain, I'll just walk. I'm hoping I can drag Michael along with me on the walks to help motivate me (even though he can go 3x faster and 10 times longer than I can haha).

I don't really have a good place to bike, unfortunately, so unless I got an exercise bike for the house that isn't really an option. And my knees tend to REALLY bugger up when I bike for too long.

Fran27

We got a $100 exercise bike on Amazon... best money ever spent! I know I'll always have a workout, even if it's just biking for an hour while watching some TV. The calorie burn is pretty sad for me but it's better than nothing.

Members online

No members online now.