Met My First Real Live Doodle

Last night after I got through at the gym, Dr. Dave asked me if I'd meet his dog, Maddie, who was waiting in the truck for him.

Technically, she's his son's dog. His son works in the film industry and he got Maddie, a Goldendoodle, from a trainer - she's definitely not a puppymill/byb product.

She could be Sophie's pale blond sister. Calm, sweet natured, an absolute love. She put her head out of the truck window and looked long into my eyes, then reached her nose toward me and touched my nose with hers and stayed there for a few seconds, then very softly gave me a gracious lick on the face :)

Oh, I can see now why people fall in love with Doodles . . . .

I've never met one, I love goldens , but do not like poodles of any sort,( I've known lots , and they were:confused: ) The doodles do look cute.

Sweet Renee *melts* Thanks for sharing, I love the way that you describe things.

Soph really is just as you described Maddie, very calm, gentle and such a love. I wish that you could meet her.. and I'm glad you got to meet Maddie.

DanL

There's a Golden Doodle pup in Daisy's class. We always stand next to each other because he's well behaved and he and Daisy are good influences on each other. He's 5 months old and a nice little guy.

The last class, the beginners that was after Gunnar's when it was on Saturdays, there were 2 doodles in there, and they were both completely out of control. It's obvious this guy works with his, where the others were not worked much.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Calm, sweet natured, an absolute love.

Oh, I can see now why people fall in love with Doodles . . . .
She must have been some doodle! The ones I've met are polar opposite to that. High strung, hyper, clumsy, and BIG which just exaggerates these features.

Of course, it may be the TYPE of person who gets a doodle around here does very little to curb these behaviours.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Technically, she's his son's dog. His son works in the film industry and he got Maddie, a Goldendoodle, from a trainer - she's definitely not a puppymill/byb product.

I thought, according to most of the Chazzers, that any dog that is not purebred, AKC, from a line of champions, etc....was from a byb? (Not trying to start WW3, just trying to understand this). :confused:

No, not necessarily. The origins of the Doodle lines were well intentioned and purposeful and there are SOME breeders out there responsibly making sure their lines are healthy and fit and temperamentally sound, who love these dogs and are doing right by them and the people who love them.

Personally, I don't have a problem with those people. The ones I have a problem with are the ones who are creating fads and creating doodles and ugs and poos indiscriminately just because there's a lot of money to be made.

And, just for the record, I have the utmost disdain for the AKC and the conformation-perfect cripples they've spawned.

Dekka

Just try me..
No, not necessarily. The origins of the Doodle lines were well intentioned and purposeful and there are SOME breeders out there responsibly making sure their lines are healthy and fit and temperamentally sound, who love these dogs and are doing right by them and the people who love them.

Personally, I don't have a problem with those people. The ones I have a problem with are the ones who are creating fads and creating doodles and ugs and poos indiscriminately just because there's a lot of money to be made.

And, just for the record, I have the utmost disdain for the AKC and the conformation-perfect cripples they've spawned.
:hail:

Sush

She must have been some doodle! The ones I've met are polar opposite to that. High strung, hyper, clumsy, and BIG which just exaggerates these features.

Of course, it may be the TYPE of person who gets a doodle around here does very little to curb these behaviours.
Yeah I've seen alot of doodles and not ONE would be described as calm in any way shape or form! They are adorable as puppies and lovely as adults though :) Now that I think of it, every owner was rich, from Los Angeles, and following the latest fad. Not the ingredients needed for a well minded pup.

Romy

Taxiderpy
One of the dogs in our rescue is a small black lab-doodle. I think her dad must have been a mini-poodle, because she topped out at 30 lbs. She is such a darling though! And her coat is sooo soft. The person fostering her is going to adopt her. I never liked the whole "doodle" thing, but after meeting her I can see why people mix them on purpose.

bubbatd

I'm only against BYBs who plan a Golden or Lab Poodle mix for the $$$ . I'm all for the Australian Breeders with their Labradoodles .....Most mutts that have Goldens in them are good mutts !

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
I'm all for the Australian Breeders with their Labradoodles.
:rolleyes: Just 'cause they're in Australia doesn't make them ok. We have the exact same problems with designer mutts here that you have over there. They're no different.

But I'll say no more. :eek:

Cass.

:rolleyes: Just 'cause they're in Australia doesn't make them ok. We have the exact same problems with designer mutts here that you have over there. They're no different.

But I'll say no more. :eek:

Cass.
It IS different. They are creating a new breed for a purpose. Its being fixed into a breed, and I believe a standard is being created. (but why would be need a standard for a working type dog :/)

bubbatd

That's my point .... they are bred for a reason and are proven ....many generations ......not like 1st timers here .

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
:rolleyes: Purpose, my butt. There is nothing a "doodle" can do that another established breed couldn't. I'll give you the point that the Guide dog association did create a cross breed (not a 'breed'...a mix) to give a blind woman because her husband was allergic. But as far as I'm aware the guide dog association breeds its own dogs and I don't include them when thinking or talking about breeders.
Outside of that there is NO purpose for them. They're not unique in their abilities, there is no job that they can do that another already well established breed couldn't already do. And there are as many bad breeders of designer mutts in Australia as there are in America (well..relatively speaking anway..smaller population and all). Yes, I'm like talking to a brick wall. But there are way too many dogs dying in shelters down here to condone the breeding of mixes or the "creation" of more unneccessary breeds.

And I will shut up now, sorry Renee for turning this into something it shouldn't have. :(

Cass.

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've met a couple of doodles like the one Renee described, and then just as many that are spazzy, high strung and neurotic.

Then again, I had a full golden loudly growl at me before going to hide in the corner of his room tonight and couldn't come out for anything. Any sort of eye contact, even the almost sort, just elicted another growl.

Sadly, this is the type of golden that many BYB's mix their doodles with, providing the rest of us with non-shedding high bite risks.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh Renee, I'm so glad you met the doodle. Carl & I both are in love with Sophie and wish we could meet her.

Fran27

To all those who support the Australian Labradoodle... Have you seen what puppy mills those places are? With probably 3 litters a month if not more? Sold at $2000 each? And yes, I'm talking about the two main places that are working on the breed.

They're 'making a breed' to make money, it's not different than anyone here.

Don't get me wrong, I think the dogs are great... but it still sickens me.

Members online

No members online now.