Lhasa Apso Vomiting and Blood in Stool

My poor little year-old dog hasn't been interested in food much lately. We let her out in the back daily and I wonder if she ate a weed or something. Anywayz-- After $435 has been spent at the vet ruling out Parvot and bacterial infection, we've decided to just keep her home and hope she gets better. The doctor wanted to keep her another day and he had no idea what it was. She's not her perky self. Any ideas? -D

Update 24 hrs l8r

Gizmo is pretty much back to normal. I think she may have got a hold of something to chew on in the backyard. We have hose nozzles, pool equip etc. that she can get into. Anyway-- she's eating again. We cleaned up a lot of unmentionable YUKKY stuff this morning in the tiled bathroom where she spent the night, but I have high hopes based on her playfulness last night amd this morning that she just ate something bad or sharp plastic and she's gonna be okay. It was cute, our 6 year old boy prayed at the dinner table that she would be better. LOL. I am sure that will probably seal the deal, Lord willing. This just goes to show me though that money and vets can't always determine what's wrong.

D

The reason I asked about the chews is that my Mom's Rat Terrier, Katie, had the same symptoms after being given a pig's ear. It sounds like you had the same problem - and the same solution! ;)

I will Serena. Your post reminded me that I should type here publicly that it DEFINITELY was worth the money spent on the vet to at least RULE OUT possible disease. I don't want to say people shouldn't take their dogs in. Anywayz-- hopefully Gizmo will be alright-- I think she will. Thanks.

pitbulliest

If you're really worried, I would probably go see one more vet. I know that means another vet bill, but if its something that you think might be serious, I would definately think its worth it...make sure she drinks plenty of water and keep your eye on her..I hope she gets well soon :(

My wife and I thought about that, but last night and this morning she had normal bowel movements again and she is eating like she used to. If it gets like it was before, you can rest assured we will go to another vet. I am sure the next one could skip a lot of the work we paid for the first time and really address the issue:
ie;
Parvot Test $35?
IV and Fluids overnight $45?
Overnight Kennel Fee $35
X-Ray of Dog $130
Bacterial Stool Test $???
yadda yadda

I don't know the full amounts of where the charges were because my wife was there while I was at work. Nonetheless, we ruled a lot of thing out with that visit. That's why I recommend people go, even if they can't get a diagnosis. You still get your money's worth knowing what it IS NOT.

To close, I'm happy to report little gizmo is runnin around like the cute maniac she used to be. We sure missed her. I will try and post a photo for you helpful people. Thanks again.

avenlee

Just wondering and I know this post started a while ago and Gizmo is doing fine now, but I couldn't help to notice the similarities with my Westie when she was around 6 - 7 months old. She was horribly tired all the time with bloody dirrahea ( lol spell check). Turned out, she was in heat.

Was wondering if Gizmo has been spayed?

Glad Gizmo is feeling better... great pic ! Love them Lhasa's ;) And only us Lhasa owner's really know how to spell it right hehehehe :)

Members online