ARGH! Stupid irresponsible Brother-in-law!

This is kinda long, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for from you guys. I guess I just know we all heart dogs and I wanna vent to people who care too...

My brother in law has a seriously bad history with dogs. The first dog he had when I entered the picture was a beautiful Siberian husky, Mace (brother to my puppy's mama.) He kept him in his back yard and paid no attention whatsoever to him. The dog's fur was matted all over the place and he was covered in fleas. He was not trained and he was big. I was in no position to take him at the time, not that he would have let me. Anyway, his girlfriend moved in with him and brought her emaciated, flea ridden beagle with her. After about a month, they dumped them at the local animal shelter.

This summer, he moved out to the country and decided he wanted a dog, even though he admitted he didn't have time to spend with it. My husband and I tried to talk him out of it, but he got a mini pinscher named Spike. They kicked Spike out of the house because he peed everywhere. (No kidding? puppies aren't born knowing where to go??) Spike started wandering the countryside. He was never given any attention and led a pretty sad life. He got attacked by some neighbor dogs last September and he died.

So what did the idiot decide to do? That's right! He got another dog. He talked to me about it. He said he wanted an adult dog that was already trained. I said, good luck. Good trained dogs generally belong to people who love their dogs and they don't get rid of them. He and girlfriend admitted that they didn't have time to spend with a dog. They asked me what I thought about them getting a lab. I told them right then that of all dogs for them to pick, a lab would be the worse possible choice because of all the attention they need and their high energy level. I again told them I thought they shouldn't get another dog. So they got a lab puppy. It's Spike all over again. Kicked out of the house for pottying inside. They put him in the garage. He ate 3 bags of trash. They put him outside. He ate a golf car seat and completely tore up their yard. So now he's chained to a tree. He's covered head to tail in mud and he just looks so sad. Labs need a family to love. They need to run and play. We got into a huge argument today about it because he wants to adopt one of my puppy's siblings. Their owners have already said no, thankfully.

He was complaining about the lab and how rowdy he is. I said, you better get used to it or find someone who loves labs to give her to, because she won't calm down for at least 2 years, with training and attention. He actually said, "I know all about labs. I'll work with her for a while this weekend." I said seriously, you haven't had time for any of the last 4 dogs you've had in the last year. Why can't you find someone who is willing to love and take care of this dog? He said they do love her, but they can't have her around their daughter because she knocks her over....SHOULDA THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE JACK***! TRAIN HER NOT TO DO THAT!

I took my brother out there last weekend. He is wanting very badly to adopt another lab puppy. He's an excellent dog owner and would do well with this dog. I wish there was some way I could talk brother in law into doing the right thing....and never getting another dog as long as he lives!

Fran27

Any way you could sneak in their yard and take that pup for your brother?

Some people are just hopelessly stupid.

Oh, gosh Mindy... my blood is BOILING!!!! :mad:

Give us his e-mail address and let us educate this DOG HATER!!!! This is CRUELTY!!! Is the poor lab just chained to a tree? Without shelter? What are the elements the poor thing has to endure???

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
i agree, try to sneak in a take that lab but make it look like it escaped or something. cut the collar so it looks like it broke it.

Amstaffer

I really really really hate people like that. They think dogs are like beanie babies, something cute that you just own.

I would steal the dog like others have said to.

If you would like I could take you Brother in Law Deer Hunting ;) if you would like me to...............

Juicy

Thing with stealing the dog, is that they are msot likely to get another dog and repeat the same cycle. I was thinking of ''rehoming'' my neighbor's dachshund, but I knew that as soon as their dog gets missing, they'll just replace it with another dog. I called animal control, but as long as they have the money to pay the fines, the dog needs his vaccine, actually all their dogs, and he's always roaming loose. When animal control comes, they usually stop letting thedog roam, but go back to letting him roam in about a week. I understand the family cares for the dog, but endangering his life and letting him roam is not very responsible of them, and even when enforce by the law, they still don't care, and I just wish animal control would just rehome the dogs and hopefully a ban on them having pets, because they also have cats roaming freely and no matter what, they still are going to let them roam free. And its just not a safety issues, them getting hit by cars and such, but they've also become kinda meancing, the dog knocks down the trash cans, and both the dog and cats feces everywhere on other people's yards.

katt

www.PhotoKat.net
can you call the ASPCA or animal control, saying you know someone who'll adopt the dog if they see reason to seize it. Maybe that way they'll be banned from owning dogs? (at least that can happen on animal planet you know. :)

Amstaffer

Cases like this make me wish you needed to have a license to own a pet. It shouldn't be a "right" but something you have to prove you can handle.

As for stealing the dog, y'all are right. He would just get another one. This is his 4th in about 18 months.

As for calling the ASPCA or animal control...we live in a rural community. There is no ASPCA. Animal control only cares about dogs who pose a danger to the community. I had a run in with them a few years back over a chow. Someone moved out of a house and left him tied to a tree by a chain that was less than a foot long. He looked like he had mange (turned out he was just matted to the skin) and he was covered in fleas. They came out and determined he had adequate shelter and since they couldn't locate the owner, they considered it stealing. I took him food and water for about a week and then I just took him. I took him to the vet and had him groomed, got him on flea medicine and got his vaccines. I took him to a no kill shelter in a bigger town (they aren't a great shelter, but I didn't want anything to happen to him. being that he's a "vicious" dog, our shelter would have euthanized him) A few weeks later, the shelter tracked me down and accused me of stealing him. I chewed them out and they left me alone....so anyway, they won't do anything. :(

Oh, as for shelter, he does have a dog house and I believe they feed him. But that's far from adequate care...

Amstaffer

Mindy Miller said:
As for stealing the dog, y'all are right. He would just get another one. This is his 4th in about 18 months.
:(
If you kept stealing his neglected dog won't he run out of money or get tired of the hassle? Won't the shelter he is getting his dogs from start wondering if he is eating them?

The last two dogs were given to him. Someone dumped the lab pup at one of his friend's house. I feel so terrible for this dog. My goal this weekend is going to be to get him to let me find a new home for him. If puppy can just hang on till we get out there (we're building out there) then I'll just take him to my house....

Members online