The selling part of breeding can be aggravating

SaraB

Just a quick question and then I'll leave this alone, why not wait to breed them until the health testing was done? Since she came in early, why not skip this heat and wait until the next?

milos_mommy

Sara, Dekka's already said a few times that this breeding wasn't planned in the timing, she hoped to breed them but planned on waiting until they were tested - it was, in that sense, an "oops" litter.

SaraB

Sara, Dekka's already said a few times that this breeding wasn't planned in the timing, she hoped to breed them but planned on waiting until they were tested - it was, in that sense, an "oops" litter.
Yes that's because she came in early per her original posts about breeding this litter.

milos_mommy

I didnt' decide now. It hasn't been a secret (I know its been discussed at least in chat lol) this was an oops, not in choice of dogs but in timing. If it had been a bad choice I would have spay aborted.
I took the "oops" to mean it happened on accident, not that it was planned for the future but the plans changed when Seren came into heat, but that Dekka planned on breeding her during the next heat and she accidentally got pregnant.

SaraB

I took the "oops" to mean it happened on accident, not that it was planned for the future but the plans changed when Seren came into heat, but that Dekka planned on breeding her during the next heat and she accidentally got pregnant.
Hmmm, I guess I interpreted that differently. Hopefully Dekka will come on to clear it up.

Just a quick question and then I'll leave this alone, why not wait to breed them until the health testing was done? Since she came in early, why not skip this heat and wait until the next?
That was the plan, Sara, to wait for the last of the testing to be done, but sometimes clever, determined little dogs have their own plans.

ACooper

Dekka and I are discussing it (or at least trying to find an optimal time to discuss it that works for us both)

While I do have plans to go smaller in breed choice for our next addition, I have major concerns about a JRT. I fear our house might not be able to provide enough exercise and stimulus for Quest. Orson's main requirement is (and has always been) being near us, LOL I am not overly educated on JRTs, and I haven't run a new addition past the family yet.

Plus, we just lost Phoebe in March and that was a HUGE bomb for the kids.........especially since 2 of them are young enough to NOT remember life without Phoebe. I'm sure Dekka has about 2.5 bajillion things to share with and ask of me as well, NO PRESSURE PLEASE GUYS.......

milos_mommy

Coop...I think for most family with kids where they are at school all day, shuffling off to ballet soccer karate, both parents work, etc...a JRT isn't a good pet-dog-choice.

But, if you can toss toys around the house, train for 15 minutes a day, and run around the backyard with the dog for an hour a few times a week, he'll be fine, as long as he's getting attention and stimulus throughout the dog. Interactive toys, playing with another dog, going for a ride to the bank, even just kicking a toy around while you cook or teaching the dog to hold his place "out of the kitchen" is good stimulus.

Honestly I don't think a JRT puppy is much more high energy than a young doberman.

ACooper

............Honestly I don't think a JRT puppy is much more high energy than a young doberman.
And honestly, I wouldn't get another young doberman! LOL I didn't plan to get Orson, he just needed us. Now I'm almost 7 years older (and so are the kids) and 7 years slower, LOL

I appreciate your post though. I've always heard JRTs are very energetic and hard to keep up with. IDK, best to wait and speak with Keri :)

milos_mommy

Yeah, if you think a young Dobe would be too high energy, a JRT might be as well! Hopefully Kerri can let you know more specifically about Quest's energy level.

Also, I'm like "Orson's SEVEN?!?" I really was imagining him to be 3 or 4....then I remembered he's the same age as Milo. Where does the time go??

Dekka

Just try me..
Most of my dogs have gone as family pets. I find the whippets more 'hyper' in general, but that could also be the size. When they are up they are just big enough to be annoying.

To be honest I am not as active a home as I would like to be the last while. Between doing my thesis and now working they don't get as much as I would like, but they are still happy and well behaved.

I think most people have issues with high drive no off switch types. Those would drive me nuts too. Snip has lived down town Toronto for years now with a friend in a small apt. She doesn't do dog sports, other than a JRT trial once a year or so. He is happy and not crazy.

Add kids etc and I would think the dog would be even happier, as they tend to like activity.

I couldn't handle a young (insert many breeds here) mainly due to size and goofy OMG hai -ness. I find JRTs as long as you keep them busy (so a bone, or an activity etc) for a bit a day they seem to be fine. They just can't be ignored.. do not ignore them... lol.

xpaeanx

The only thing I would add to this thread on Coop taking Quest, would be how Quest will be aggressive wise. I don't know how the mix of the two pedigrees will do with dog agression, and I Coop will have a male/female mix which usually creates much lower tension.

What I can say with Walsh, is that in the future I don't think I will go with another same sex combo with a JRT. I would like to point out that 95% percent of the time they are fine and respect each other... but that other 5%, it makes things... interesting to say the least. I was prepared that this might be a possiblity and that it might even be worse, so I knew what I was getting into. But, I think in the future... I'd like a little less stress for myself.

Other than that, if you have a yard, a ball, and some time to throw it you'll be fine. I find throwing it into things so he has to go find it also helps a bit. Plus I keep chew toys/feeder toys for the crate.

BUT, if you want a lazy dog that doesn't need much excercise past walking to get dinner, walking outside to go potty, and walking to the couch to watch TV with you... then I wouldn't get a jack.

k9krazee

With my experience, an inexperienced family of six, adding 3 JRts in a short period of time...they aren't your ordinary dog! There was a steep learning curve an now the dogs are 10 (Kyra had just turned 8) we seemed to have figured it out. But they do need mental stimulation, exercise and lots of patience. We had many problems with aggression towards children as the dogs were younger (but after 5 all became super sweet with kids!) and dog aggression. We did not do nearly enough socialization though and they were from BYBs. I would definitely not have the same sex combo. Our females would co-exist great and all of a sudden begin seriously fighting. The females NEVER fought with the male and we had some issues with male JRT and other males.

But for our ordinary family, they brought a lot of comic relief and joy. Definitely an interactive dog that is not happy being a couch dog (all the time).

That's my only addition to the thread. I'm sure it's sad and frustrating when you have te perfect home lined up until the last minute :(

xpaeanx

um.... geeze.... I guess I would have to say there was always *some* agression, as a growl and short mostly noise scuffle might happen over crossed boundries...

But, I guess maybe around a year it started getting really bad? I can't remember exactly. After I got them both neutered it calmned down A LOT.

The problem now is the fighting isn't a harmless mostly noise scuffle, it's real fighting.

Dekka

Just try me..
It can happen.. it is the risk of JRTs.. esp with same sex dogs. I am hoping in this litter it will be less of a risk as we have eliminated Twists lines which see to be where a bit of the aggression came from. (Twist was Dekka's mom)

Though if you have same sex dogs there is always the chance one will have to crate and rotate after maturity. Often the dog will take a dislike to ONE other dog. Solo hated Kaiden but was fine with all the other dogs and is still fine with other dogs. Kat never met a dog she didn't like. Sadly Walsh didn't get the memo that he was supposed to like Muffin :( Dekka and Seren right now seriously fight, though Seren is great with everyone else even the other girls. Bounce and Dekka went through a phase..

Opposite sex is much much less of risk.

ETA I want to point out that I think Xpaeanx has done a great job with dealing Walsh and Muffin! (and raising Walsh) It is absolutely something that can pop up with same sex pairings.

xpaeanx

I know same sex aggression is common with any breeds, but jacks tend to be more...scrappy? I guess. LOL.

And I was just pointing that out as something to talk to you about. It is better to get into a situation knowing what the more likely possibilities are, rather than being surprised. And like I said, Coops situation is different than mine. Different lines and different home situation.

I love my Scruffy little monster...even though he doesn't always share the same regard for the Muffin. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.