Archie gets sick whenever I switch foods...

Tazwell

Archie's been on Canidae ALS since I got him one year ago. Three times I've tried to switch his food; unsuccessfully. First to Blue Buffalo, Then to Evo, and Now to Before Grain (Chicken).

Blue buffalo he got fairly ill with. Evo and B.G. he transitions fine, over about a 1-2 week period-- Normal poop and no vomiting. Now that he's been on B.G. for about 2 weeks, he begins vomiting- mostly in the morning. It's bits of things he ate the prior day, not just bile. And I fed him right before bed last night- so it's not acid reflux.

He's got a vet appt. today anyway, but I was wondering what this might be an intolerance to- or what the problem is. Maybe it's the fact that it's grain free? Dunno. I just know the vet will simply tell me "That stuff is bad, switch to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach!"

Either way, he did perfectly fine on Canidae. I just thought I would try to switch it up a little, especially now after their formula changes. I could always leave well enough alone and switch him back...

Just to add: Archie is about 10 years old, he's 40 lbs.

Tazwell

Yep. I mentioned that in my original post, I switch him over about 10-14 days. It's after he's switched and on it for a while that he gets sick.

I figure that it may be fish, since he gets sick when he eats fish sometimes-- maybe it's got more fish oil in it or something? I didn't change the primary protein source or anything like that.

I will keep him on this until the bag is almost gone, given that he doesn't get downright sick. It's too expensive, anyway. I'm thinking of trying Wellness or Evo next-- whichever might be easier on him...

Ohm

A Unit of Resistance
i was just reading this...
In other cases, middle age or older dogs lack pancreatic enzymes to digest food (PEI).
and thought it might relate to you and your situation. perhaps it's something you can look into.

i was reading it from this website...
http://petdiets.com/default.asp?Menu=FAQs&PageName=/faqs/default.asp

don't know if it's helpful but i see that you have an older dog. good luck, i hope you find an answer.

eta: sorry, on the website click dog nutrition>page 3>and view the middle article on diarrhea.

Members online

No members online now.