Bark Eating

tcreed

We have lots of bark in the back yard, and after he goes potty, it's a mad dash to see if he can snatch a mouthful of bark and swallow before I get to him. Is bark in small quantities harmful? Any idea on how to stop this?

Tricia

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My dogs have always loved to eat elm leaves..i know they contain some aspirin. It never seemed to hurt them a bit, nor disrupt their digestion. do you know what kind of tree? Maybe it is tasty too.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I wouldn't think it's too healthy. A lot of the bark is treated against insects. I can't use it in my yard because Max will chew it. I also had to get rid of all the white rocks used as decoration because he would try to eat & swallow them.

Debi

that's funny, my dogs are attracted to it, too. Given the opportunity, they'd surely snatch a piece....but going near my precious flower beds is a big no-no, one of the first things they learned....nothing makes the mom more upset than even thinking of stepping near the flowers!! lol Maybe they are treated with something that the dogs finds tasty...I never thought of that before.

That stuff is treated with chemicals, so you'll probably want to either put some kind of fencing around it if that will keep your pup out of it, otherwise, you'll want to find an alternative mulch.

bubbatd

If you're talking about mulch, yes some is treated....what I have is natural mulch but it is mixed with manure....luckily it's not a Chip favorite.!!! I do have natural bark in some areas but don't think it's been treated. Interesting to look into !

How do you keep the dogs out of flowerbeds and mulch...I have a weed bed thanks to the babies, can't even have a plant inside. As soon as you turn your back one of them has it in pieces with dirt on their noses. Kills me but is also way too cute. I used to have the BEST flower garden outside. Oh - those were the days!!

tcreed

Speaking of roses, I chopped down a HUGE one today because it was bare root stock, anyway, Dante kept running by trying to chew it like a chew toy. He ended up getting a thorn in his paw, and then I put him away while I finished working. The little stinker! ;)

Members online