Interesting Trend

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
So i'm on a few dog forums plus i'm exposed to all kinds of dog people with my job. All types of people, all types of training thoughts, all types of dogs.

One trend I've noticed though which is interesting, is that most of the people who are CM or BP worshippers either have small dogs or "aggressive breeds". What i've also noticed is that if they happen to talk to me about problems their dogs are having (fighting, food aggression, destroying things, etc) and i suggest crating/confining/restraint/isolation and seeking out a trained professional (to whom i recommend and give them a card to)they get totally offended. Not because i suggested a professional behaviourist or trainer, but because i suggested crating. The small dog owners go on about how cruel it is to put poor poopsie in an awful jail cell, then the "aggressive breed" owners go on about how it'll stunt their monster coffee table dog's massive ripped muscley growth and that is cruel because people won't be in awe of the thing then.

So it's weird. They don't see that slamming and pinning and stringing their dogs up as cruel, but think that crates/confinement/isolation/restraining is cruel.

The dog world is mighty strange sometimes.

Maura

I take it that CM is Cesar Milan. Who is BP?

The whole hanging dog thing makes me sick. I will explain that hanging a dog was used only in cases where the dog's next breath would be his last, and only worked in 50% of cases (per Wm Koehler, who wrote about it). It was never used on an ordinary dog. **sigh** I also explain that giving a dog a crate is like giving your kid his own room. They can sleep in there, play in there, but it can also be used as a time out, something to let the dog settle down or not put him in a situation he can't handle. The first time I read about crating dogs I also thought it was cruel. It takes hearing about it a few times before accepting that using a crate for management or training is not cruel.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I take it that CM is Cesar Milan. Who is BP?
BP = Brad Pattison... He's Canada's excuse for a TV trainer. Uses a lot of force, yelling, dominance crap. Tells people if they give dogs treats their dog will overthrow the house and steal candy from babies.

Members online

No members online now.