Saved a dog today!!

B

BlackDog

I was driving home from class and I saw this beagle running toward me in the middle of the road. This was a four lane road with heavy traffic. I stopped and tried to get the dog to come to me but it took off. So I followed in the direction it headed in. After chasing him for about 20 minutes I got her. She headed in to the parking lot of the mall and I stopped my side ways right infront of her and got out. I got on my knees and started calling her over. She didn't move but while talking softly to her she let me come up and pat her and grab her collar. Thank God she wasn't hurt. Four other cars pulled into the parking lot after me. They had all been chasing this dog. One guy told me he was chasing the dog for three hours and I was the only one the dog would let me get near her. We looked on her collar and found a number. The one guy called and left a message. The guy told me that he originally saw the dog running around in the parking lot by a near by department store. I told him I'd go over there and ask if anyone had asked about a missing dog. I gave the guy my number and took off. At the department store I talked to a cashier about the story and she started calling all these numbers to get in contact with someone about what to do with the dog until I could reach the owner. I was looking out the window and saw someone pull up next to my car and start looking into the windows. I went outside. The guy told me that some guy had called him telling him his dog would be here. He said he was bunny hunting and "Stacy" took off. The guy didn't seem to be very excited about finding his dog, although he offered me money that I wouldn't take. I told him how I found her and he put her in the back of his van in a small cage. Then he took off. I left good for saving the dog and finding the owner so quickly but I didn't get a good vibe from that guy. Stacy didn't seem happy to see him. She wouldn't come out of my car when he called her. I had to pull her out and carry her over to his van and she was clinging to me. When he said her name she started shaking. The cage, in my opinion, was too small her Stacy and he told her to "get in there" with a semi-stern voice. Maybe I'm just reading this situation wrong but I didn't get a good impression from him. She was kinda under weight too. But she was a wonderful dog. She had the best personality. She started licking me right after I found her. I wish I could have kept her. I seemed alot happier to be with her than the owner. But what could I do? Clearly it was his dog. He had gotten the phone call.

bubbatd

Some people just suck !!!! Poor Stacy !! Good going, with what you did !

Fran27

Good job. Poor dog though. Unfortunately it seems that lots of people who 'lose' their dogs just really don't care much about them :(

Oh, that breaks my heart! Poor Stacy is just a "tool" in this bunny killer's trade, not a pet! And it sure sounds like she wants to be a pet! No wonder she ran away from him! :mad:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I wouldn't be so hard on the owner. I know after Zeus got out of the yard once, my husband chased him for miles across suburbia. When the hubby finally found Zeus, it wasn't a joyous reunion either. It was my husband grabbing Zeus by the collar, and muttering about how he was going to break Zeus' legs so he couldn't run off again. :rolleyes:

I know he'd never do that. He loves that dog to death. But I do understand the frustration.

Pomp

Beagles follow their noses like you wouldn't believe. If they pick up a scent, they'll follow it no matter where it takes them.

avenlee

Gempress said:
I wouldn't be so hard on the owner. I know after Zeus got out of the yard once, my husband chased him for miles across suburbia. When the hubby finally found Zeus, it wasn't a joyous reunion either. It was my husband grabbing Zeus by the collar, and muttering about how he was going to break Zeus' legs so he couldn't run off again. :rolleyes:

I know he'd never do that. He loves that dog to death. But I do understand the frustration.

I agree. Upon the worrying and time and frustration ... well, I'd be happy and upset at the same time. Just like if my daughter was to stay out all night or something. After phone calls and searching and she came home, I wouldn't know whether to hug her or smack her.

X

xxxpoo

This sounds a little fishy.... IMO - It sounded like this guy who pulled up heard from a friend there was a lost puppy running around..... so he decided to get his crate/cage and went down there.... made up a fake name and took her from you..... Just my .02

You should have asked a few more questions.... not sure what, but a few more?

xxxpoo said:
This sounds a little fishy.... IMO - It sounded like this guy who pulled up heard from a friend there was a lost puppy running around..... so he decided to get his crate/cage and went down there.... made up a fake name and took her from you..... Just my .02

Give the guy (girl) a break! They saved the dog from being hit by a car and that's all that matters. Given the situation, what good would asking more questions do? Were they supposed to NOT give the dog back if they didn't like the answers?
Way to kick someone who has done a good deed. :(

Pam

B

BlackDog

Pomp said:
Beagles follow their noses like you wouldn't believe. If they pick up a scent, they'll follow it no matter where it takes them.
Exactly, which makes me wonder why someone would be hunting with their beagle around a heavily populated area. It's lack of common sence.

B

BlackDog

xxxpoo said:

Well, this guy had the number on the dog's tag memorized and he received the phone call from the other guy I met and knew where to pick the dog up. So unless this was some big scam between the original guy and the other guy, it was the real owner.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Wow - great conspiracy theories - making me smile ;)

Good for you for catching the dog before it got itself squished ;)

I am sure she will be fine!

Members online

No members online now.