I promised her she wouldn't be left behind

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mary just had her first wagon ride around the block. I have held on to this wagon for years, using some in the garden but always being careful to keep it in good shape. WHen it was stolen last Christmas i was furious. Someone took it out of my carport, i know it was that night because i had books left in it from a garage sale and they had torn the pages out of them and littered the streets. .:rolleyes: But i found it the next spring, somewhat broken on the pile left outside a house for large trash. I brought it right back and put it in my carport. Mary's leg collapsed on her this morning when we were walking. I think she might have hurt it yesterday in her cliff climb:yikes: How she got up there i don't know and i was mystified as to how she was going to get back down or how i was going to get to her to walk her further down the creek where she could cross. But VIctor came to the rescue and he found a way she could manage. Cross my heart and swear on Pepper's head that is exactly what he did. SHe was walking ok at the start of our walk, and her leg didn't go out til we were back within the sight of our house. SHe has walked sore but on all 4 the rest of the day. We will take that as the sign it is time. SO when Logan returned Pepper and VIctor from their walk, we walked him back to his house with Mary being pulled in style.Logan Beefcake Butchy BOy and Cheeto went into their house and i pulled her the rest of the way around teh block with VIctor and Pepper :) SHe Liked it too. WE do have to do some modifications to the handle. ANd arrange some secure padding.

mrose_s

BusterLove
aww.

I was at the beach a while ago, someone was walking along with 3 mini poodles, 2 on leashes and one in a wagon. Too cute.

I have this picture in my head now, of Mary sitting in the wagon with it all decorated up like a float and Mary waving as she rolls down the sidewalk with Victor and Victoria prancing beside as attendants :D

ACooper

I have this picture in my head now, of Mary sitting in the wagon with it all decorated up like a float and Mary waving as she rolls down the sidewalk with Victor and Victoria prancing beside as attendants :D
I like that vision :)

I am glad she was included, it would be so heartbreaking for her to watch you all go without her.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
but she will need her crown to complete the outfit! :p
Happy to know Mary enjoyed her ride.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WE just came in for the night. Bootcamp isn't all work and walks. FIrst we played ghost in the graveyard:D joke..what we really did was play sit and stay in the doorway...then i hid around the corner, behind the tree..on the other side of the house and when i said come...guess who found me first each time. WHoever got there first got a bite of hamburger...then the one that came in second got a bite and Mary got one for making it at all...hers was the biggest. We did that 6 times. THen we played sit stay at the end of the yard. It is nice to have 2 acres. ANd then i backed up about 200 yards or so....and come whoever got there first got the first bite of hamburger...Victor made it this time instead of pepper. No matter how hard Pepper tried she couldn't beat him and she was so funny in her expressions.. He had enough of her finding me first on the first game;). I had a nice fire going in the chiminea so i brought out a couple blankets and put it on teh ground and layed down with them to enjoy the soft night air. By next week the mosquitos will start and that will be impossible. I wish it could stay like this always. I love this part of spring and the more i can stay outdoors the better. WE didnt' make it to Victor's valley and this was prolly better for training in the long run. My old boss said "make sure they are having 50 percent of the fun, never give a command you don't enforce, and always leave them wanting more". That was his three rules for training a puppy. WOrks for a pepperpot too. Mary is having a ball with the whole ordeal. She is included, she gets treats, and she has fun too. THis is the best way to train. IMO

bubbatd

Dear , sweet Mary !!! She's so lucky to have you !!! Bless you and all the doggies !

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I should rig up a harness and put Virgo to good use pulling Mary around the block! That is just so sweet and such a great picture of all of you out in the yard tonight.

Barb04

Super Moderator
How is our Mary doing this morning? I felt a tug at my heart when you said her leg was bothering her. Gentle hugs & kisses to you Mary!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
have given her an aspirin. It is her hocks, not the hips. THe joint is gone and the site is about twice as big as it normally would have been. Like a bunion. SHe has arthritis in hert toes too which has twisted one like a human's does.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
That's so sweet. When my little Shih Tzu I had as a child got up to about 14, he started having issues with arthritis, eyesight, and senility. But he loved to be out and about for walks, and I rigged up a wagon with blankies, pulling it in one hand, being dragged by Blossom in the other. He made it to 17, and I am so glad I took the extra effort to include my baby boy in his favorite things.

probably shouldn't hook up another dog to pull, I can just envision your poor pooch flying down the street when her puller sees a squirrel.... hehe..

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mine wouldn't go after a squirrel, tis a nonono. But it would be difficult going down the hill. While Logan and i were walking i told him i had pulled many a wagon. That when Aaron was a baby and Jess was 4 my ex and i had only one car, which for some reason he always had to have. So if i wanted to go anywhere of distance, since i had no stroller either, i used the wagon. To the grocery store, the laundry matt the drug store, the bus stop we went. I usually carried aaron, Jess followed and the stuff rode in. But when he got old enough i could prop him in there too i did. The wagon had little sides on it, was green and yellow. Mary's is like a flat bed truck.:D It's a bit tricky going down hill with a 60 lb dog aboard.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
probably shouldn't hook up another dog to pull, I can just envision your poor pooch flying down the street when her puller sees a squirrel.... hehe..
Virgo's not my squirrel chaser and she'd still be on a leash...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When she was a wee wittle girl with Sally and Garg i put 17 pickup truck loads of mulch into my backyard. ONe wheelbarrow at a time. I know because i loaded it too. It was like a park out there, NO mud despite i had 4 big ground pounding dogs. WHen i would load it up, the puppies 3 would follow me. When i unloaded it i would toss them in and wheel it back to the mountain that i had to move. Mary adored wheelbarrow rides. So she didnt' panic when i got her up on the platform of the wagon. SHe tried to rise a couple times and once she did get off but she walked for a while, until the leg buckled and she conceded that maybe it was a good idea after all. When i got her home she was silly happy. As happy as she had been the day she rode in the wheelbarrow. I kinda really hope she remembered. I feel some muscles today:rolleyes: but i will get use to it.

Today Vic, pepper and i are off to the guild. (after i have scrubbed him yet one more time to rid him of that awful odor) so Mary will be be at GG's. I had to put gel in her eyes, the med is keeping it mild but not making it go away. She hates it, Hopefully Gg will give her a treat or two. I told her she needs to rest. If i take her to the guild she will follow me back and forth and anx if i am out of sight.

pepper has needed no leash has not left the yard, came from the car to Gg's house, and back without even being told to come. Occasionally she melingering on come, making me tell her a couple times while she stands there and blinks at me, but that's ok. WE can work on that the nice slow way. She watches Victor's every move outside. She looks down the street, down the greenway. But she doens't take a step or make to dart away .TOday we are working on having the doors open and only going out when told to go out. SHe will be a far safer dog when all this is over with.

I am introducing my whistle which is slowly coming back, after a blow to the mouth i couldn't do that for a long time due to the scar tissue. Anyways i add that to my come because it carries further and she will know to respond to both.

Members online

No members online now.