dogs need to work for praise...

Dana1215

I am looking for some ideas on giving my dogs things to do for praise...any "different" ideas?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Riot gets praise whenever he does something good. Praise is either a tug o war game, a pat, a gentle word, cuddling etc.

Some tricks you could start teaching your dog that is basic everyday needs would be;

Wait - to stand still and not move at all in the same spot. Almost like stay, but shorter time and they have to remain frozen everywhere. Very handy for picture taking lol Riot knows this command

Hold - to hold an object in its mouth for a consistant amount of time

Give - to give something back

Off - to not touch, or look at the object of their desire. an example would be food. with Riot, I can drop food on the floor, he'll look at it. I tell him off and he'll immidiately stop watching it and watch me

Watch Me - this reinforces the listening command and they stay more attentive to you. I ask Riot to "watch me" before I give him any command, this way I know he'll hear it and I know hes paying attention to focus on doing the command. So to teach this, you say "watch me" SOON as they look at you praise them consistantly. Gradually increase the watch me vs. praise and they will eventually keep their eyes on you consistantly a VERY handy Obedience trick

Get In/Up - Riot will jump in, out, up, and under anything I point to and say "get in, or get up". Ex. would be the bath tub full of water. He doesn't like it, but he'll do it for praise lol

Stand - to stand up from sitting or a down

Members online

No members online now.