parvo

hollybea

well my friend has just lost her 2nd pup to parvo, the first one died saturday and the othe about half hour ago, she has one more still at the vet on a drip.

bubbatd

That's so sad . I don't understand parvo today when it can be prevented.

hollybea

well i spoke to the vet myself and even if rotties are vaccinated they can still get it for some reason.

Brattina88

I'm very sorry to hear that. Its so sad

but I don't understand. There's a vaccine. It doesn't matter what breed it is... :confused:

I had a friend who had a young dog that died of parvo. She made up all these stories about the dog being vaccinated and the dog got it anyway when she noticed that I was pretty upset that this happened. (because it could've been prevented)
Turned out the dog didn't have UTD shots at all :rolleyes: There was a miscommunication between her and the vet. But that happens all the time, vets give mult component shots and the owners just trust them to have everything covered, and often don't know what shots their dogs have had, and when . . .
sorry for the mini rant, lol

iloveprincess

i love RASCAL FLATTS!
Hi

There is no cure for parvo unless you treat it a t the exat moment it happens, the first sighn you should take it to the vet. Also you need to tell your friend that parvo lives in the ground for 7 years. So you need to tell your friend to spray the entire area with clorox or a VERY STRONG disenfectent.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
I'm sorry about your friend's pups, I hope the second one makes it.

I'm sure no one here is suggesting that the dogs weren't vaccinated. Right?
I was interested in the Rottweiler comment and went and did some searching.
Interesting reading out there.
To paraphrase...Rotts, Dobermans, GSDs and other black and tan dogs are more susceptible to Parvo.
Since Parvo can be carried in on shoes etc....it really could be possible for a young dog to not have enough immunity yet and get Parvo even though they've been vaccinated.
Now I don't know the story behind these dogs, heck I don't even know this poster....just hated to see that everyone jumped to the conclusion right away that the pups didn't have their shots.

Here's one of the many sites I found that made note of the black and tan breeds.
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
There is no cure for parvo.

Rotties are one of the few breeds that more susceptible to it than others.

I hope your friends pup can pull through. Parvo is ugly. :(

See this thread.

Your friend must bleach the hell out of his/her house! EVERYTHING must be cleaned and not just once. Parvo can survive in the worst of environments for a long time.

Brattina88

I'm sure no one here is suggesting that the dogs weren't vaccinated. Right?
Right... here anyway ;)

just curious - sorry if I was a little confusing on my post, just a little venting on my part I guess :lol-sign:

deb27

Parvo is so sad :( I just lost my puppy to parvo last month. He was up to date on vaccines, but still got it. And he never left the house!

My vet said here in vegas Parvo is SO bad right now, it's like a epedemic. Is isolation ward was full of Parvo puppies. he has never seen so many parvo cases before (he has been a vet for 20 years)

hollybea

i can understand why some would assume they had not had vaccinations but it is true about many black and tan breeds still getting it even after being vaccinated.
two of hers have died and one more is on a drip at the vet still.
thanks for your well wishes.
to top it all my mother in laws dog got hold of a block of rat poison on the farm last night, we dont even know where it came from as they are not where the dogs can get them at least we didnt think so. She had her stomach pumped and was given charcoal so now its a waiting game.

How sad. We get many parvo puppies at work, because where I live, it is a fight to get people to take their animals to the vet for the rabies shot, much less something that is not required by law. We vaccinate and a few days later, the puppies are sick. It can be the vaccine that does it to them, because most are live attenuated and if they haven't gotten any immunities from mom, it can take them over the edge. Good luck with your little one! I know he will need it, but it isn't completly hopeless.

hollybea

sickness and dioreah (spelling) lethargy. They go down hill fast.
She has just lost the 3rd puppy to it.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Diahrea (bloody especially, but bloody diahrea should be a red flag anyway you look at it), vomitting, and lethargy. Parvo kills the lining in the stomach which is where the blood comes from and why they vomit.

Also Parvo has a very distinct smell to it, very sickening in the feces form.

Also parvo lives in the ground for 6 months, not 7 years. It's still an incredibly long time though. And Parvo IS treatable, it's just not directly curable. But you can treat it, else it would have a 100% mortality rate, which it doesn't.

But I've never understood why people outright refuse to believe parvo is a problem. Every now and then we get people that deny the parvo vaccine because they think we're trying to milk them of money or something. Ludicrous. And no convincing, short of actually showing them a parvo puppy (if we happen to have any in at the moment) will change their minds. I feel for those dogs.

And what sucks is when they come in a few weeks/months later with, guess what?

Members online

No members online now.