Age to aquire a service dog?

Saeleofu

do service animal laws vary by state? I thought they were federal civil rights laws or something? I also know they'll likely be changing in the next few years.
Just as Corgipower said, laws covering service dogs are federal, but as far as service dogs in training, it's state.

A service dog in training is NOT the same thing as a service dog. A PWD with an SDiT does NOT have public access rights under federal law. Some states choose to allow program trainers, owner-trainers, or both have SDiTs in public. Some don't. Some have special requirements or limitations.

Even some service dog laws vary from state to state, but all they can do is give more rights. For example, some states grant public access to ESAs, but under federal law ESAs are only allowed on planes and in no-pets apartments. Some states give benefits to certain service dogs, such as free licensing fees, etc.

Also remember the SD or SDiT never has access rights on its own, it's always the PWD that has the rights.

Saeleofu

I just thought Pyschdog had a good example of the tasks those dogs can do, most of their info seems pretty reliable, to me, actually, but I haven't read even close to all of it yet.
The thing with Psychdog is that it encourages "task shopping" and creating a list of tasks to try to justify a service dog, while the proper way to go about it is to think what problems you have, and then go from there deciding what a service dog can do for you.

Psychdog also encourages tasks that aren't really tasks, such as hugs, kisses, comfort, and tactile stimulation. Of course those things can all be helpful, but they're not tasks on their own.

lizzybeth727

I would go with an adult dog from a breeder.

The bottom line is a PSD MUST have a rock solid temperament. They, above all other service dogs, need to be flawless.
My vote is that you get an adult dog; an adult from a breeder would be the best case scenario, but an adult from a foster home and a good rescue group could also work.

My organization gets all our dogs from shelters/rescues. We do not evaluate puppies because our evaluations are not accurate on puppies. Our evaluation is not terribly accurate on adolescent dogs, either, so we try to at least judge that the dog is full-grown before we evaluate him.

The service dog shelter evaluation doesn't particularly require a lot of skill - besides being good at reading dogs and making quick decisions in an unpredictible environment - but it does require a LOT of experience. I saw and assisted in probably over 5,000 dog evaluations before I got to do my own, and even more before I finally got to pull dogs on my own without my trainer seeing the evaluation. I would not suggest someone without a LOT of experience with shelter dogs to do the shelter evaluation on their own.

As far as a puppy, like was mentioned above, you really won't know the dog's temperment or suitability to be a service dog until you've put over a year's worth of training into the dog. Even the organizations that breed dogs for their programs only have a 20-40% success rate among the litters that they raise. IMO raising a puppy as your first service dog would be setting yourself up for failure.

so it would be help if you could give them a bunch of ways to JUDGE if they have potential.
"how does he do in public places?"
"quick to learn?"
"easy to please"
"ok with other people"
"dogs?"
"loud noises?"

and of course a description about what your dog would need to know how to do
I'd HIGHLY suggest talking to some service dog organizations and/or visiting to spend some time with their dogs, to get a better idea of temperment qualities you would be looking for. For example, I personally do NOT like service dogs that learn quickly; if they learn training skills quickly, they will also learn how to get into trouble in the home. Smart dogs are difficult for our clients to live with; I'd much prefer a dog that learns slowly.

There's also a HUGE list beyond this one of qualities you'll have to look for.

I often send a long description of our selection criteria to rescue groups, which they use to determine which dogs to recommend to us. Still, about 95% of the dogs they recommend to us will not pass our evaluations. I'd imagine breeders would be the same way, unless they happen to have experience with service dogs. So I do think it'll be immensely important that you visit the dog and evaluate him yourself before deciding to bring him home.

Small dogs are typically huggers or fakers. Sure, there are some legitimate service dogs that are small, but they're rare, and so I think people will assume that a small dog isn't really a service dog, and you'll have more access disputes.
My org uses small dogs as hearing dogs. 30 pounds is our ideal - large enough to see on the floor in public places, but small enough to fit easily in restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes, etc. 15 pounds is the absolute smallest we will go, though, because they are difficult to see in a crowd.

Not that it matters, since the OP needs a tall dog; just FYI.

Also, I really, really suggest going with a program for your first SD.... I've heard Susquehanna Service Dogs is a great PSD organization.
I didn't know that Susquehanna did PSD dogs (will have to go look that up!), but I do know that they do a great job with their service dogs; I'd recommend them as well.

Also, I'm not sure about not taking the dog into public until it's a year old....I live right near an enormous guide dog foundation, work with people who work there, and often see them training in public.

Puppy walkers take those pups into public wearing a cape starting at 12 weeks old. And by four or five months those dogs are pretty rock solid in public about not being distracted, barking, etc.

I'm starting to think puppy is the way to go. I think a rescue puppy is the riskiest option, though. But also at 2 or 3 months a puppy wouldn't have had a lot of trauma or developed many negative behaviors.
Again, if you rescue you won't know the genetic history of the puppy, which is extremely important. The genetic history will help you determine not only the temperment, but also the health of the puppy; you'd hate to train him for three years only to have to retire him for HD (which, in a tall dog like you said you will need, is much more likely).

Like was mentioned, puppy raisers do usually have to have permission to take their dogs into public. Socialization is EXTREMELY important for service dog puppies, though, so if you get one you'll have to get him out into public several times a week. You can, of course, go into pet stores, hardware stores, and other places where pet dogs are allowed, so that is still an option even if you can't take the puppy into most stores.

And even guide dog puppies go through adolescence. ;) The "rock solid" 4-5 month old puppies you see, I assure you, do not necessarily remain rock solid when they grow to adults.

The thing with Psychdog is that it encourages "task shopping" and creating a list of tasks to try to justify a service dog, while the proper way to go about it is to think what problems you have, and then go from there deciding what a service dog can do for you.

Psychdog also encourages tasks that aren't really tasks, such as hugs, kisses, comfort, and tactile stimulation. Of course those things can all be helpful, but they're not tasks on their own.
:hail::hail: The whole "task" debate is a huge soapbox for me, so I just wanted to repeat these two statements. :D

Oh, and BTW:
Here, a lot of stores have a sign in the window (at least big corporate grocery stores and wal mart and costco and stuff) that say "Service dogs always welcome" and a number you can call to report if they give you a hard time.
If they won't let you in with a legitimate service dog, the number you should call is the police office. It is a misdemeanor offence, punishable by fine and/or jail time.

If you train your own service dog, one of the MOST IMPORTANT things you should do is to familiarize yourself with the state and federal laws regarding service dogs; know your rights, know what to do if your rights are violated, and stick to it. ;)

Dekka

Just try me..
I say adult dog, as both a breeder and trainer (though I don't train service dogs) Seeing eye dogs stay with puppy raisers till they are a year. Yes they go out in public but so do many breeder owned dogs. Basically the real training waits till the dog is an adult.

An adult is going to be a safer bet. Lets say you get a puppy and it washes out. You then have to start again having now lost a year (or more). At least with an adult you can see how it does in public, how stable it is etc.

And yes breeder's dogs can have already learned the 'how to learn' deal. There are breeders out there who also train and compete in dog sports. Their pups tend to be highly socialized and some start introducing clicker training when the pups are still nursing!

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'm going to vote for an older dog, preferably from a good breeder. Especially if you are looking into any breeds that have a history of becoming DA at maturity (dobes, rotties, bullies, etc.) . If it's a breed with a history of HD, I would at least want the dog old enough to have prelims done. I would also find out the longevity of the dog's ancestors if possible, and what they died of. If their ancestor's health tests are in the OFA database, even bigger bonus.

We got Strider at 9 weeks. His breeder had already done a bunch of temperament testing on her litter and selected the top three prospects, and then she socialized the patooey out of them in preparation for a SD career.

We picked Strider because he was the most "in the middle" for temperament. He had a great rebound from being startled, was inquisitive and friendly, but not TOO friendly (one of his bros is the most social zoi puppy I have ever laid eyes on). The other two zois ended up washing and Strider was the only one of the litter to become a service dog.

I think a lot of that was luck, a lot was training and socialization, and a lot was him. We were originally going to use an organization in Tucson that mentors owner/trainers, and oversees the training. Then we moved and we got a private trainer for him to mentor us as a team. It worked out extremely well, she is VERY strict with even her casual obedience students. We went through the ringer. lol.

And Sael is right. The MOST IMPORTANT trait for a PSD is emotional/mental stability. If they become emotionally dependent on you, and feed off your emotions, then they are going to cause more harm than good when you're in a crisis.

Saeleofu

If they won't let you in with a legitimate service dog, the number you should call is the police office. It is a misdemeanor offence, punishable by fine and/or jail time.
I've always been told that sure, you can call the police, but they can't necessarily do something. However, IF they can help they'll be more immediate help than other numbers. The number to call is the DOJ hotline...I'd have to go dig the number up (once Logan starts public access it will be programmed into my cell phone). They are the "enforcing agency" of the ADA. As far as I know local police can only help with local SD laws. The ADA is a civil law.

The only place I've seen with their own SD help line and thus a number to call is Walmart, and if I remember correctly it's part of a settlement.

Also, about hearing dogs - small dog are ideal for hearing dogs, though that is one of the major exceptions to small dogs not generally being used. The other thing is a lot of hearing dogs are only used in the home (there are people that use them in public, though). As Lizzy mentioned, small dogs are more prone to being stepped on/missed than larger dogs, so too small isn't a good idea if you'll be working the dog in public. A little piece of trivia is that there is no hearing dog breeding program, as they all fail miserable. Apparently the only place to find a good hearing dog prospect is in a shelter, unlike other types of service dogs. Other dogs can do hearing alerts, but small rescue dogs seem to be the BEST at it.

lizzybeth727

A little piece of trivia is that there is no hearing dog breeding program, as they all fail miserable. Apparently the only place to find a good hearing dog prospect is in a shelter, unlike other types of service dogs. Other dogs can do hearing alerts, but small rescue dogs seem to be the BEST at it.
Yep. I know of an organization that bred papillons for hearing work, but I don't think they are doing it anymore... don't know what happened.

Of course there are lots of organizations - particularly the larger ones - that breed all their dogs and use hearing dogs that they breed. But in most of those cases, they breed with the intention of raising service dogs, and take ones among those that are better suited to be hearing dogs.... if that makes any sense. So not all hearing dogs come from shelter/rescue.

milos_mommy

SO.MUCH.INFO.

I think I'm back to square one, with adult rescue. I don't want to risk another puppy with an unknown background. I'm not 100% decided. But probably.

I think as far as SDIT my state's laws are pretty lax.

Oh, and Sael...licking and nudging and kisses and stuff can absolutely be a task. If it's done on command, and it prevents you go from going into or returns you from a dissociative state, keeps you from fainting, etc., how is it not a task? It's not different than bringing medication or doing anything else that would prevent an episode.

What about dogs that do things like lie across their owners body or chest to keep them from going into a state like that?

milos_mommy

New York. I'll check in to the laws, but we're a pretty good state for dog lovers (or at least where I've been, out on the island and Manhattan). No BSL, strict animal cruelty laws, special investigators for animal cruelty, etc. And honestly most places, even food places and stores and stuff, will allow a dog inside. And while I've never seen any badly behaved or probably not legit service dogs around, I see a good deal of people with service dogs of all ages and SDIT around.

Saeleofu

Oh, and Sael...licking and nudging and kisses and stuff can absolutely be a task. If it's done on command, and it prevents you go from going into or returns you from a dissociative state, keeps you from fainting, etc., how is it not a task? It's not different than bringing medication or doing anything else that would prevent an episode.
A task is a behavior that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks that mitigate a disability. Just because a natural behavior such as licking is put on stimulus control doesn't mean it's a task.

I'm in no mental state to explain it all right now, but I really, really encourage you to go to that link I gave you and ask questions. Trust me, we don't bite, and everyone is only there to help each other :)

What about dogs that do things like lie across their owners body or chest to keep them from going into a state like that?
Nope. I've had someone tell me that the only exception to deep pressure being a task is for those on the autism spectrum, and even than I don't really count it as a task. Useful, helpful? Of course. But not a task. Gavroche will lay on me too, but that doesn't make him a service dog.

Saeleofu

NY State SD laws: New York Assistance Animal/Guide Dog Laws

They say that a "qualified trainer" has public access rights with an SDiT. You'll have to do some digging to see what exactly a qualified trainer is.

In Kansas, they specifically state that the trainer has to be from a recognized service dog program.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Now, Im no expert, but here is my opinion. I know Sae has hers, but here is mine.

Personally, I think a service dog is just an exceptionally trained dog that helps a person with a disability/condition somehow.
Now, if that includes licking/nudging on command, then so be it.. whatever it takes to help that person.

do all dogs lick? Ya. well, most of them do. but most dogs don't have the training it takes to be a service dog, to go into public places, to not freak out at different sounds, smells, people etc.., to stay at their persons side. that kind of thing

I don't think any dog that licks can be a service dog, but a dog that is extremely well behaved and can handle staying calm and well mannered in public while still recognizing their owners signs of distress and doing calming commands like licking and nudging.. Yea, I think that certainly is a service dog.

I know there are people who take untrained dogs into stores or whatever and say they are service dogs because they lick them or whatever..well, those aren't service dogs, because they don't have the training to be there. what they are doing is just normal dog behavior and usually they tend to be freaking out at the new environment and barking and going mad.

I do think there is a difference between that and a trained dog that knows calming ques and commands like licking.

and i really don't think some forum should decide what is/isn't a service dog to people.

If licking and nudging is what a person needs.. then, I think thats what a service dog should know how to do.
and as long as that dog is well socialized, behaved, and well mannered in public than I certainly see no harm to the 'service dog world' by them being in public, in my eyes, they are just a different kind of service dog, providing a different kind of service.

There was a time when only seeing eye dogs were considered service dogs, and now look at all the accepted kinds we have! from PSDs, to seizure dogs, to hearing dogs, etc.. so I think its important to keep an open mind for ALL the ways these special dogs can help people.

I have a cousin with autism and some other problems that affect his mobility and *gasp* he has a trained service dog from an org, and many people don't agree with it, which im sure nearly everyone on that forum won't (because of his age and other reasons). all I know is that his life is 1000% better because of his dog, and thats what matters. that right there is what makes his dog a service dog

again, just my 2 cents.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
In Georgia the laws are pretty restrictive on SDs and SDiTs. They also require SDiTs be with someone from a recognized guid dog organization, and the state law only recognizes Guide and Hearing dogs. However, Federal Law trumps state law, so that when the dog IS a SD and not a SDiT they are allowed.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Fran, the "forum" isn't deciding what her dog needs to do for her, just like they can't decide what mine needs to do for me. Something that a dog does on its own isn't nessecarily going to hold up as a trained "task" should something happen and you have to go to court and prove you need a SD. Accepted tasks are something the dog would not naturally do to mitigate distress on its handlers part. For example, Enzo wouldn't naturally come and tell me at a specific time that I need to go to bed. I have to train her to do that. Otherwise she would just chill around the house with me.

Also, she wouldn't interrupt a "bad" pattern of behavior naturally. She'll be trained to interrupt though, and that is something that is demonstrable in court.

Its late and I'm really tired though, so I'm probably making zero sense.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Im up early too lol now that I re-read the posts with coffee in my system, they are making more sense :rofl1:

the point I was trying to make was.. I think that licking/nudging can be tasks. they aren't always obviously, romeo will lick my hands after I eat peanut butter lol that certainly isn't a task, its natural.

but lets say I taught Romeo to lick my hands and face when I fainted to wake me up, or to nudge my hand when the phone rings.. I do think that would count as a task. they serve a purpose and it isn't natural, its something I would have to TEACH him to do.

Now, I faint sometimes. and Romeo will lick my hands and bark. its natural for him. but I've had dogs that just would stand there and look at me... soo, even if its something that YOUR dog happens to do naturally, its something that would have to be TAUGHT to another dog. I think if both dogs do it, wether they were taught or its natural for them, it counts as a task. the only difference is the first dog just happens to do it without anyone teaching it to them.

Like the dogs that detect seizures. some dogs just DO IT, without being taught how to. but I think thats still a very important task!

Romy

Taxiderpy
There actually has been a lot of controversy lately as to whether or not alerting is a task by itself, since it can't be taught or demonstrated on command. For people who have alert dogs it's recommended that they teach additional tasks for support during and after whatever kind of episode they are alerting to.

And Sael wasn't talking about her idea of the definitions of service dog. It's not just a well behaved dog. The legal definition is a dog that has been trained to do specific tasks that mitigate the handler's disability. If they can't demonstrate specific tasks that do that, then they aren't a service dog. Honestly, the law doesn't say anything about how much obedience training or how the dog should behave in public other than it can't pose a danger to the health and safety of the public.

There is a reason we have different legal definitions and rights for different animals. The nudging/licking by itself is a function of an ESA, who have no access rights. If you train your SD to do those things or it does them naturally then it's an awesome bonus in addition to their core tasks.

milos_mommy

Okay, so if a task is a specific task that mitigates a handler's disability:

When I go into a dissociative state, I can't move. I totally freeze up. I can't go through doors, because I'm afraid that there will be nothing on the other side.

If a dog is specifically licking and nudging (let's call it tactile stimulation) and it mitigates my disability to move or go through doors, isn't that a task?

Saeleofu

Personally, I think a service dog is just an exceptionally trained dog that helps a person with a disability/condition somehow.
Now, if that includes licking/nudging on command, then so be it.. whatever it takes to help that person.
It's not a matter of personal opinion. It's a matter of a LEGAL DEFINITION.

Alerts, true alerts, are not a task. They are natural, and not specifically trainer. So they're not a task. Therefore a dog that only alerts to seizures is not a service dog. If that dog does seizure RESPONSE, then that is a task, just as Romy said.

When I go into a dissociative state, I can't move. I totally freeze up. I can't go through doors, because I'm afraid that there will be nothing on the other side.

If a dog is specifically licking and nudging (let's call it tactile stimulation) and it mitigates my disability to move or go through doors, isn't that a task?
How practical or realistic is it that if a dog licks your hand you'll suddenly be able to walk through a door? Wouldn't a batter task be to train the dog to lead you through a door, or to find a safe place for you to recover?

Just so we're clear, I personally would not have a problem with ESAs being allowed in public as long as they're trained for public access like a service dog is. However, I didn't write the law, and so they are not allowed in public (unless individual states allow it). Since the law requires a dog to be task trained, then yeah, I would insist that every service dog is task trained.

milos_mommy

How practical or realistic is it that if a dog licks your hand you'll suddenly be able to walk through a door? Wouldn't a batter task be to train the dog to lead you through a door, or to find a safe place for you to recover?
Pretty practical and realistic. If the dog was going to lead me through the door, I probably would not follow it. It would not make me think any more than I already think that there would be anything on the other side.

Tactile stimulation, feeling textures, and physical stimulation (being shaken or rubbed or hugged tightly) bring me back from thinking that I am not on the same plane of existence as the rest of the world or thinking nothing is real.

Recovering in a safe place could take hours. If a dog was licking, nudging, pawing, etc. at me, I would come out of it a lot faster. Kind of the same as fainting. Even if I do it for only a couple of seconds (I've never done it for more than 2 minutes, as far as I know) it would probably wake me up right away to have a dog stimulating me.

Members online

No members online now.